Michigan taking another run at Harbaugh - $48M!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Still though, that's Michigan, and they can do what they want.
Bingo. I really couldn't care less who they hire and how much they pay him - it's just a bit stunning to me to potentially make the guy the highest paid coach in the land when he doesn't have the championship pedigree to go along with the pay scale.

I've made my point, so I'll bow out.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
After Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Miles, and Spurrier.....are there any other active coaches who have won a championship? Michigan's ability to make a huge splash are few.....obscene amount or not, their choices are few....
Yes, but many of those guys came from lower tier schools or were coordinators and were given a chance to coach in a big program. I agree that there is not hot hire available so go all in, and there really aren't many up and comers that are real hot but they are cheaper and risky. It's a tough position if you want to flip a program quickly.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
After Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Miles, and Spurrier.....are there any other active coaches who have won a championship? Michigan's ability to make a huge splash are few.....obscene amount or not, their choices are few....
Stoops is the only other active coach I can think of with a NC.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Ummmmm .......Larry Coker? But Michigan would never be able to pry him away from UTSA. Got the Roadrunners on a 30 year plan to greatness.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Before I would pay out 48 mil I would consider the HC of Mississippi St, Arkansas, TCU, Baylor and Cincinnati. Yes, I would consider Tubby. Oh, and the Rt. Rev. Houston Nutt.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The point is he's not had success at both levels. He's been pretty successful in the NFL, but never won anything as an FBS coach.
He got to the Super Bowl (and lost), but only got as high as #4 in the FBS (2010); their only loss was to the Oregon team that lost to the barn. He did pretty well the four years he was there; and it is Stanford.
IMO he's pretty much accomplished at the same level in the pros and in college. Not sure he's worth the money they are throwing at him, but if he only has to beat UM and MD he might do even better than he did at Stanford; he would at least equal that success, IMO.

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Before I would pay out 48 mil I would consider the HC of Mississippi St, Arkansas, TCU, Baylor and Cincinnati. Yes, I would consider Tubby. Oh, and the Rt. Rev. Houston Nutt.
Michigan has the resources though and doesn't have to run the program on the cheap looking for a value hire. A homerun hire more than pays for itself.

Last edited:

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Michigan has the resources though and doesn't have to run the program on the cheap looking for a value hire. A homerun hire more than pays for itself.
Correct, & personally, I hope he takes it. CFB is soooo much better when the "big" names / programs are in doing well & playing real football.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think He'll take the job. He hates recuiting, and He doesn't like the idea of kissing up to recuits just to get them to come here. Then he has to deal with boosters, president, AD, fans... Naw.... He'll go to Raider, or interview for Jets Job.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Correct, & personally, I hope he takes it. CFB is soooo much better when the "big" names / programs are in doing well & playing real football.
That's true, but one of the only schools ahead of Alabama on the all-time win list is Michigan. If they have another decade of mediocrity, and Bama has a decade anything like the last 7 years, Bama could pick up some ground on them.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
This is tough. On one hand, it's ridiculous to pay a guy more than Nick Saban or Urban Meyer who has never won a conference championship. On the other hand, if they don't get him, they are looking at Dan Mullen or a coach with a comparable resume. So, they have to do what they can to get him because he's the only A-list coach who would even consider the Michigan job right now.

If I'm making the decision for Michigan, I'd still focus first on getting a good AD - one who is highly organized, disciplined, and knows college athletics. Then use him to go after Harbaugh. Harbaugh doesn't even know who his boss would be right now.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
He will have a much better chance of winning a National Championship from Michigan than he ever did at his previous two coaching stops in college. If he can turn Stanford into a winner with the challenges they have on recruiting just imagine what he can do at a traditional power house football school with the resources they will put at his command. Personally I want Michigan to be good again. He has name recognition and the fact that he coached in a Super Bowl will sit well with a lot of recruits. I think he would have them competing for a play off birth in 3 years. The entire Big 10 should chip in for this higher. Much as a rising Tide floats all boats in the SEC a good to great Michigan helps the Big 10.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
That's true, but one of the only schools ahead of Alabama on the all-time win list is Michigan. If they have another decade of mediocrity, and Bama has a decade anything like the last 7 years, Bama could pick up some ground on them.
Perhaps, if you happen to care about those things..... IMO, it would take at least 3 decades to overcome the 65 all-time games-won lead that UM has on Alabama. Think about it, say Alabama goes (on average) 10-2 for the next 33 yrs, & Michigan goes (on average) 8-4.....that only gets Alabama even with Michigan in all-time wins. I just don't see that happening.

Of course, I did not include the 21 vacated wins in these numbers because I believe that the fanbase is the only group that really counts those "wins". I know the record books don't count them. If you choose to include them, that's fine. It would close the "win gap" to 44 games back. Even then it would take 22 seasons to catch them based on the "math" above.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.