Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Why does CAG send his assistants to stand in for him on Hey Coach appearances? This has always bothered me. Even CNS sees the value of these appearances before the fans as a way to connect and get buy-in.
This is a reason I'm not a huge CAG fan, he refuse to get out there and campaign for the program. People here can say many negative things about Pearl but, at least he's been out there campaigning for his program, almost annoyingly so.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This is a reason I'm not a huge CAG fan, he refuse to get out there and campaign for the program. People here can say many negative things about Pearl but, at least he's been out there campaigning for his program, almost annoyingly so.
I don't recall anyone saying anything negative about Bruce Pearl's coaching ability or the effectiveness of motivating his players.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think that at this point CAG just needs to go. The problem is that the admin (THAT'S YOU Mr. Battle) just doesn't care about anything but football. That's sad because if MR BATTLE would take a little interest in bball and could put a winning program on the court (meaning getting to the SECCG more years than not and not being on the bubble of the NIT but being INVITED to the big table) the fans would fill the coliseum and we could have a respected program. BUT, MR. BATTLE & CO just don't care enough. It's just like baseball.
Really? Because Bill Battle didn't fire Anthony Grant last year, he doesn't care about basketball? Please tell me who you wanted to replace Grant last year without naming Bruce Pearl.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
I think that at this point CAG just needs to go. The problem is that the admin (THAT'S YOU Mr. Battle) just doesn't care about anything but football. That's sad because if MR BATTLE would take a little interest in bball and could put a winning program on the court (meaning getting to the SECCG more years than not and not being on the bubble of the NIT but being INVITED to the big table) the fans would fill the coliseum and we could have a respected program. BUT, MR. BATTLE & CO just don't care enough. It's just like baseball.
What other quality coach with integrity, head coaching experience, and that can recruit would u hire right now that is available???? Being a head coach for Alabama basketball is not a job coaches are beating down the door to get....firing a guy just because he's had 2 losing seasons and only one ncaa appearance believe it or not is not the answer.....

Let's say we fire him, then now, we lose recruits and possibly current players on the team that wanted to play for only him.....now you've got a rebuilding job that's gonna take 3-4 years....it would be different if this Alabama team was terrible....they're not....8-3 with no bad losses sounds pretty decent to me and clearly the team is much improved from last year and team plays with better chemistry....does that credit not go to coach grant......

I'm convinced, some of y'all just don't like coach grant no matter if he wins or not...we could make the ncaa tournament this year and y'all still would be demanding we fire him smh

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
My biggest problem with the program is that it seems like every year teams improve throughout the season and we stay the same.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Good Point. Would a change now push recruits to Auburn? To me only a "Rockstar" hire would beat API at this point with recruits.

What other quality coach with integrity, head coaching experience, and that can recruit would u hire right now that is available???? Being a head coach for Alabama basketball is not a job coaches are beating down the door to get....firing a guy just because he's had 2 losing seasons and only one ncaa appearance believe it or not is not the answer.....

Let's say we fire him, then now, we lose recruits and possibly current players on the team that wanted to play for only him.....now you've got a rebuilding job that's gonna take 3-4 years....it would be different if this Alabama team was terrible....they're not....8-3 with no bad losses sounds pretty decent to me and clearly the team is much improved from last year and team plays with better chemistry....does that credit not go to coach grant......

I'm convinced, some of y'all just don't like coach grant no matter if he wins or not...we could make the ncaa tournament this year and y'all still would be demanding we fire him smh

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I believe that we could attract a decent coach. We are in the top 20 as far as paying a coach. Top 20. We are not a top program right now, but there are competitive facilities (aside from an decent arena) to be successful. Bama Basketball would be a 'rock star" event with a decent coach who promotes the program and wins. We are no different now than when Florida hired Billy Donovan. When we hired CAG we thought we were hiring and hot up and coming coach, but it turned out not so much.. There are plenty of coaches out there who would kill to have our job.

I respect coach Battle and he does care about basketball as he does all of our sports. He has been to more sporting events(other than football games) in the last year and a half than Mal went to his entire time as AD. I assure you he cares about basketball.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Do you just let the program hit rock bottom without even trying? I don't pretend to know who might be available out there no more than we did when we were going down hill in football but the admin made a strong move there and we see what happened. Money talks and for the right amount we could hire someone to turn the program around. I can surely tell you this and only someone who is totally oblivious can't see that CAG is not getting it done. He's been here 6 years and we still PRAY to get into the NIT at the end of the year.

