Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
The goal in football is the NC, all of the rest are sub-goals. If we finish 8-4 and win the SEC west I guarantee you no one would consider that to be a successful season based on Alabama standards. Finishing high in the SEC in basketball is never the goal, making the NCAA tourney is the minimum acceptable goal. IMHO, we should make the tourney 4 out of every 5 years and be competitive in the tourney (realistic shot at the sweet 16 or elite 8) at least 3 of those 4 years. If a coach can do that at UA then I think he should be considered a success. The NIT is a building block only, it is not the goal.
by that statement that means out of our 100 years of competition only 15 have been a success.... there are too many variables to guarantee even a shot a championship... same thing applies for the tournament.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
The effort is certainly there and the team looks better but 6-3 is not nothing to be over exited about. We need to start winning some of the games against good opponents and right now we are still losing them The other night being a good example we had way to many mistakes at the end . I think the team needs to make the ncaa for sure and possibly win a game, or a change may need to be made . Six years is plenty of time to have a program getting in the dance frequently.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't thinkthere is need to make changes within the staff... Coach already did and it is working out well.. I think this year, coach pretty much said that he really like this group and so do I... I can see huge improvement on the floor compared to the last two years. We have lot of new players on the team and We have to be patient and give them time. WE've had players that was in Grant's doghouse the last few years, and this year, everyone worked ahrd.. and they will get that chemistry thing figured out. I"m not sure if a coaching change is the answer right now. I say we give him one more year and see what he can do with players already having one year of experience under his belt. We might play well rest of the year, but not get in NCAA touarment... is that enough to demand changes? NO. I think hiring a coach will set the program, players back and no...

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Contrary to everyone saying that we've missed our chances for "good" wins because the sec is down, we still have a lot of chances for good wins...good wins are determined by what that team's rpi rank is and believe it or not the sec currently has 5 teams in the top 50 in rpi....those wins would be considered good in terms of ncaa resume

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Auburn beat a team we lost by 13 to and it wasn't that close. It will absolutely kill our RPI. 5 teams from the SEC with a top 50 RPI means zippo if you do not beat them. UK is one of those teams (who we play twice)and we have very little chance of beating them. We have to kill in conference play to have a chance and have to beat a few decent RPI teams on the road. A victory against UCLA doesn't help us at all with their humiliating loss to UK. I predicted us to get to the NCAA tourney a few weeks ago and we are appreciably better, but I do not see us making it now without a minor miracle.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
Yeah- this is exactly what we signed up for by keeping Grant. I hope that we can do something this season and make that decision look like a good one. Bruce Pearl was the one in my opinion. Would have absolutely loved seeing us hire him a few months back. They may or may not end up being very good this year but so far they have more reason for optimism than we do. And like someone posted- UCLA got embarrassed today so that game won't help us but could end up definitely hurting us

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah- this is exactly what we signed up for by keeping Grant. I hope that we can do something this season and make that decision look like a good one. Bruce Pearl was the one in my opinion. Would have absolutely loved seeing us hire him a few months back. They may or may not end up being very good this year but so far they have more reason for optimism than we do. And like someone posted- UCLA got embarrassed today so that game won't help us but could end up definitely hurting us
Even if we fired Grant Pearl would still be the barn's coach. He would have never gotten a job here.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Auburn played them at home and won by one in double OT. They also played way over their head. Does not mean much really.
Aurebren beat Xavier today. We shall see what to make of that as conference play is about to begin. i'm not optimistic at all.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Auburn played them at home and won by one in double OT. They also played way over their head. Does not mean much really.
A win by one in OT is a win. I can't find anything wrong with playing over your head. Sometimes that's what it takes. I am no Pearl fan, but it's a great win for them.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
After the game last night vs. Appy St., I have made my decision on this poll. We barely eeked out a 1 pt win, but frankly I'm puzzled as to how we managed that. Further, it appears to me as if at the end of the season we'll probably once again be on the outside looking in - at the NIT.
Enough of this. I think it's time we try to find a better coach, regardless of how this season ends.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Why does CAG send his assistants to stand in for him on Hey Coach appearances? This has always bothered me. Even CNS sees the value of these appearances before the fans as a way to connect and get buy-in.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I think that at this point CAG just needs to go. The problem is that the admin (THAT'S YOU Mr. Battle) just doesn't care about anything but football. That's sad because if MR BATTLE would take a little interest in bball and could put a winning program on the court (meaning getting to the SECCG more years than not and not being on the bubble of the NIT but being INVITED to the big table) the fans would fill the coliseum and we could have a respected program. BUT, MR. BATTLE & CO just don't care enough. It's just like baseball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.