Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The only thing I ask for is a Coach that is a "teacher" and a "learner". CMG didn't fit this bill and so far neither has CAG. Hopefully, people change.
Grant isn't chaning. It's been 6 years and by the end of this season, IMO, we will look just like we did his first year here. I've seen little to no player progression and development. The only difference this year that is keeping us afloat is we have a little more talent than in years past..

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I hope Coach Grant does well, because I like him. But I have to say, I am not even planning to go to one game this year (might do it, but no plans or tickets bought). I will watch them on TV though and pull hard for them. I am just tired like many others of same ole, but maybe they will surprise me this year. I voted to keep him if make it to the NCAA.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I am afraid if Bama loses to UCLA at home tomorrow the pressure on coach Grant to win will do him in before the seasons end and this discussion will be moot. Now if Bama wins it will help big time! Maybe I hope but probably not. He could really use a win tomorrow though! ;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I am afraid if Bama loses to UCLA at home tomorrow the pressure on coach Grant to win will do him in before the seasons end and this discussion will be moot. Now if Bama wins it will help big time! Maybe I hope but probably not. He could really use a win tomorrow though! ;)
If one game can tilt a coaches fate then he is toast regardless of the outcome of that game..

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
game is Sunday late afternoon. im hoping for a win. Because sometimes a loss can cause a downward spiral and have a direct impact on how the season turns out. This could be that game. I'm very interested to see who guards their superstar frosh.. he has the goods and will be an NBA player. his first name escapes me. Last name is Looney

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I think there has been pressure for some time now on Grant but that hasn't translated to wins. While a win would be good for him, the rest of the season of course could go either way.It could certainly instill some confidence in the players before conference play and I certainly hope that's the case. I,(like a lot of others on here) am hoping the rest of the season doesn't resemble the past few years but I'm not sure of that at this point.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I sure want to beat UCLA. That is always a good win. For Grant to keep his job, I believe he needs to finish in top 5 in the SEC. (and that unfortunately is a low standard).

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I sure want to beat UCLA. That is always a good win. For Grant to keep his job, I believe he needs to finish in top 5 in the SEC. (and that unfortunately is a low standard).
I have a good feeling we will for whatever the heck that's worth

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Like everyone else, I have my opinions on the "state/future of Bama basketball" and CAG - which I've expressed before and which remain relatively the same. I've grown rather tired of the whole debate, it is rather pointless, but I don't have an issue with you guys kicking it around if you want/need. I'm still waiting for CBB to seek my input on the matter.

I'm looking forward to going to the UCLA game and just enjoying an evening of basketball. We may win, we may not, but it will not detract from a fun family outing should we lose. From what I've seen thus far this season I think we've got a good chance of winning the game. I'm a Bama fan, a Bama basketball fan for sure, so I'ma just go to the games that I can (the schedule is not kind this year with so many evening start times) and cheer for the boys in Crimson. All the other stuff will be decided by those paid to do so... what will be, will be.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
Like everyone else, I have my opinions on the "state/future of Bama basketball" and CAG - which I've expressed before and which remain relatively the same. I've grown rather tired of the whole debate, it is rather pointless, but I don't have an issue with you guys kicking it around if you want/need. I'm still waiting for CBB to seek my input on the matter.

I'm looking forward to going to the UCLA game and just enjoying an evening of basketball. We may win, we may not, but it will not detract from a fun family outing should we lose. From what I've seen thus far this season I think we've got a good chance of winning the game. I'm a Bama fan, a Bama basketball fan for sure, so I'ma just go to the games that I can (the schedule is not kind this year with so many evening start times) and cheer for the boys in Crimson. All the other stuff will be decided by those paid to do so... what will be, will be.
Good Read! Have a good time and I will cheer from the house! RTR!

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
First off I like Grant but not as a Bama head coach.
The fact that the team looks the same every year with no basic fundamentals and players seem to never improve is very telling of his ability as a head coach. I think it is just time for a change. Dif team every year but looks the same.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
First off I like Grant but not as a Bama head coach.
The fact that the team looks the same every year with no basic fundamentals and players seem to never improve is very telling of his ability as a head coach. I think it is just time for a change. Dif team every year but looks the same.
This team has improved.....you think this team isn't better than last years?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This team has improved.....you think this team isn't better than last years?
This years team is better than past years team in talent alone. They don't play better though. They play the same. We still lack the ability to play with basic fundamentals most of the time, or at least at the most important times. All of that can and should be fixed by competent coaching and player development. That is what most people are frustrated by..

