Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
If grant is fired this season......I want us to go after Ben howland.....he is the most successful coach that is available.....only 2 other coaches besides him have taken teams to back to back final fours.....and matter fact, Howland did it 3 times in a row of I recall correctly.....plus I believe he will do the best coaching job as he will coach with a chip on his shoulder given how things ended at UCLA.....he has something to prove
Not sure our BOT want the rep that precedes him
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/...rol-highly-recruited-players-according-report

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Jeff Van Gundy! K.C. Jones!! Dick Motta!!!

(Wholeheartedly agree with you, L.D. if there are viable candidates out there.)
What about Mark Jackson?.....he's available after golden state let him go but he did a pretty good job there

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
my two choices.. 1. n iowa coach ro stansbury.. i know things ended with an explosion at miss state, but he did really well there.. just had some bad apples go crazy imho

honarable mention to richmond coach

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
No way would I want Stansbury or Howland. I'd rather see a mid major coach than those two. With what we pay we could draw a decent name for sure. We need a coach like Pearl that brings energy into the building, and promotes the fact that if a kid comes to Titletown he has a chance to dance in the NCAA's and can go watch championship football on the side.

TidenLA

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2001
Sparks, Nevada
No way would I want Stansbury or Howland. I'd rather see a mid major coach than those two. With what we pay we could draw a decent name for sure. We need a coach like Pearl that brings energy into the building, and promotes the fact that if a kid comes to Titletown he has a chance to dance in the NCAA's and can go watch championship football on the side.
Because a Mid Major did so well for us.....NOT

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
When I was in junior high school I'd listen to Doug Layton do the radio broadcasts in the late 60's-early 70's.
There was no television, strictly radio.
I loved Bama basketball so much that I'd keep a scorebook, listening to the radio.
Now..and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I just simply don't care.
Six years of "almost", has beaten me into submission.
We're really bad.
Talk about injuries all you want. When everybody was healthy, we still blew games in the final seconds.
I don't know the answer.
If I was Bill Battle I'd probably try to hire an assistant from Duke or a similar program.
But until we actually start filling up Coleman, at least somewhat, we can forget it.
And don't say, "Start winning games and I'll buy a ticket".
I was at UA in 76 when we were ranked 2 in the nation and a game against Mississippi State would draw 5,000 fans.
In all honesty, Bama is a football school, and now, more than ever, it's going to be almost impossible to have a good basketball team.
At least Grant graduates players.
Again, I'd love to see alternatives, but I'm not sure what they are at this point.
sip

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I really like coach Grant and think he is an outstanding man who one day will become a really good head coach. If not head, a really good assistant. Regardless of how much I or any of us like him the truth is he has totally lost the fan support which inevitably affects recruiting. He has to go and has to go this year as it is only going to get worse for him.

I know he is a proud man but he has to know the writing is on the wall. I would really respect him more if he would just step down and make the decision for coach Battle. There is nothing wrong with failure as we all fail from time to time, failure is to be human. he should realize that he has failed on this attempt and step back, regroup and wait on the next opportunity, maybe go back to assistant coaching. At the very least take a step back or two and try something new at a new place.

I really like coach Grant but sadly it did not work at Bama. :(

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Well, I can guarantee you one thing. If Bama had the #2 team in the country today, there would be a packed house. Heck, there was a very good crowd at the UGA game, despite Bama being a team on the road to nowhere.

The reason our program is in the shape it is in is because of us having hired the wrong coaches since Wimp. 23 years, only 8 NCAA tournament teams. It's the same reason why Bama football wandered in the wilderness 1997-2006. We didn't have the right man for the job.

Hire the right coach, we'll have a good team. Not impossible, at all.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sip, I agree and disagree at the same time.

The other night, the SEC Network ran our 2011 home game with Auburn, maybe the worst basketball game ever played. Just awful. But the place was packed and loud and on its feet urging the team along. That's because it was Auburn, you say? Except, the commentators mentioned that it was our third sell-out in a row.

Will we ever sell every ticket? No. But we have a long tradition of supporting our teams that goes way beyond football. It stretches back to the days when many in the crowd were still getting their minds around the fact that the basketball players weren't all white.

That kind of support is still possible with the right coach and team. College kids want to have fun. Right now we're offering them the hoops equivalent of a two-hour, evening lecture on a boring subject.

