Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
While I agree with you, how we play against AU shouldn't be a measuring stick for our program. I would be pleasantly shocked if we look the same way tomorrow night against UGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, it would not surprise me at all. I think there has been a resolution of his job status with Coach Battle so he was fired up. I am pretty sure he was given an ultimatum that he had to make the tourney or else this year. I think Battle told him he has his support for another year regardless which made him more relaxed and therefore let the team play loose.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Honestly, it would not surprise me at all. I think there has been a resolution of his job status with Coach Battle so he was fired up. I am pretty sure he was given an ultimatum that he had to make the tourney or else this year. I think Battle told him he has his support for another year regardless which made him more relaxed and therefore let the team play loose.
That logic doesn't make sense to me. Grant has had job security every year he has been here yet we have had the same results for almost 6 years now..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
While I agree with you, how we play against AU shouldn't be a measuring stick for our program. I would be pleasantly shocked if we look the same way tomorrow night against UGA.

Precisely why I said it doesn't change much in my mind. If he hasn't done what we expect yet with the program, why should we think he's willing to change it now?

I do think we played looser and much faster, which begs the question, why not play this way more?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Precisely why I said it doesn't change much in my mind. If he hasn't done what we expect yet with the program, why should we think he's willing to change it now?

I do think we played looser and much faster, which begs the question, why not play this way more?
Which begs the question: why are we asking this after the second Auburn game after asking the same questions after the first five games of the season when the team scored 80+ points?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It keeps the thread at the top of the feed!

Which begs the question: why are we asking this after the second Auburn game after asking the same questions after the first five games of the season when the team scored 80+ points?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I guess because the questions haven't really been answered. We inherited a coach with known defensive prowess in coaching, but who'd let his guys at VCU run and shoot. Looked perfect, compared with what we'd been putting up with. Our offenses seem to go in fits and starts, but it seems obvious that many of the guys don't feel free to shoot, even when open. I know that some of the players' parents have been unhappy, feeling that their kids' offensive skills have been suppressed. IDK, personally. Then, a couple of games back, we'd managed only 22 pts in the first half. Later, in the second half, CAG was miked at the sideline, and, despite the evidence on the scoreboard, where we'd done an superb job of holding their offense below their norm, all he could talk about was "having each other's back" and playing sound defense. Even to the greenest, non basketball-playing viewer, it was perfectly obvious that the defense wasn't our worry - we needed to score. I think that was the place I finally totally lost all hope. Many fine coordinators just can't grasp both sides of the game (or the need to butt out of the side they don't understand). They just don't make effective HCs. I think that Grant will go on from here to make someone a superb coordinator. He may also make a good HC at a lower level. I just don't know. But, unless we see a total reversal of style, he'll have to be replaced after this coming year or the next, at the latest...

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I've stayed out of the argument since I'm new to bball (never played but have a middle school son who loves it). My son's favorite youth coach tells his players the number one rule of basketball is to score and the number one thing for a player is to be a basketball player. He said repeatedly that whatever play we are running, if you are open, get the basket. He said you don't get points for great passes or running the play. Now, he has fussed and yelled at the kids for taking bad shots, but he continually emphasizes be a basketball player first.

My question, if a youth coach can teach this, why can't a D1 coach?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've stayed out of the argument since I'm new to bball (never played but have a middle school son who loves it). My son's favorite youth coach tells his players the number one rule of basketball is to score and the number one thing for a player is to be a basketball player. He said repeatedly that whatever play we are running, if you are open, get the basket. He said you don't get points for great passes or running the play. Now, he has fussed and yelled at the kids for taking bad shots, but he continually emphasizes be a basketball player first.

My question, if a youth coach can teach this, why can't a D1 coach?
The game is about putting the ball in the basket...more than stopping the other team from doing so.

That's the most frustrating thing to watch in games past...passing up wide open shots early in the shot clock only to force one when it got down to under 5 seconds.

Effective screening, dribbling and passing may set up a good shot, but what's the use if you don't take it when you are open???