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I'm fired up and think we're in great shape to compete year in and out, that's the goal isn't it? I don't get the dudes who act like this program can go out and hire a Saban type for the Bball too. Some great young and seemingly stable dudes on this roster who has come in and helped change the dynamic in a year. We're 9-3 with 2 of those losses to what I call elite 8 teams (WI ST & Iowa St) bout to be heading into SEC play. The math is pretty clear, 11 wins and that is a 20 win season. I could be high but I still think we are gonna beat someone we're not supposed to before the season ends. I'll admit, if we didn't win tonight I wouldn't be so fired up, but we did so Im moving on with the excitement I continue to have. Roll Tide!

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
I'm fired up and think we're in great shape to compete year in and out, that's the goal isn't it? I don't get the dudes who act like this program can go out and hire a Saban type for the Bball too. Some great young and seemingly stable dudes on this roster who has come in and helped change the dynamic in a year. We're 9-3 with 2 of those losses to what I call elite 8 teams (WI ST & Iowa St) bout to be heading into SEC play. The math is pretty clear, 11 wins and that is a 20 win season. I could be high but I still think we are gonna beat someone we're not supposed to before the season ends. I'll admit, if we didn't win tonight I wouldn't be so fired up, but we did so Im moving on with the excitement I continue to have. Roll Tide!
Amen

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Compete year in and year out for what? We've been to the dance once in 5 years and lost the first round that year. Grant is barley over .500 in conference games since he's been here. So if your happy with those things then yea, I guess you don't get me..

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
I think your key comment is "compete year in year out"....can you honestly say we have done that over the past 6 years. What is compete...we win some, lose some, make it fun to watch but at the end of the day we lose and that's OK? Why cant we have higher expectations for the BB team? Sure we beat an 8-4 UCLA team that is inexperienced, young and playing with 4 first time starters. I would not go overboard with UCLA win...it is far from a "statement win". Also, 20 wins in SEC will not get us in Tournament...unless, 2 of the 20 wins are against KY.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think your key comment is "compete year in year out"....can you honestly say we have done that over the past 6 years. What is compete...we win some, lose some, make it fun to watch but at the end of the day we lose and that's OK? Why cant we have higher expectations for the BB team? Sure we beat an 8-4 UCLA team that is inexperienced, young and playing with 4 first time starters. I would not go overboard with UCLA win...it is far from a "statement win". Also, 20 wins in SEC will not get us in Tournament...unless, 2 of the 20 wins are against KY.
That is how teams like UCLA do it now. They get the top recruits much like Kentucky who never stay for their Junior Senior year. They lost 3 underclassmen to the NBA in the last draft. It's the new landscape of basketball. It was obvious to me that the commentators were hoping UCLA would pull out a victory. They kept making excuses for them. When Duke or Kentucky play poorly does anyone make excuses for them although they play with an similar situation in terms of youth. Furthermore UCLA has 5 freshmen on there roster Alabama has 4. UCLA has 4 sophomores on their roster Alabama has 4. UCLA has 3 Juniors on their roster. Alabama has 2. UCLA has one Senior on their roster. Alabama has 3. The announcers were giving a lot of spin last night and reason for UCLA. If you don't know basketball and just listened to what they were saying you would think we have a roster full of seniors and they have a ton of freshmen. Only two of our Seniors play the third was just put on scholarship last year for good academics (in my opinion).

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It is always good to win, but beating what is not a vintage UCLA team at home is nothing more than blip on the radar. We have one more non conference creme puff and then the conference schedule begins. I'll say it again, we have to win some road games we are not supposed to win against some of the higher RPI SEC opponents or we on the outside looking in again. We should not be satisfied that we are in the NOT INVITED TOURNAMENT rather than the big dance. If the administration thinks being a mediocre SEC team as acceptable, I will give up my season tix that I have had for over 20 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.