Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, I was a student at UA from 1988-92 when we were a top 25 program and we regularly sold out Coleman especially during the SEC season. I remember playing a game at the BJCC during that time against Southern Miss (I think) and we sold that game out. We also had some fairly decent out-of-conference games that were sellouts. We played UNC, UVA, WF that brought in large crowds. During that time the student population at UA was about 16000 and now it is double that. If we have the right person in place we will pack out Coleman on a regular basis.
Hey! You may be right, and I certainly hope you are! RTR!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think when someone says "I just simply don't care", you have to take anything said after that in context.

And yet, I understand the frustration, just don't agree with some of the comments.

First, more than just Duke-assistant types will think that they can come in and when at Alabama. We have been a sleeping program for a while (Alabama football was in the same condition not long ago, but I am in no way comparing the two in tradition).

Second, with the right coach, and after the winning begins, the building will begin to fill again, as has been mentioned by posters above.
When I post, "I just don't care"...you should know that the program is really in trouble. I remember loving Alabama Basketball more than Alabama football, and that was when we were contending for national titles every year in football.
Translate, "I just don't care" into.."Apathetic", for the first time in my life.
Say what you want. Our basketball program is at an incredibly low level, and there's no head coach, from a big time program, who's going to come to Tuscaloosa.
It's not going to happen.
Believe what you want. I'm just telling it the way it is.
sip

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
When I post, "I just don't care"...you should know that the program is really in trouble. I remember loving Alabama Basketball more than Alabama football, and that was when we were contending for national titles every year in football.
Translate, "I just don't care" into.."Apathetic", for the first time in my life.
Say what you want. Our basketball program is at an incredibly low level, and there's no head coach, from a big time program, who's going to come to Tuscaloosa.
sip

Write a big check and you'd be surprised who is interested. We will attract a good coach since we may reset the bar for coaches pay. We pay a average coach 2 mill a year. What would we pay a proven coach?

I agree with you as someone who used to love basketball more than football that the sport is at a low now. That is why we need someone who will excite the fan base or we'll effectively give the state to Pearl and Auburn.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
sip
I'm with you Sip. I was as hardcore as you could get....especially when Wimp took over and figured out the art of Crowd appeal after CM bolted. Those were insanely fun days. And came at a time when CPB was ending his reign. Basketball was at its peak.

The kids for the most part don't care about Hoops. If you lose us 40-60 group.....you won't get us back.

The ship has sailed....

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
sip
Actually, nothing you said in the above post really conflicts with what I said. You simply described the way you feel. I feel the same way. I am simply stating that we will find someone, and eventually, it will get better. The Wimp days, up until the end, with the plaid court, the scowl masks the students wore. Good times...good times. It'll be here again one day. I just hate the wait.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Hiring a new coach will be about creating a national brand. Alabama is not known to have a brand now except in football. A new basketball coach will need to create a brand or style of play that identifies us national or at least regionally. For example, with Arky it is the 40 minutes of hell style, with UK it is their length and defense, and Florida is their 3 point shooting. If we can do that with a coach that will promote the sport with the students and fans, we'll regain that great atmosphere we had during the plaid palace days.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Hiring a new coach will be about creating a national brand. Alabama is not known to have a brand now except in football. A new basketball coach will need to create a brand or style of play that identifies us national or at least regionally. For example, with Arky it is the 40 minutes of hell style, with UK it is their length and defense, and Florida is their 3 point shooting. If we can do that with a coach that will promote the sport with the students and fans, we'll regain that great atmosphere we had during the plaid palace days.
Didn't Grant do that in the beginning, though? He had the commercials that ran during the 2009 A-Day game. He made a point to talk about the 94 feet of basketball style of play. Folks knew Bama was going to play full court press like Grant did at VCU.