How much is your son's coach worth on the open market???

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The game is about putting the ball in the basket...more than stopping the other team from doing so.

That's the most frustrating thing to watch in games past...passing up wide open shots early in the shot clock only to force one when it got down to under 5 seconds.

Effective screening, dribbling and passing may set up a good shot, but what's the use if you don't take it when you are open???

Yep. And I don't think we are as good of a defensive team as we get credit for. Anytime you run the shot clock down on every offensive possession the game will, by default, be lower scoring. We should have been playing faster all year.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

You made me laugh! He had a rough time in his past and is getting his life back together. I'm trying my hardest to get back into full time coaching. He is that good!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Now don't go ingnoring the importance of defense. Ask Coach Sanderson if he put a player on the court that wouldn't play defense. It is easy to get players to play offense and try to score points; it is difficult to get players to put effort into defense and to play it correctly. I'm guessing it is difficult to get players to NOT play offense but Coach Grant has done that...

Good defense can lead to good offense if the coach allows the offense to play aggressive. Good offense does not lead to good defense except scoring a bucket will allow the press to set up. UK is undefeated this season more as a result of their defense than their offense. Playing good defense will not win games though if the offense fails to take shot attempts at opportune times and commits turnovers at a high rate.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Three basic things a team needs to do well to win consistently at this level, play defense, rebound, and score. In points allowed per game we are #6 in the SEC and #98 nationally. In rebounds per game we are #11 in the SEC and #232 nationally. In scoring we are #8 in the SEC and#177 nationally. Those numbers don't bode well for us. As I pointed out in an earlier post, when playing against the "big boys" we're average at best.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Three basic things a team needs to do well to win consistently at this level, play defense, rebound, and score. In points allowed per game we are #6 in the SEC and #98 nationally. In rebounds per game we are #11 in the SEC and #232 nationally. In scoring we are #8 in the SEC and#177 nationally. Those numbers don't bode well for us. As I pointed out in an earlier post, when playing against the "big boys" we're average at best.
Box score says we outrebounded AU by 16(?) That was the difference in the game. Our margin for error is real small. Our defense is fair but we have too many mental lapses.
Our forwards are too small.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Grant was hired and said he would play fast paced and press...almost a 40 minutes of hell. He has recruited athletes and not necessarily the best basketball players to play that kind of style. He has recruited totally opposite to the style of ball his teams play......

He has recruited athletes that should be running up and down the floor and playing a full court press kind of game, but his style of play is like he has a bunch of 3 pt shooters and slows the game down to take long range shots without an inside game.......I am just confused with the entire mess this basketball program has become. It is so danged confusing.

His substitution patterns tend to give me headaches! Today was another sub pattern that blew my mind...he seems to substitute this team into a funk and that is why the team goes into a scoring funk at times. Example: Today early in the 2nd half, Bama is making a good run and the team is playing really good. Hale is getting hot, the team is rebounding, up by 5 and it seems possibly starting to pull away while playing good on both ends. All of the sudden he makes changes in 2 players and takes out one that had just hit 2 shots in a row. With the change the team gets out of synch, all of the sudden cant play defense inside, and cant rebound the ball. And before you know it, Bama is down by 8.....that is a 13 point turn around from just making a change to make change....no one could be tired as it was early, no one was in foul trouble. When Grant finally got Taylor back in the game to fight inside, Bama had to fight so hard to get back in the game it took to much out of them. And when Hale finally got back in the game later, he no longer had a hot shooting hand. That is poor decision making. Too make a change just to make change at that point in the game was a serious mistake(and coach does that a lot), regardless of the poor free throw shooting.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Grant was hired and said he would play fast
With respect to the Verizon FIOS ad campaign, 'Bama's got a half-fast coach who's "run" the program into a ditch or quagmire, take your pick.

But in keeping with the half-fast coaching speed mnemonic, it needs to be "3G" - for Grant's Gotta Go

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.