Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Anybody thought about Memphis coach josh pastner? Tireless recruiter (which is something we need in order to compete with Bruce pearl for recruits in the state and elsewhere) and he runs same dribble drive offense as John calilpari since he was an assistant under him...Memphis has been consistently in the ncaa tournament every year he's been the head coach....

The question is would he leave Memphis.....not sure....I think from what I've read he gets paid 2.5 million annually

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I don't have a problem with the way we play provided it translates to wins. What people are really upset about it is the late game fades. Sure it's okay to play defense most of the game but if you are going to end up in a bunch of close games as a result your better have a good end game offense and the players who can execute a 2 minute offense. We have neither. That is why Grant's defense first philosophy for the whole game doesn't fit with our personnel.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone posted this on another forum and I thought it would fit here in this thread, when Grant first arrived he promised an exciting brand of basketball. Full court press, fast break offense, etc. We did that for a couple of years and were very successful in 2010 (CAG's 2nd season) finishing 12-4 in the SEC and NIT runner-ups to a very good Wichita State team. The committee gave us the shaft because it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that we deserved to be in the tourney that year. Then in 2011 with a top-notch recruiting class to go with the returning veterans we blew the doors off the Puerto Rico tourney against some pretty good opponents. However, even during that tourney we saw Grant start to slow things down which led to very obvious frustration by some of our players (Mitchell, Green, and, to a lesser extend, Releford). After that tourney it seemed like Grant clamped down on the reins and we've been mostly a slow-down, half-court offense and defense team ever since. What happened? Why did he abandon that style of play which the players and fans really enjoyed and seemed to be successful? I have always heard it was a depth problem but we had more depth in 2011 than in 2010. We did make the NCAA tourney in 2011 but quite frankly that team was not as good as the 2010 team even though the overall talent level was better. We all blamed Mitchell and Green for being cancers on the team but for awhile now I have been of the opinion that Grant mishandled them both badly. I'm not saying they were choirboys but that he did not manage their emotions very well. I'll hang up and listen to others response/thoughts.
I've wondered where the press defense and transition offense went. We haven't really seen it since Tony Mitchell was suspended. We have the players and depth to run it now, but we don't do it. When we do press or double team, we tend to get a steal and transition basket.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't have a problem with the way we play provided it translates to wins. What people are really upset about it is the late game fades. Sure it's okay to play defense most of the game but if you are going to end up in a bunch of close games as a result your better have a good end game offense and the players who can execute a 2 minute offense. We have neither. That is why Grant's defense first philosophy for the whole game doesn't fit with our personnel.
The thing is that the "way we play" translates to losing!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Starting out by going into a hole early and having to play catch-up all game long doesn't help either.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Great news for the Kentucky game - Ricky is out with a lower leg injury. If it's severe, that will probably cause problems throughout the remainder of the season.

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
Anybody thought about Memphis coach josh pastner? Tireless recruiter (which is something we need in order to compete with Bruce pearl for recruits in the state and elsewhere) and he runs same dribble drive offense as John calilpari since he was an assistant under him...Memphis has been consistently in the ncaa tournament every year he's been the head coach....

The question is would he leave Memphis.....not sure....I think from what I've read he gets paid 2.5 million annually
My sources say he would. And he is not appreciated by the Memphis fanbase.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
My sources say he would. And he is not appreciated by the Memphis fanbase.
I think he would be a coach that could go toe to toe with Bruce pearl and calilpari for recruits which is something we need....would love to see this hire

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I think Battle keeps CAG no matter what happens this year. As long as he goes .500 or better, he keeps his job. God, I hope I'm wrong.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I think Battle keeps CAG no matter what happens this year. As long as he goes .500 or better, he keeps his job. God, I hope I'm wrong.

Don't think so. When Cecil Hurt gives you the time for a change column it is usually all over, but the shouting. I suspect we may be in contact with agents pretty soon behind the scenes. I think there are members of the BOT who will demand a change. If this comes down to money, and I don't think it will, it'd be shame.

Heard some interesting stuff on CBB which contradicts my earlier thoughts on him. Suffice it to say, I think he likely will be fairly short term so take that may affect the administrations decision.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Don't think so. When Cecil Hurt gives you the time for a change column it is usually all over, but the shouting. I suspect we may be in contact with agents pretty soon behind the scenes. I think there are members of the BOT who will demand a change. If this comes down to money, and I don't think it will, it'd be shame.

Heard some interesting stuff on CBB which contradicts my earlier thoughts on him. Suffice it to say, I think he likely will be fairly short term so take that may affect the administrations decision.
I personally feel CBB only cares about 1 thing, football... He can give a horses rear if basketball wins or loses...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I personally feel CBB only cares about 1 thing, football... He can give a horses rear if basketball wins or loses...
The football program supports the maority of the rest of the sports programs. Basketball is about as profitable as was UAB football. Except that it doesn't have to be that way. More emphasis could be put on hiring the right coaches who recruit the right players and teach not only the fundamentals but offensive and defensive strategies. That should translate into winning more games which means more fans in the seats which means a more profitable basketball program. But it's like building a house or any other structure. You have to start with a sound foundation.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Just a trivial insight into coaching (or not). Houston, with ex-'Bama forward DeVonta Pollard in the lineup, beat defending NCAA champion UConn yesterday. Houston had one, count 'em one turnover for the entire game. Pollard scored 12 points and got a lot of defensive attention from UConn that left his teammates free for taking threes. Of course, he was able to kick the ball back out to them, too...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
The football program supports the maority of the rest of the sports programs. Basketball is about as profitable as was UAB football. Except that it doesn't have to be that way. More emphasis could be put on hiring the right coaches who recruit the right players and teach not only the fundamentals but offensive and defensive strategies. That should translate into winning more games which means more fans in the seats which means a more profitable basketball program. But it's like building a house or any other structure. You have to start with a sound foundation.
I could be wrong but I thought that the basketball program was around break-even to small profit every year?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.