Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I voted NIT and coaching change.

I HOPE he proves me wrong, and we make the NCAA tournament, but in my own projections I have us sitting at like 20-11/19-12 range going in to the SEC tournament...
That was my projection going in to this season, and we need to play very well to even hit that mark to finish the season. I have been a staunch supporter of CAG, but I believe it is time for a change. I have stopped posting in the BBall forum, though I have not quit watching, because the frustration has just gotten to the point where it is hard to deal with. I won't rehash what everyone else says week in and week out, we all know the problems. I think it is time for solutions from the administration.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I expected this team to struggle because of the lack of inside punch, but I have to agree with LDLane in assessing blame on coaching deficiency.
It may be unfair with the late-season injury nightmare . . . but . . . Isn't the head coach responsible for having a roster with more than two inside scoring and rebounding threats?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I don't know where you are seeing this in the poll unless you think Bama will make the NCAA tournament.

Over 60% of the votes fall in to the categories of "NCAA and no coaching change", "NCAA tourney run and no change", or "NIT and no change". So that means a majority didn't think there would be a change...that's where he sees it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So the poll results show a majority of posters don't think there will be a coaching change. I wonder what the numbers would be if we started the poll anew. Surely a lot of people would change their minds.
I will post an "End of Year Poll" next week!
I don't know where you are seeing this in the poll unless you think Bama will make the NCAA tournament.
Over 60% of the votes fall in to the categories of "NCAA and no coaching change", "NCAA tourney run and no change", or "NIT and no change". So that means a majority didn't think there would be a change...that's where he sees it.
I voted weeks ago and for the life of me I can't remember (think I voted that we wouldn't make the dance and a coaching change would happen). I voted based on what I hoped might happen.

I've been watching the poll change quite a bit the last 2 or 3 weeks where more are now voting that there will be a change. Early voting, IIRC, was that CAG would make the dance and he'd stay.

A post season poll will trend toward him going, if I'm reading the board's tea leaves.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

This doesn't make sense with what I said, I'll repeat: "I don't know where you are seeing this unless you think Bama will make the NCAA tournament".

The poll allows more than one selection so the total is over 100%. My take is that the "NCAA and no coaching change" and "NCAA tourney run and no change" voters are implying that if there is no NCAA then that's 45% additional votes going for a change.

ETA: After seeing what is obvious to me, I realize now that there are different ways of looking at the poll. Is it a prediction of the season or a poll for what should be done regarding the coaching position based on the outcome of the season or something else? Since the 1st question states coaching change regardless of outcome, I took it as a poll to see what level the team should get to (i.e. regardless, no tourny, NIT, NCAA, NCAA win) before the voter feels there should be a coaching change.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This doesn't make sense with what I said, I'll repeat: "I don't know where you are seeing this unless you think Bama will make the NCAA tournament".

The poll allows more than one selection so the total is over 100%. My take is that the "NCAA and no coaching change" and "NCAA tourney run and no change" voters are implying that if there is no NCAA then that's 45% additional votes going for a change.

ETA: After seeing what is obvious to me, I realize now that there are different ways of looking at the poll. Is it a prediction of the season or a poll for what should be done regarding the coaching position based on the outcome of the season or something else? Since the 1st question states coaching change regardless of outcome, I took it as a poll to see what level the team should get to (i.e. regardless, no tourny, NIT, NCAA, NCAA win) before the voter feels there should be a coaching change.
Correct! Think of each as an "if/then" statement!

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
So with the injuries, will Taylor still go to the bench at the 18:00 minute mark when the refs hand him his first foul? This has been the trend in most games...

I think the remaining players (and fans) may play more relaxed; kind of like nothing to lose at this point.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I look for an amicable parting at the end of the season. Maybe Grant steps down to accept a job at a smaller school. I don't know. As a human being, he has earned people's respect, so I can see Battle wanting to avoid firing him publicly.

But it seems rather obvious that Grant will not be here in 2017. It's just a matter of now or next year.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I like him too, and really want him to succeed here. I would have a little more hope if he seemed to get excited or into the games, but he acts like he doesn't care.
Teams reflect the personality and energy level of their coach. He's a great guy...but not a top level, head coach, imho. This is really sad, because we were all pulling for him for a number of reasons. I reconnected with Bama basketball when C.M. Newton came...and I have never seen it this low.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I tend to believe that Grant may already know what the decision is on his future or non future at the Capstone. Just my opinion about his body language. Not calling a single timeout during the 22-3 run today by Vandy to start the 2nd half just reinforces that opinion. Just head shaking.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I tend to believe that Grant may already know what the decision is on his future or non future at the Capstone. Just my opinion about his body language. Not calling a single timeout during the 22-3 run today by Vandy to start the 2nd half just reinforces that opinion. Just head shaking.
That's just sad. Next game I coach at the collegiate level will be my first, but a jr. high coach who cares would call a time out during that type of run.

Your assumption might be right, but he's shown no "in game feel" for using time outs effectively.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.