Somewhere in between the 2010-2011 NIT run and the 2011-2012 tournament run, he changed his ways. IIRC, the dynamic of the team changed when Tony Mitchell was suspended.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
sip
I agree with Sip. There is not a big name coach going to come. I think reasonably that Gregg Marshall could be wooed to Bama. Or maybe Steve Prohm from Murray St. But anyone from the ACC is a little far fetched. It would be like Slippery Rock getting an SEC coach in football. Good to dream I guess but not to lose touch with reality.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I agree with Sip. There is not a big name coach going to come. I think reasonably that Gregg Marshall could be wooed to Bama. Or maybe Steve Prohm from Murray St. But anyone from the ACC is a little far fetched. It would be like Slippery Rock getting an SEC coach in football. Good to dream I guess but not to lose touch with reality.
Speaking of losing touch with reality...It's not even close to being Slippery Rock getting an SEC coach. Who said we were going to get a head coach from the ACC? Not that's it's impossible, but I think the example thrown out was a Duke-assistant. Heck, Haase left UNC as an assistant to be the head coach at UAB. But anyhoo, we may not get a superstar coach, but we can get a rising star. Ahem...Anthony Grant was THE rising star coach not too long ago. It has been done before, and it can be done again. That is reality.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Rev.,

Greg Marshall is a very big name at a basketball-first-and-foremost school. If we were to get him, it would send shock waves through the sport. Archie Miller? Smaller school, true, but with a traditionally good basketball program. I'd take him in a minute.

The only ACC coaches we'd have a chance at are at the schools that aren't very good -- Tech, FSU, Clemson. At least two of those coaches are about to get fired. Would you be happy with Jeff Capel, K's top assistant? I would.

Point is: Our CAG experience aside, there are some very good coaches at supposedly mid-major schools, and even some assistants at the traditional powers, who could make an immediate difference at Alabama.

Last edited:

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Man, I would be happy with anybody that can draw up an out-of-bounds play and coach some of our guards to stop making one-hand passes.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Did not mean to flame anyone or their opinions but earlier in thread, there were some big names mentioned. Marshall may be a big name but I was referring to big conferences like ACC, BIG 12 or 10 where basketball is more prominent than the SEC. The Slippery Rock reference is an old school reference when back before everybody was on tv, ABC used to include their score with the big schools and it became popular to keep up with the small school. And I would be happy with Capel but do not think he would come because I do not think he is ready to leave Duke. Wish we could have jumped on Wojo before he went to Marquette. My point is because of the state of our program, taking a back seat to football, it is going to be hard to get a big name coach. That would remind me of Coach Bryant bring at UK with Rupp. I just want someone with fire, discipline, that would bring some excitement back to the program.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did not mean to flame anyone or their opinions but earlier in thread, there were some big names mentioned. Marshall may be a big name but I was referring to big conferences like ACC, BIG 12 or 10 where basketball is more prominent than the SEC. The Slippery Rock reference is an old school reference when back before everybody was on tv, ABC used to include their score with the big schools and it became popular to keep up with the small school. And I would be happy with Capel but do not think he would come because I do not think he is ready to leave Duke. Wish we could have jumped on Wojo before he went to Marquette. My point is because of the state of our program, taking a back seat to football, it is going to be hard to get a big name coach. That would remind me of Coach Bryant bring at UK with Rupp. I just want someone with fire, discipline, that would bring some excitement back to the program.
You say all that as if the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 seasons didn't show fans will support a successful team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip stated earlier that he had been beaten into submission by the state of the program right now. I join him in that sentiment regardless of what happened in past years.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sip stated earlier that he had been beaten into submission by the state of the program right now. I join him in that sentiment regardless of what happened in past years.
Beautiful day outside of Charlotte this morning. Who knows what's going to happen. Everybody perk up.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
In my unprofessional opinion, I'd say that is a favorable thing for those who are hoping for a change after today's game.
Agreed. With the rumors that are starting to swirl around I'm becoming more convinced that a change will be made and perhaps Battle and CAG have both already reached an agreement to part ways. That could explain Battle's comments in recent Battle Plans, he is not going to throw CAG under the bus and will state positive things about him to try and help him land another job. That would be very good for both parties. My guess is that he will wind up on Donovan's coaching staff next year and after a year or two there, he will get another head coaching opportunity.

About Grant, I've thought for the past 3 seasons that he has not been happy at UA for whatever reason. His name was in the mix for several jobs which told me that he had his agent shopping him around and would have left given another opportunity. Off the top of my head I can think of Illinois, Minnesota, and UT (I think?). His body language during most games indicated that he would rather be somewhere else. I sometimes wondered if he is bipolar because some games he would be engaged and actively coaching, others he would sit like a statue most of the game. Regardless, I hope he does well in his future endeavors ASSUMING the rumors are true.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.