Michigan taking another run at Harbaugh - $48M!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He will have a much better chance of winning a National Championship from Michigan than he ever did at his previous two coaching stops in college. If he can turn Stanford into a winner with the challenges they have on recruiting just imagine what he can do at a traditional power house football school with the resources they will put at his command. Personally I want Michigan to be good again. He has name recognition and the fact that he coached in a Super Bowl will sit well with a lot of recruits. I think he would have them competing for a play off birth in 3 years. The entire Big 10 should chip in for this higher. Much as a rising Tide floats all boats in the SEC a good to great Michigan helps the Big 10.
This is pretty much how I see it. The SEC's bellcow has always been Bama. When Bama is really good the SEC is even better. The Big's bellcows are OSU and Michigan. When Michigan is really good it'll make their conference much better and much more respected nationally.

I love when the traditional powers are in play. While ND was a pretender in 2012, their fanbase at the Orange Bowl was nothing but pure class and a matchup like that is what college football is all about.

Bama vs. OSU is the same....much more intriguing than Bama vs. TCU IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I'm making the decision for Michigan, I'd still focus first on getting a good AD - one who is highly organized, disciplined, and knows college athletics. Then use him to go after Harbaugh. Harbaugh doesn't even know who his boss would be right now.
If they land harbaugh then harbaugh's boss will be the same one that saban has as a boss as long as he is winning, and that is himself. Yes technically saban's boss is bill battle, but I still don't see bb telling CNS what to do, and if anything I see it the opposite way around. If you are going to give a coach that kinda of money then you are making them the quasi defacto leader of all athletics. Now if harbaugh says no then it's going to be interesting where their offer numbers go

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
If they land harbaugh then harbaugh's boss will be the same one that saban has as a boss as long as he is winning, and that is himself. Yes technically saban's boss is bill battle, but I still don't see bb telling CNS what to do, and if anything I see it the opposite way around. If you are going to give a coach that kinda of money then you are making them the quasi defacto leader of all athletics. Now if harbaugh says no then it's going to be interesting where their offer numbers go
With a President who is under fire for sounding a little too much like saying athletics don't matter, it's not so much about "who is going to tell him what to do" than it is to know the direction that Michigan is taking with Athletics. Mal Moore was a big reason Saban ended up coming to Alabama. If Moore had just gotten fired and there was no AD at that time, landing Saban would have been a lot harder.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With a President who is under fire for sounding a little too much like saying athletics don't matter, it's not so much about "who is going to tell him what to do" than it is to know the direction that Michigan is taking with Athletics. Mal Moore was a big reason Saban ended up coming to Alabama. If Moore had just gotten fired and there was no AD at that time, landing Saban would have been a lot harder.
It will take care of itself if they land him. They will bow down to the great and mighty harbaugh and go in the direction he wants. I think you're putting to much infuses on having a strong ad for a home run hire coach. If they had to sell a candidate to the fans and supporters then yes you're absolutely right, but for them to land everyone's 1st pick for the job they really don't.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well the irony of this is that none of you were complaining when Mac brown was the highest paid coach in cfb.
I would not go that far. Lots of folks in Texas thought he was a joke. Of course, none of those folks wore burnt orange. He didn't earn the nickname "Coach February" based solely on his good ol' boy charm.

Bingo. I really couldn't care less who they hire and how much they pay him - it's just a bit stunning to me to potentially make the guy the highest paid coach in the land when he doesn't have the championship pedigree to go along with the pay scale.

I've made my point, so I'll bow out.
Totally agree with you! I just couldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That's a ridiculous amount of money for a guy who has was 29-21 at Stanford, never winning the Pac10...
Plus, I wonder, with his personality, how well he'd do in convincing Mama's to let their sons play for him.
Michigan has officially reached desperation stage. They need a great coach and nobody wants the job.
I remember when we were in that exact same boat. Tough place to be.
sip

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Before I would pay out 48 mil I would consider the HC of Mississippi St, Arkansas, TCU, Baylor and Cincinnati. Yes, I would consider Tubby. Oh, and the Rt. Rev. Houston Nutt.
Was that supposed to be in blue?

Any Meechegan AD that does that will not have his job for very long. Only Bielema plays the kind of game they will accept. They tried the Rich Rod scheme, and we all saw how that worked out.

Briles is only successful because he is tight with a lot of Texas HS football coaches. Patterson is not leaving TCU. Tubby has it easy, at Cincy. No one is nuts enough to hire Nutt for a job like that.

Mullens........not sure how "He coached under Urban Meyers" will be seen as a positive.

Outside of the Mad Hatter, who else in FBS ranks will satisfy them? If Harbaugh turns them down, their remaining options are not going to make the big splash they need.

We've been there, and it isn't a fun place to be in.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Plus, I wonder, with his personality, how well he'd do in convincing Mama's to let their sons play for him.
I think he'll do pretty well in recruiting. He'll probably have a recruiting style similar to Coach Dale in the Hoosiers movie - i.e. no begging. It seemed to work out well for him at Stanford.

I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but he does care a lot about the student portion of the student-athlete. His calling out Michigan for steering their athletes into general studies majors that had no real value generated a lot of hard feelings, but now they realize that he was right.