When I was in junior high school I'd listen to Doug Layton do the radio broadcasts in the late 60's-early 70's.
I loved Bama basketball so much that I'd keep a scorebook, listening to the radio.
We're really bad.
Talk about injuries all you want. When everybody was healthy, we still blew games in the final seconds.
I don't know the answer.
If I was Bill Battle I'd probably try to hire an assistant from Duke or a similar program.
But until we actually start filling up Coleman, at least somewhat, we can forget it.
I was at UA in 76 when we were ranked 2 in the nation and a game against Mississippi State would draw 5,000 fans.
In all honesty, Bama is a football school, and now, more than ever, it's going to be almost impossible to have a good basketball team.
Again, I'd love to see alternatives, but I'm not sure what they are at this point.
sip

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Sip, I was a student at UA from 1988-92 when we were a top 25 program and we regularly sold out Coleman especially during the SEC season. I remember playing a game at the BJCC during that time against Southern Miss (I think) and we sold that game out. We also had some fairly decent out-of-conference games that were sellouts. We played UNC, UVA, WF that brought in large crowds. During that time the student population at UA was about 16000 and now it is double that. If we have the right person in place we will pack out Coleman on a regular basis.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
We're really bad.
I don't know the answer.
sip
Why do we have to settle for a Duke assistant? Is it impossible for us to hire someone like Jay Wright? I guess I just don't understand.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Why do we have to settle for a Duke assistant? Is it impossible for us to hire someone like Jay Wright? I guess I just don't understand.
I think when someone says "I just simply don't care", you have to take anything said after that in context.

And yet, I understand the frustration, just don't agree with some of the comments.

First, more than just Duke-assistant types will think that they can come in and when at Alabama. We have been a sleeping program for a while (Alabama football was in the same condition not long ago, but I am in no way comparing the two in tradition).

Second, with the right coach, and after the winning begins, the building will begin to fill again, as has been mentioned by posters above.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I don't think "football school" and "basketball school" are mutually exclusive. There are plenty of schools, including those in the SEC who regularly promote, recruit for and do quite well in both sports. I don't see why we have to be defined as a "football school". Nor do I think we should. It was only a couple of years ago that we won NC titles in 6 sports in the same year. This said, I have to believe in all sincerity that if the Tide can perform greatly in a myriad of other sports, there's no reason in the world basketball can't be among them. JMHO

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
We're really bad.
I don't know the answer.
sip
I agree with most of what you say. This team is so lackluster and boring, and they seem to do nothing but pass the ball around the perimeter until it makes everyone's heads spin. I used to love watching Alabama basketball, but they're so uninspiring now i wouldn't care if we just got rid of the program. They have no killer instinct, and don't seem to have any sense of urgency to score. Just horrible coaching. And i was such a fan of CAG when we hired him - i thought he would be just the spark we needed. But he shows no emotion on the sideline either - like he's just watching the clock and waiting for the next paycheck to arrive, win or lose. Very bizarre situation to say the least.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I hear it all the time:
"I don't feel like watching - because we are playing so bad - it's no fun."

Of course it's much more fun to watch your team doing well....and winning.

A quote that has always stuck with me is:
"You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out, but you gotta suit up for them all." ~ J. Askenberg

Every college program has die hard fans who support the team "through all kinds of weather". Those are my kind of fans.

Losing sucks but even worse is when you abandon your team just because they are not playing as well as you want them to.

I'm not directing this to anyone here - just sharing my view point.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
No -- he succeeded because he was 6'7" - could jump with impressive hang-time, played for "perhaps" the best college coach ever, and surrounded himself with talent that knew their place on the team......
And was defensive player of the year a few times too. When you win it the same year you win MVP that says something.

Because a Mid Major did so well for us.....NOT
And you think our solution is to hire Stansbury or Howland? I never said we should go that route, I simply said I'd rather see that now than to see Grant on the bench next year. Big difference buddy.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
No -- he succeeded because he was 6'7" - could jump with impressive hang-time, played for "perhaps" the best college coach ever, and surrounded himself with talent that knew their place on the team......
OK point taken....but his statement points out that along with success also comes failure......and lots of it.

That's the "takeaway" of the post.

Not everyone can handle the failures. Not everyone can keep going. Regardless of other factors.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, I agree and disagree at the same time.

The other night, the SEC Network ran our 2011 home game with Auburn, maybe the worst basketball game ever played. Just awful. But the place was packed and loud and on its feet urging the team along. That's because it was Auburn, you say? Except, the commentators mentioned that it was our third sell-out in a row.

Will we ever sell every ticket? No. But we have a long tradition of supporting our teams that goes way beyond football. It stretches back to the days when many in the crowd were still getting their minds around the fact that the basketball players weren't all white.

That kind of support is still possible with the right coach and team. College kids want to have fun. Right now we're offering them the hoops equivalent of a two-hour, evening lecture on a boring subject.
I'd agree with that. There's no way playing the way we are "designed" to play can be fun.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.