Yeah, the basketball program needs a change sooner rather than later whether we like it or accept it or not.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think these are all "legitimate" questions from both sides of the issue. I suppose the PTB will ponder and not make a decision unless we have someone in mind. I do think we are far from "Rock Bottom" though.

Do you just let the program hit rock bottom without even trying? I don't pretend to know who might be available out there no more than we did when we were going down hill in football but the admin made a strong move there and we see what happened. Money talks and for the right amount we could hire someone to turn the program around. I can surely tell you this and only someone who is totally oblivious can't see that CAG is not getting it done. He's been here 6 years and we still PRAY to get into the NIT at the end of the year.

Yeah, the basketball program needs a change sooner rather than later whether we like it or accept it or not.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think it is possible that we will have CAG for another 2 yrs possibly if for nothing more than to save money on his buyout. If he keeps it at this level while stagnant it not like he is wrecking the program at this level. I don't think there is enough interest in paying a $4m buyout for CAG and possibly that much for his replacement too. Sure you afford to do it for football but the economics aren't there for basketball.

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
My personal opinion is that CAG is not a good enough game coach. When the team has won under him, it is often in spite of him. Poor clock management, not calling apporopriate time-outs, etc. (the basics) More than once I've seen him quit coaching at the end of games when we still had a chance to win. That, in my book, is unforgiveable.
Knowledgable basketball fans agree:
"Thank goodness I didn't leave my office holiday party early to watch this (Wichita St.) game. Only caught the last 8 min. However, I did attend the Xavier game since I happened to be on a business trip near Cincy. The old XU fan I sat next to made some rather insightful statements. He said we looked poorly coached team from a fundamentals standpoint and Grant didn't seem to have a sense how to manage a game - from subsitutions, to calling time outs, to making adjustments within the game, to having set plays from time outs and in bound situations. He was saying this after watching one game. He knew Grant was a defensive coach and was surprised the game was turning into a shoot out with zero defense. Told him the heat was high on Grant and the biggest criticism from fans was the lack of offense. This year was showing signs of an improvement but somehow we weren't as good defensively. He told me (almost word for word), the Xavier game almost looked like Grant was telling his team not to play defense. He said most coaches have their philosophy and they don't radically change them for the fans. Almost looked like Grant was purposely saying "see, even if we score 84 we still lose if we don't focus on defense first." He predicted Grant would return to his comfort zone, focus on defense and the team would likely return to low scoring, close games and likely lose games we shouldn't. After 6 yrs if he hasn't proven how to win the games he shouldn't, or not get outcoached in the final minutes, it would be surprising if he finally figured it out this year. What happened after that prediction? Lethargic, offensively challenged game against a bad Tenn Tech team. A great defensive game against a top team with an epic collapse that is squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. Does anyone with any basketball knowledge really believe that any of the other 13 SEC coaches would have lost that game with an 11 pt lead with 6 min to go? There wasn't one single coaching moment in the final 6 min that leads me to believe Bama will ever have a top 20 team under CAG. And I truly believe if we had Kevin Stallings or Frank Martin we would be undefeated. Iowa St and Xavier were very winnable with the players we have.
The Xavier fan's comments were identical to ones I had heard by fans of Villanova, Purdue, VCU, Okie St, Kansas St, etc. VCU fans said they liked Grant but once they got Shaka Smart they realized Grant wasn't a 'game coach.'"