To be honest, I think it would be good to have someone like Harbough to help balance out the Jimbo Fishers of the college football world.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
This is tough. On one hand, it's ridiculous to pay a guy more than Nick Saban or Urban Meyer who has never won a conference championship...
My first inclination is to agree. But, if you're really convinced that this guy can get you to the top of the mountain and $8M+ per year is what it takes to get him, I think you do it. If you're right, that salary will seem like a bargain, just like Saban's seems like a bargain.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think he'll do pretty well in recruiting. He'll probably have a recruiting style similar to Coach Dale in the Hoosiers movie - i.e. no begging. It seemed to work out well for him at Stanford.

I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but he does care a lot about the student portion of the student-athlete. His calling out Michigan for steering their athletes into general studies majors that had no real value generated a lot of hard feelings, but now they realize that he was right.

To be honest, I think it would be good to have someone like Harbough to help balance out the Jimbo Fishers of the college football world.
I think he's a great coach personally but he does tend to rub people wrong. Still, for 8 million a year, I'd think he'd need at least one championship of some kind on his resume for me to hire him.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Fire the President get a New AD cut off all old boosters & go get on your Knees & beg Rich Rod to come back, promise him A Lifetime contract.

Hardball is not coming, ego want let him. He will do more to show up 49er's with his new Job in the NFL at Oakland.

seriously, there some good coaches that got run over fast. Mack Brown is a good coach, Frank Solich is a Good coach, Tater Tot is ok, but surely there is someone out there right now that's not $8m?

the comparison to CNS just don't exist, Coach Moore stalked him until he caved after CMM won over Miss Terry.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Many of you have forgotten how desperate Alabama fans were before Saban was hired. Alabama fans at that point, like Michigan fans now, had finally come to realize that Alabama was not a destination job - though I am sure that some were still deluding themselves. No one was lining up to coach at Alabama. You needed someone to help you get past the previous horrible hires who had run your program into the ground. You needed someone who could get recruits to come play for HIM, not Alabama, because you were just not drawing big recruits at that point. You needed a miracle - and you relentlessly pursued Saban, paying him more than anyone thought was sane because you needed him far more than he needed you.

That is what is happening here. Harbaugh is no Saban, but Michigan fans don't care - nor should they. They are looking for someone who will draw recruits and offer their program hope.

BTW - Saban had a better record than Harbaugh but he was no slam dunk hire. He did have one championship, but he had never recorded an undefeated season. He was not the same man that you see today.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It will take care of itself if they land him. They will bow down to the great and mighty harbaugh and go in the direction he wants. I think you're putting to much infuses on having a strong ad for a home run hire coach. If they had to sell a candidate to the fans and supporters then yes you're absolutely right, but for them to land everyone's 1st pick for the job they really don't.
Well, we'll see. I'm just saying that if Michigan thinks the problems start with football, they're wrong. The problem is a Michigan problem, not a Brady Hoke or Rich Rod problem.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Many of you have forgotten how desperate Alabama fans were before Saban was hired. Alabama fans at that point, like Michigan fans now, had finally come to realize that Alabama was not a destination job - though I am sure that some were still deluding themselves. No one was lining up to coach at Alabama. You needed someone to help you get past the previous horrible hires who had run your program into the ground. You needed someone who could get recruits to come play for HIM, not Alabama, because you were just not drawing big recruits at that point. You needed a miracle - and you relentlessly pursued Saban, paying him more than anyone thought was sane because you needed him far more than he needed you.

That is what is happening here. Harbaugh is no Saban, but Michigan fans don't care - nor should they. They are looking for someone who will draw recruits and offer their program hope.

BTW - Saban had a better record than Harbaugh but he was no slam dunk hire. He did have one championship, but he had never recorded an undefeated season. He was not the same man that you see today.
^^^this times a million

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I agree completely.

IF they get Harbaugh they will get an instant boost. They will have an opportunity to get really good really quick. I think he is a good enough coach to put together a staff and make an impact in 2 to 3 years. Whether or not he can sustain that boost is another story. Whether or not that leads to championships is also another story.

We are really lucky everything turned out the way it did at Alabama. Not only the fact that Saban came, but that he was able to do what he did. Even with his coaching prowess it was not a given that he could attract the talent needed, but he did. Even with his coaching prowess and ability to attract talent it was not a given that the players would buy in. If all that happened it wasn't a given that it would turn into championships.

Practically EVERYONE questioned the money thrown at Saban. I don't see this as any different.

They are in the same small boat we were. It is rocky and makes you sea sick.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Well, we'll see. I'm just saying that if Michigan thinks the problems start with football, they're wrong. The problem is a Michigan problem, not a Brady Hoke or Rich Rod problem.
I know you're down on Michigan's athletic department, but it's not really in bad shape at all. Michigan's athletic department revenue is $143 million (4th in nation) which is almost exactly that of Alabama (3rd).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

The AD was a bad hire, but that happens to all schools eventually. Hoke didn't work out but just 18 months ago he was considered a very good hire - he just couldn't get out of his own way.

Also, Michigan basketball has done very well under John Beilein.

From reading Michigan's boards over the last few years, there does seem to be a problem with Lloyd Carr hanging around and trying to run things from the background. That does seem to be a bad situation and it will take someone with a mandate to put a stop to that.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I agree except for the last part. Coach Saban was very much a slam dunk hire. You must factor in he won a championship at LSU, a team that hadn't done anything in ages and had never been at the level Saban got them to.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.