Michigan taking another run at Harbaugh - $48M!

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Has there ever been a coach that coached a team in the Super Bowl and then coached college, let alone succeed? None comes to mind. He's a rare breed to have had success at both levels.
Bill Walsh returned to Stanford for the 1992-1994 seasons.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That's a ridiculous amount of money for a guy who has was 29-21 at Stanford, never winning the Pac10...
Well just imagine how it looked when San Francisco hired him. Anyways the 49ers are my favorite team and I follow them pretty close. I can say the odds of him leaving right now are pretty slim. He and the GM have butted heads a few times but I'd imagine he will fire his OC Greg Roman (was at Stanford with him) and make some other changes. The 49ers may be 7-7 but their season has been absolutely PLAGUED with injures like Alabama was in 2004 especially on defense. They have lost 3 (yes 3) starting MLB's to injures. This Includes All Pro's Patrick Willis in the middle of the season and Navarro Bowman (didn't play in 2014 because of knee injury in the NFCCG against Seattle), rookie Chris Borland (DROY candidate) to an ankle injury, OLB Aldon Smith was suspended for the first 9 games and OLB Ahmad Brooks has missed a chunk as well. Then DT Glen Dorsey at the beginning of the season to a torn bicep. RT Anthony Davis missed the first half with a knee injury. They have had 2 key injuries in the defensive backfield. Both starting RB's Gore and Hyde. Vernon Davis missed a good bit this year. DE Justin Smith with a back injury. I could go on and on. Don't let the record fool you they are good just had a lot bad luck. Seriously 2014 has just been a nightmare.

Last edited:

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
His Stanford record is pretty good. He took a 1-11 team in four years went 11-1. He won more games each year he was there.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Hypothetically, what if CNS was retiring this year and you found out that Alabama was willing to pay Jim Harbaugh $48M to be our HC. How would you feel about that?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Except for the money I don't see why any NFL head coach would return to college.

The long hours involved with recruiting alone is enough reason not to.

Much easier job at NFL level, IMHO.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The Falcons would be fools to keep him again. Has he ever fielded a good defense? For all the heat Matt Ryan takes, he and Roddy White (and recently Julio) are the only reason they make the playoffs every year. They know exactly what they're getting with Smith.
Matt Ryan is the #1 reason they can't afford a decent defense.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Well just imagine how it looked when San Francisco hired him. Anyways the 49ers are my favorite team and I follow them pretty close. I can say the odds of him leaving right now are pretty slim. He and the GM have butted heads a few times but I'd imagine he will fire his OC Greg Roman (was at Stanford with him) and make some other changes. The 49ers may be 7-7 but their season has been absolutely PLAGUED with injures like Alabama was in 2004 especially on defense. They have lost 3 (yes 3) starting MLB's to injures. This Includes All Pro's Patrick Willis in the middle of the season and Navarro Bowman (didn't play in 2014 because of knee injury in the NFCCG against Seattle), rookie Chris Borland (DROY candidate) to an ankle injury, OLB Aldon Smith was suspended for the first 9 games and OLB Ahmad Brooks has missed a chunk as well. Then DT Glen Dorsey at the beginning of the season to a torn bicep. RT Anthony Davis missed the first half with a knee injury. They have had 2 key injuries in the defensive backfield. Both starting RB's Gore and Hyde. Vernon Davis missed a good bit this year. DE Justin Smith with a back injury. I could go on and on. Don't let the record fool you they are good just had a lot bad luck. Seriously 2014 has just been a nightmare.
I hate to burst your bubble (IF you are a Harbaugh fan), but he is gone. His welcome is more than worn out in SF, and whether he is fired, traded, or leaves on his own, he is gone.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Looks like Michigan has took notes from Bama when we swung for the one "Big Name" HC that could & would instantly make Michigan relevant once again in college football without even coaching his 1st game..Coach Harbaugh would be the buzz during the NCAA play-off's, instead of the actual play-off games, that's the kinda "Home-Run Hire" Michigan needs to make them one of the Big Dogs in college football once again..

If they don't hire Harbaugh..Michigan has won my respect for not taking no for an answer & coming back with a counteroffer that will at least make Harbaugh rethink things about the Michigan Job & I hope they actually lands him..Cause like Alabama..College Football is better when Michigan is among the elite once again..And the Big 10 needs Michigan to be good again to at least battle Urban Meyer every season & not make it a "Cake Walk" to the Big 10 Championship every year for The Buckeye's under Urban as their HC..

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Matt Ryan is the #1 reason they can't afford a decent defense.
Funny cause I see a lot of quarterbacks with Ryan-sized deals and some of those guys have good defenses on their team. It's also funny cause he never played with a good defense before his new deal either.

Their front office is the #1 reason they never field a good defense.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Word on sportscenter is that he is gone from SF, but I don't understand why. Like Bamajama says they have been decimated by injuries. They are losing the best coach they probably could have.
I hate to burst your bubble (IF you are a Harbaugh fan), but he is gone. His welcome is more than worn out in SF, and whether he is fired, traded, or leaves on his own, he is gone.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Word on sportscenter is that he is gone from SF, but I don't understand why. Like Bamajama says they have been decimated by injuries. They are losing the best coach they probably could have.
Its more than that. you really would have to research it more in depth to understand it. I know last year was the start of it all, and the grumbling really started when alex smith started showing his capababilties, and made fans question his decisions to keep colin kapernick and show alex to the door. then you have the fights in the inner office between him and the owners. I know alot of people say Gundy is a hot head, but harbaugh has done it way longer than gundy all the way back to when he was a qb at Indy. I would be super suprised if he stays after season's end, but that doesnt mean I think he lands at Michigan tho. I think there is a realistic chance that he does go to the blue, but even if he doesnt this offer really shows Michigan is ready to hire a bonefide coach.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
All I can say is it is cold in Michigan and I would stay away no matter the deal. Of course $8 million a year can buy me a very warm coat.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
If Harbaugh is worth $8M a year, then Nick Saban must be worth $16M minimum. Seriously this has the makings of a sports agent on steroids putting this stuff out there. I don't follow the NFL that closely, but from the start of the season the media was portraying him as a hot headed nut case and his players hated him. If NFL players think he is a jerk, what would college players think?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Hats off to Michigan for this, really. I mean, they remain dead in the water with anyone they hire less than Harbaugh. Word on the street is that his wife wants to stay in Cali with the fair weather but $8 Mil conveys a message. I hope he goes back to his alma mater and gives it a shot. I think college football would be the better for it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Harbaugh is worth $8M a year, then Nick Saban must be worth $16M minimum. Seriously this has the makings of a sports agent on steroids putting this stuff out there. I don't follow the NFL that closely, but from the start of the season the media was portraying him as a hot headed nut case and his players hated him. If NFL players think he is a jerk, what would college players think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQsTM0Xq9oQ&feature=player_detailpage
here you decide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.