RichTide

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
To add just a little more to this post directly above (Drifter's post) and to respond to another previous post: We may not be at rock bottom right now, but if the program is not turned around to start heading UP then we certainly will hit rock bottom.
Another thing I've noticed about CAG (when I get to see some games) is that there is not much fire/emotion or trying to pump his players up during the games. He just sits/stands there all stoic and everything. Has he gotten upset a time or two? Yes, but mainly at the officials. He does not appear to do much of any coaching at all during the game.
Now, for those who say I just don't like CAG, go on back to my posts when Alabama was in the hunt for a coach and was seriously considering CAG. I was all for it and he seemed to be a good hire at the time based on VCU making it to the tournament (not the NIT either) but he just hasn't turned out that way as much as I would love for him or any other coach at Alabama in any sport to do well.
To me, this is not about CAG on a personal level. This is about Alabama making a commitment to putting a good, competitive team on the court who can actually compete for SEC championships and not just be the warm up team for those in our conference who do compete.
Plus, our softball and gymnastics coaches (at least when Sara Patterson was gymnastics coach) has done more to promote their squads than CAG ever thought about. Hence, big crowds and winning programs with softball & gymnastics and not near the budget.
It can be done if the right people are committed and serious about having a competitive team.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
To add just a little more to this post directly above (Drifter's post) and to respond to another previous post: We may not be at rock bottom right now, but if the program is not turned around to start heading UP then we certainly will hit rock bottom.
Another thing I've noticed about CAG (when I get to see some games) is that there is not much fire/emotion or trying to pump his players up during the games. He just sits/stands there all stoic and everything. Has he gotten upset a time or two? Yes, but mainly at the officials. He does not appear to do much of any coaching at all during the game.
Now, for those who say I just don't like CAG, go on back to my posts when Alabama was in the hunt for a coach and was seriously considering CAG. I was all for it and he seemed to be a good hire at the time based on VCU making it to the tournament (not the NIT either) but he just hasn't turned out that way as much as I would love for him or any other coach at Alabama in any sport to do well.
To me, this is not about CAG on a personal level. This is about Alabama making a commitment to putting a good, competitive team on the court who can actually compete for SEC championships and not just be the warm up team for those in our conference who do compete.
Plus, our softball and gymnastics coaches (at least when Sara Patterson was gymnastics coach) has done more to promote their squads than CAG ever thought about. Hence, big crowds and winning programs with softball & gymnastics and not near the budget.
It can be done if the right people are committed and serious about having a competitive team.
I really don't think "emotion" or "stoicism" has anything to do with being a good coach. It may make fans feel good, but it doesn't do anything as far as being a "game coach". Look at Will Muschamp and Coach K. Two contrasting demeanors.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wichita State just lost to George Washington by 6 points. That Wichita State loss will probably look a lot worse as the season goes on..

Last edited:

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Wichita State just lost at home to George Washington by 6 points. That Wichita State loss will probably look a lot worse as the season goes on..
Wichita state was not at home.....they were in Hawaii part of a holiday tournament ....and how do you figure this will end up being a bad loss as the season goes on? Wichita state is a good team

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wichita state was not at home.....they were in Hawaii part of a holiday tournament ....and how do you figure this will end up being a bad loss as the season goes on? Wichita state is a good team
Because they only beat Hawaii and us (Bama) by one point. I would be surprised if Wichita State finishes the season ranked. The Wichita State loss was a top 10 loss when they beat us. It will be a loss to an unranked team by the end of the season IMO..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The only thing I ask for is a Coach that is a "teacher" and a "learner". CMG didn't fit this bill and so far neither has CAG. Hopefully, people change.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
The only thing I ask for is a Coach that is a "teacher" and a "learner". CMG didn't fit this bill and so far neither has CAG. Hopefully, people change.
I live here in Florida, so I don't know. I was wondering how good is the High School Basketball in Alabama and Mississippi. This was the recruiting area for CWS and CCMN, pretty much everybody that ever coached at Alabama. We have the Mr. Basketball from last year. I know we lost a few to Kentucky, but can the area high schools fill the bill for Alabama and Auburn year in, year out. If you watch the top tier programs, you can see a major size difference and talent level.

If you are not getting a constant pipeline from Local High Schools you are going to be constantly rebuilding. Just thinking out loud.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I agree. Looks like UK, UF, and other programs have very big and mature players. Many times it's the "Jimmy and Joes" and not the "X's and O's)!

I live here in Florida, so I don't know. I was wondering how good is the High School Basketball in Alabama and Mississippi. This was the recruiting area for CWS and CCMN, pretty much everybody that ever coached at Alabama. We have the Mr. Basketball from last year. I know we lost a few to Kentucky, but can the area high schools fill the bill for Alabama and Auburn year in, year out. If you watch the top tier programs, you can see a major size difference and talent level.

If you are not getting a constant pipeline from Local High Schools you are going to be constantly rebuilding. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.