Question: Does the playoff schedule limit Coach Saban's game planning expertise?

BamaRoy68

Jul 23, 2006
Ever since the playoff system was announced, I've wondered if preparing for not just one game but a possible second game less than 2 weeks later would limit the coaching staffs ability to game plan for each team. In years past, I've always said, if a Championship is one the line, nobody beats BAMA when Saban and the staff have a month to plan. It "almost" seemed unfair the way our teams dominated in the BCS games. Coach Saban seems to be the master of finding and exploiting any weakness or tendencies of the opposing team. So will the quick turnaround for the championship game (assuming we win in New Orleans) level the playing field at all? Or Is the staff already working on gameplans for all 3 possible opponents? I've read here on the forum that the team doesn't usually start working on a specific gameplan until game week, so it sounds like the impetus is on the coaching staff. Just curious what others think! Thanks

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
No way, if anything it helps get the team ready even more. You never know how a team will respond after so much time off, a warmup game before the national title is perfect. Your theory falls apart when you remember last years loss to the Sooners.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
No way, if anything it helps get the team ready even more. You never know how a team will respond after so much time off, a warmup game before the national title is perfect. Your theory falls apart when you remember last years loss to the Sooners.
Not really....the Sugar Bowl last year had no championship as its' reward....

I do agree though that the playoff schedule may benefit us. You still have almost 2 weeks between the semi-final and the championship game. Plenty of time for Saban to scheme & teach it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Somebody is already game planning for possible games vs FSU and Oregon.....but I would love it if some reporter would ask Coach if we was already planning for the NCG

;)

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Coach Saban has already said that someone on his staff is looking at both Oregon and Florida State, so they are indeed working on a plan for either team. As far as the quick turnaround goes I don't think it's any different than preparing for the Iron Bowl and then having to prepare for the SEC Championship game just a week later.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think he might have a bit more of an edge than the regular season, in terms of preparations because this isn't a focus on one team a week scenario, they have longer than that and more down time. However, I do think it does negate coachingsome and even talent, and randomizes things. Sure, Alabama can prepare somewhat for the potential opponent, but I don't see how it is anything like having the full preparation time Saban had in his other 4 trips to the BCSCG (which his teams by won a combined 121-49). I think that situation uniquely favored coaches extremely well prepared coaches like Nick Saban.

The other example that keeps coming to mind is GMac playing in the BCSCG with broken ribs. Alabama was able to really plan around that and keep it secret, but it's obviously a much bigger issue if he had two games to play with the injury instead of one. So, now it's not just win and you get a championship, it's win, it's stay healthy, and then it's win the next one, and mind you none of these are easy. It introduces a lot more variables and obviously, this is a much, much easier scenario if it's just the would be BCS matchup of FSU and Alabama.

Last edited:

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
CNS probably has a computer program designed to give him the nuts and bolts of what he wants to see. I'm sure he has a specific list of things he wants from game film of every team he plays, 1st down tendencies, 3rd & long/short, what the opposing O does against a specific D etc. Plug in an opponent and presto.
Or his GAs never see the light of day!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If we know how CNS is, he probably already scouted FSU, Oregon, potential teams back in October little by little. he's at his best during December and Janurary, because The players know what to do, and He can coach, and prepare little differently. Last year, We should've won that game, and it showed. This year, he'll tell them to play harder next two weeks. He's definitely going to game plan for Oregon/FSU ahead in advance, just in case if we win. I think with Oregon, we can game plan a litle bit better than we can with FSU, because their offense is clicking right now.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Exactly. Remember last year? Body languages, lack of effort to finish... We beat ourself, not Oklahoma... and by the way, i saw the replay this morning between Bama and OU and i saw lot of things that bothered me and I'm glad we fixed it this year.
I wouldn't think so. It all depends on the players' attitudes.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I look at this just like the end of the regular season. We get ready for the barn and then have to turn around and get ready for Florida, Georgia, or Mizz in the SEC title game.(Our past SEC game opponents) The only difference is more time for osu than the barn game.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
He's a "one game at a time" coach and I don't see him looking past tOSU or any other team.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
He's a "one game at a time" coach and I don't see him looking past tOSU or any other team.
Not true. He's said in his interviews that they prepped for multiple teams at once. I think he said they prepped for both Mizzou and UGA for the SECCG before they knew who would play.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Not true. He's said in his interviews that they prepped for multiple teams at once. I think he said they prepped for both Mizzou and UGA for the SECCG before they knew who would play.
I reckon I'm mistaken then! That's interesting and a different approach.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I would assume Saban is using part of the first four 'fundamental mini camp' practices to work on things specific to FSU and Oregon in addition to the stated "we are working on fundamentals".... That way come January 3rd when they ramp up for the Championship game, they have 8 practices to install and perfect the destruction they will unleash January 12.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I believe that Saban is the best coach in college football, and that the longer he has to prepare, the greater his advantage will show.

If you believe that as I do, you also have to believe it's a mathematical certainty that a shorter time to prepare lessens the advantage.

So to answer the question, I don't think the playoff schedule limits Saban's expertise. I think it lessens his advantage over other coaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.