Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
The contract extension came after taking Bama to the NCAA tournament. IIRC, Georgia was rumored to want him. The team just finished its second straight 20+ win season. The 2013 season showed promise. Releford, Lacey, Jacobs, Cooper, and Randolph returned. Pollard was joining the team.
How depressing...

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
The amount grew, mainly due to media rights, from a NIT season to the worst season in years? There's no reason Bama can't pay the buyout and go get a good coach. My preferred choice is Tony Bennett at Virginia.
Tony Bennett who make me very happy.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Tony Bennett who make me very happy.
After watching Grant's teams, I'm not sure I want to see Bennett. He runs the same style of milking the shot clock and overemphasizing defense. Yes, he is winning a lot of games this year but what if he comes to Bama and can't recruit like he does at Virginia? Then we're stuck with the exact same thing we have now - slow, ugly games that end in close losses most of the time. That doesn't appeal to me.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
After watching Grant's teams, I'm not sure I want to see Bennett. He runs the same style of milking the shot clock and overemphasizing defense. Yes, he is winning a lot of games this year but what if he comes to Bama and can't recruit like he does at Virginia? Then we're stuck with the exact same thing we have now - slow, ugly games that end in close losses most of the time. That doesn't appeal to me.
First, he hasn't recruited well at UVA. I would expect he would be able to recruit better at Alabama, too. Bama would most likely have a better recruiting budget while not having the academic requirements that UVA has.

Second, here's a post I made in this thread from January 28. While UVA plays a similar style of basketball, they have the fundamentals Alabama lacks.

The difference between UVA and Alabama?

UVA gets 5 more rebounds per game.
UVA gets 3 more assists per game.
UVA gets 4 less turnovers per game.
UVA shoots 47% while Alabama shoots 45%.
UVA shoots 75% from the FT line while Alabama shoots 74%.
UVA shoots 40% from 3 point range compared to Alabama's 31%.

Those numbers all close, but they're the little things that make a difference. Those 5 rebounds a game would make a major difference. Four less turnovers? That's 9 more possessions per game, or 9 less possessions for the opponent to score.

Those are the fundamentals some folks have mentioned our players don't have. Gets those, and Bama's current record is 19-1 with the only loss to Kentucky.
The numbers are probably different today, but the point holds true - UVA has the fundamentals Alabama doesn't.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
As far as the recruiting, when I watch Virginia I see a couple of players that have more skill than anyone Bama has. I don't know if that is recruiting or development though. I didn't think about the academic requirements but I'm sure they are a lot more stringent at Virginia.

I guess it just boils down to I'm ready to see a different style of play after the last three or four years.

First, he hasn't recruited well at UVA. I would expect he would be able to recruit better at Alabama, too. Bama would most likely have a better recruiting budget while not having the academic requirements that UVA has.

Second, here's a post I made in this thread from January 28. While UVA plays a similar style of basketball, they have the fundamentals Alabama lacks.

The numbers are probably different today, but the point holds true - UVA has the fundamentals Alabama doesn't.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Heard some interesting comments from my dentist here in town. TIFWIW, He said he had heard they were going to keep Grant another year. They understood attendance would be down and the new SEC network package would more than compensate for the lost revenue. This contradicts other info I heard that CM was looking around for a new job for CAG at other schools. I personally have no idea, but I don't think I can stomach another year of " if we just play better defense" excuses.

Last edited:

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
Not sure anyone says he would leave, but if he did, money might be a reason.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Heard some interesting comments from my dentist here in town. TIFWIW, He said he had heard they were going to keep Grant another year. They understood attendance would be down and the new SEC network package would more than compensate for the lost revenue. This contradicts other info I heard that CM was looking around for a new job for CAG at other schools. I personally have no idea, but I don't think I can stomach another year of " if we just play better defense" excuses.
Does this mean they don't care about basketball? So if we aren't any good that is ok, if nobody shows up to watch the games that is ok too? If this is true that is awful. That is so bad, I don't even know how to say it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Kind of heard a similar thing earlier this week. Grant will have another year.

Guess one could say the basketball program is being taken for "Grant"ed....

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Who is CM?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Could both things be true? Perhaps we will not fire CAG but if he is unhappy here (I think he is) so CM is making some phone calls on his behalf to find him another job. I've always figured that CAG would go back to coaching with Donovan once he leaves UA but perhaps he wants another head coaching job instead.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I have to say that sounds very "far fetched" and made up! Sounds like someone "mad" at Coach Newton because he likes CAG.
Could both things be true? Perhaps we will not fire CAG but if he is unhappy here (I think he is) so CM is making some phone calls on his behalf to find him another job. I've always figured that CAG would go back to coaching with Donovan once he leaves UA but perhaps he wants another head coaching job instead.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.