Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I commented last year I didn't read a single recruit mention attending a basketball game while on a visit. Didn't notice it this year either. I do know the team was at the Kentucky game, though.
Bad basketball doesn't seem to be hurting Saban's recruiting efforts.

Unless some major ethical violations are found (I doubt any exist), I don't see Grant getting fired during the season. Unless some major tunraround happens, I would expect Grant to be gone after the season. If he comes back next year, I'll be convinced Battle is just concerned about football and is content to let Grant finish out his contract to save on his buyout.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Unless some major ethical violations are found (I doubt any exist), I don't see Grant getting fired during the season. Unless some major tunraround happens, I would expect Grant to be gone after the season. If he comes back next year, I'll be convinced Battle is just concerned about football and is content to let Grant finish out his contract to save on his buyout.
In which case our guys will be playing in the emptiest auditorium in the SEC, if not the entire country.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not saying it's hurting the recruiting. For years, recruits attended basketball games when taking official visits to Bama. Don't believe they've been doing that. The easiest explanation - the basketball product isn't great, which means a lack of attendance, which equals giving a bad impression to recruits.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In which case our guys will be playing in the emptiest auditorium in the SEC, if not the entire country.
Agreed. Bringing Grant back would lead to attendance worse than D. Dooley's last year as head football coach at Tennessee.

It would send a message in the coaching ranks that we don't care about basketball, and make it difficult to impossible to land a good successor when the clock strikes midnight (yet again).

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
So, our basketball team made $8MM last year according to this link:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/alabama_athletics_profit_2014.html#incart_river

Therefore, if the BOT and AD Battle want to be serious about basketball, paying CAG's buyout AND spending $3-$4 million per year on a name coach is doable from a financial standpoint. Not being stupid enough to think we can get a Tom Izzo or a Coach K but, $$ is not an issue if a coach like Crean at IU became available or, if Brad Stevens decides the NBA is not for him.... If we backed up a truck to go after Hoiberg at ISU or Jay Wright at Nova with a $3.5 - $4 million deal, they probably couldn't afford to match....

I feel we need to make a change but, we have to get it right this time or we won't be able to sell out Foster much less Coleman...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, our basketball team made $8MM last year according to this link:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/alabama_athletics_profit_2014.html#incart_river

Therefore, if the BOT and AD Battle want to be serious about basketball, paying CAG's buyout AND spending $3-$4 million per year on a name coach is doable from a financial standpoint. Not being stupid enough to think we can get a Tom Izzo or a Coach K but, $$ is not an issue if a coach like Crean at IU became available or, if Brad Stevens decides the NBA is not for him.... If we backed up a truck to go after Hoiberg at ISU or Jay Wright at Nova with a $3.5 - $4 million deal, they probably couldn't afford to match....

I feel we need to make a change but, we have to get it right this time or we won't be able to sell out Foster much less Coleman...
The amount grew, mainly due to media rights, from a NIT season to the worst season in years? There's no reason Bama can't pay the buyout and go get a good coach. My preferred choice is Tony Bennett at Virginia.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Anyone know the specifics on Grant's contract? His annual salary and buyout?
From what I've found, he's owed $1 million for each year left on his contract. After this year, that will be $4 million left.

Or Bama can let him coach the remaining four years and pay him $1.9 million each year for a $7.6 million.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
From what I've found, he's owed $1 million for each year left on his contract. After this year, that will be $4 million left.

Or Bama can let him coach the remaining four years and pay him $1.9 million each year for a $7.6 million.
We're going to spend the money anyway. No need continuing to spend it on a coach who is out of his league. Better to spend it on a coach who will give us full value.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I really don't think "money" should be the issue. Any "forward thinking" AD should understand that spending $$$$ up front on a coach that can fill the bleachers is an investment and that money will be returned upon actually winning games.

We're going to spend the money anyway. No need continuing to spend it on a coach who is out of his league. Better to spend it on a coach who will give us full value.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Based on the recent "profit" numbers...I don't think retaining/firing CAG is about "money"...it's about "caring."

How much does Bill Battle and the PTB "care" about the basketball program. Stay tuned.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
What I would like to know is why did Grant get such a lucrative contract? I don't ever remember us being a really good basketball team under his tenure (I am old and forgetful). Was someone actually coming after him causing us to lock him down?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What I would like to know is why did Grant get such a lucrative contract? I don't ever remember us being a really good basketball team under his tenure (I am old and forgetful). Was someone actually coming after him causing us to lock him down?
He was a hot commodity as the coach at VCU. I think he knocked off Duke in the first round of the NCAA tournament one year. Not saying that justifies his contract but that's what I recall..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The contract extension came after taking Bama to the NCAA tournament. IIRC, Georgia was rumored to want him. The team just finished its second straight 20+ win season. The 2013 season showed promise. Releford, Lacey, Jacobs, Cooper, and Randolph returned. Pollard was joining the team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.