Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's the basketball portion from this week's Battle Plan. Doesn't give the same "everything is great over here" vibe as previous ones.

Our MEN'S BASKETBALL team continues to battle through the SEC schedule. On Tuesday, the Tide overcame a seven-point first half deficit and several injuries to key players to make a second-half comeback and defeat South Carolina in Coleman Coliseum, 59-51. Our team is now 17-11 this season (7-8 in the SEC) heading intohttp://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/022415aaa.html this Saturday's game against Vanderbilt in Nashville, which will be televised by Fox Sports Net starting at 3 p.m. CT. Injuries continue to hamper this team. Michael Kessens missed Tuesday's game with a bone bruise to his left knee and Ricky Tarrant missed his eighth consecutive game due to a lower right leg injury and will miss the rest of the season. One of our starting forwards, Shannon Hale, was unable to return in the second half against the Gamecocks after suffering a foot injury late in first half, yet the Tide still pulled away in the second half to win. Shannon is also doubtful for the rest of the season. That victory came on the heels of a tough overtime loss to Georgia last Saturday night at home, the seventh time this season that the Tide has played a game that was decided by one possession. Unfortunately, we have lost five of those games, including losses at No. 13 Wichita State and No. 16 Arkansas, falling by a total of eight points in those five defeats. In fact, five of our 11 losses have been decided by a single possession. For the season, the Tide is 2-5 on the year in games decided by a basket. We enter the Vandy game having won back-to-back road SEC games (won 55-51 at Mississippi State on Feb. 10 and 79-68 at Auburn on Feb. 10) for the first time since 2010-11 season. A win at Vanderbilt would mark the first time since the 2004-05 season that we have won three straight SEC road games in the same season. I hope all our fans will turn out to support our seniors and our team at next Tuesday's game against Ole Miss.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
Battle made milions in sales and marketing of collegiate merchandise so I'd like to think he realizes the product on the court in Coleman is the equivalent of a cheaply made sweatshirt from the far east that misspells "Alabama". Just not up to par to pay hard earned dollars for.

Like Jess's piece though, does CBB feel like it's not right to fire Grant and immediately leave. Everything I've heard point to him leaving sooner rather than later. Would be very easy to say to his successor "I inherited this mess, now I'm giving it to you"

I tend to think we see CAG back for ONE more year. Can't believe I'm writing that!!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Battle made milions in sales and marketing of collegiate merchandise so I'd like to think he realizes the product on the court in Coleman is the equivalent of a cheaply made sweatshirt from the far east that misspells "Alabama". Just not up to par to pay hard earned dollars for.

Like Jess's piece though, does CBB feel like it's not right to fire Grant and immediately leave. Everything I've heard point to him leaving sooner rather than later. Would be very easy to say to his successor "I inherited this mess, now I'm giving it to you"

I tend to think we see CAG back for ONE more year. Can't believe I'm writing that!!
Best believe you're writing it. I was one that was tremendously excited when CAG got the job. Now almost six years in, the jury is back. Change is needed. However, I think you are correct that CAG will get another year with CBB hoping it miraculously turns around next year or he dumps the decision in the lap of another and walks away.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Best believe you're writing it. I was one that was tremendously excited when CAG got the job. Now almost six years in, the jury is back. Change is needed. However, I think you are correct that CAG will get another year with CBB hoping it miraculously turns around next year or he dumps the decision in the lap of another and walks away.
Then he is simply a thief..in my book. Is he gonna "dump his paycheck in the lap of another as he walks away" and tell'em "here, i inheireted this but did nothing...so you can have it"? The way i see it, he's getting paid to be the athletic director...earn it. If all the job entailed was making appearances and shaking hands...I can/would do it for a lot less than it costs now.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
With the way Hale's playing time has yo yoed this year, I expect him to transfer during the off season.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Sorry. As I read the basketball section of The Battle Plan, it seems to me that CBB is building a case for keeping CAG another year:

Translation:

"We've been riddled by injuries".

"We're starting to accomplish things we haven't in the past several seasons".

"We've been sooooooooo close at times"

"If we WOULD have beaten Vandy, we WOULD have won three SEC games in a row!. How about that? Isn't that awesome?"

Really? This is where this program is?

As Earle said in an earlier post, this is "Shula Era revisited".

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
With the way Hale's playing time has yo yoed this year, I expect him to transfer during the off season.
I don't know anything about his situation but I've had this same fear at times this season. Hale can be really good as he gets a little stronger.

On another note, Taylor has improved as the season has gone along. He was almost an automatic turnover earlier but now catches and controls the ball better and makes better decisions with the ball. He may be more of a go-to guy on offense next year so he needs to work on his free throw shooting.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Does not matter how or why- Anthony Grant has simply run this program in the ground. I do not feel even he wants to be there anymore. And the short term future is going to be even worse whether he stays or goes. Really just nothing else to say. I just have no confidence that this is going to handled to the real basketball fans liking.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
The title of this thread says it all- when the program falls BELOW UGA in hoops accomplishments, it's time to push the panic button. Bama has always been far and away a better hoops program than the Bulldogs but at this point they are on the rise and we are sinking like an anchor. To me living here in ATL, that's a barometer I use to evaluate the state of ALA basketball. This next hire is CRITICAL for Battle or whomever has the cojones to pull the trigger. Much like every single other sport in the SEC, all your cohorts are constantly trying to improve (see WBB, softball, GYM, Baseball, obviously FB). We can't afford to stand pat and let the Georgia's, Ole Miss' and others pass us by.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
If grant is fired this season......I want us to go after Ben howland.....he is the most successful coach that is available.....only 2 other coaches besides him have taken teams to back to back final fours.....and matter fact, Howland did it 3 times in a row of I recall correctly.....plus I believe he will do the best coaching job as he will coach with a chip on his shoulder given how things ended at UCLA.....he has something to prove

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If something happens, I don't think we should limit ourselves to just College Coaches. We should take a look at unemployed NBA coaches. It could be a draw for recruits.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Jeff Van Gundy! K.C. Jones!! Dick Motta!!!

(Wholeheartedly agree with you, L.D. if there are viable candidates out there.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.