Michigan taking another run at Harbaugh - $48M!

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Harbaugh to Michigan and the stories surrounding it and all the stuff people are saying is very similar to the Saban to Alabama story 8 years ago. Everyone said the same things about Saban: he won't leave the NFL, Bama can't pay him enough money, 5 million is too much money, he won't win big at Bama, nobody likes him, why would he come to Bama ...... I like that Michigan is going for him like Mal Moore did with Saban.

Also when you are the head coach in college, you are not only the head coach but the team owner, team president, general manager, player personnel director, and you can make all the football decisions. I would think Harbaugh would like that just fine.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Doesn't Saban have a clause in his contract to be the highest paid coach? Heck whether he does or not, if Harbaugh does get the 6 yr $49 deal being reported by ESPN, Battle amd the BOT should immediately approve a pay raise for Saban to $8.5MM per year along with money to bump Kirby and Lane to the highest paid DC & OC in the nation. No reason Kirby and Lane shouldn't me $2MM men! Might even keep Lane around another 2 or 3 years... He might decide $2MM a year to run the offense with the ridiculous talent we have coming in at QB & skill positions is a lot better than a HC gig....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There are things going on in SanFran that is beyond what is happening on the field. The front office and Harbaugh have soured on each other.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is the right play for Michigan, and the amount offered has nothing to do with what Saban is making. They know that he will get an offer for a similar amount to coach the Jets or the Raiders, so they have to offer top NFL $$$ to get him to step back into college coaching. Whether it works or not, it is the right play, just as the play for Saban was the right move for Alabama.

Sometimes you have to realize that your program needs a huge name to get you back on track, and Harbaugh is the only viable name of that magnitude still out there.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There are things going on in SanFran that is beyond what is happening on the field. The front office and Harbaugh have soured on each other.
The funny thing is that he is solely responsible for their resurgence. The 49ers were nothing when he became their coach. The thing is that he could go to Oakland and do it again but 3 years later the same thing would happen. We may very well see him go back to UM for the big bucks and keep a house in LA for his family to enjoy 9 months out of the year.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hypothetically, what if CNS was retiring this year and you found out that Alabama was willing to pay Jim Harbaugh $48M to be our HC. How would you feel about that?
Wouldn't care for it. Mostly because Harbaugh, from everything I have read, is a petulant jerk. Even if he left the NFL and came to Alabama, I don't think he would see Bama as a destination. The first NFL team that came calling would lure him away.

I think he's more trouble than he's worth.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Looks like Michigan has took notes from Bama when we swung for the one "Big Name" HC that could & would instantly make Michigan relevant once again in college football without even coaching his 1st game..Coach Harbaugh would be the buzz during the NCAA play-off's, instead of the actual play-off games, that's the kinda "Home-Run Hire" Michigan needs to make them one of the Big Dogs in college football once again..

If they don't hire Harbaugh..Michigan has won my respect for not taking no for an answer & coming back with a counteroffer that will at least make Harbaugh rethink things about the Michigan Job & I hope they actually lands him..Cause like Alabama..College Football is better when Michigan is among the elite once again..And the Big 10 needs Michigan to be good again to at least battle Urban Meyer every season & not make it a "Cake Walk" to the Big 10 Championship every year for The Buckeye's under Urban as their HC..
If he were to take that job at Michigan, would Bama bump Coach Saban's salary? What has Coach Harbaugh done? Has he won a Super Bowl? Has he won an NC? He does not deserve more than Coach Saban! If he does take the job, are they going to pay assistants big bucks also?

If he were to take that job making those big bucks, $49 mil, and he ended up with a record like Hoke, would that be a good investment?

TLIT

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2011
Central VA
The point is he's not had success at both levels. He's been pretty successful in the NFL, but never won anything as an FBS coach.
It's overly simplistic to argue that he didn't win anything as an FBS coach. He took San Diego from 7-4 in his first season to back-to-back 11-1 seasons. Then he took Stanford (Stanford!) from 4-8 his first year to 12-1 three years later. No, he didn't win a championship, but that track record is a whole lot better than Coach Saban's was when LSU hired him away from Michigan State. (And, no, I'm not saying Harbaugh = Saban, but I am saying that you have to evaluate a coach on more than his win/loss record).

So, if I am a Michigan fan (and--full disclosure--I am a Michigan grad, and they're my second favorite team, though they're way, way behind #1 in my heart!), I'm thrilled with this. As long as people can be patient with him for the first couple of years, this could be just what Michigan needs to get back where they belong. Certainly more so that any of the other options right now.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
There's no way any of us or for Michigan to know that, but, they're at that point of a low in their football program right now..That it would definitely would be worth of the roll of the dice in hiring Harbaugh & paying him that kinda salary..I think so anyways..
If he were to take that job at Michigan, would Bama bump Coach Saban's salary? What has Coach Harbaugh done? Has he won a Super Bowl? Has he won an NC? He does not deserve more than Coach Saban! If he does take the job, are they going to pay assistants big bucks also?

If he were to take that job making those big bucks, $49 mil, and he ended up with a record like Hoke, would that be a good investment?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's overly simplistic to argue that he didn't win anything as an FBS coach.
Look, I get it - the point is if this offer is remotely true, Michigan is beyond desperate. He hasn't accomplished anything to prove he's worth being the highest paid NCAA coach (and tied with Carroll and Payton for being the highest paid coach in all of football).

I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but good grief, $8m for someone who literally hasn't won anything? If true, simply ridiculous.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Look, I get it - the point is if this offer is remotely true, Michigan is beyond desperate. He hasn't accomplished anything to prove he's worth being the highest paid NCAA coach (and tied with Carroll and Payton for being the highest paid coach in all of football).

I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but good grief, $8m for someone who literally hasn't won anything? If true, simply ridiculous.
I think it's more of a statement to any other potential candidates that they are willing to deal if jimmy says no. My question is why are we so concerned about the price that a big 10 team is willing to pay for a coach.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

You sound like people complaining about Saban circa 2007. Lots of folks saying it was stupid to hire him for that amount.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Harbaugh to Michigan and the stories surrounding it and all the stuff people are saying is very similar to the Saban to Alabama story 8 years ago. Everyone said the same things about Saban: he won't leave the NFL, Bama can't pay him enough money, 5 million is too much money, he won't win big at Bama, nobody likes him, why would he come to Bama ...... I like that Michigan is going for him like Mal Moore did with Saban.

Also when you are the head coach in college, you are not only the head coach but the team owner, team president, general manager, player personnel director, and you can make all the football decisions. I would think Harbaugh would like that just fine.
The difference is Saban hadn't been to three straight AFC championship games including a Super Bowl with the Dolphins. CJH has been to 3 straight NFCCG's and a Super Bowl. Yes I'm sure Michigan can pay him the money but rather or not he wants to leave...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
After Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Miles, and Spurrier.....are there any other active coaches who have won a championship? Michigan's ability to make a huge splash are few.....obscene amount or not, their choices are few....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.