Michigan taking another run at Harbaugh - $48M!

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I know you're down on Michigan's athletic department, but it's not really in bad shape at all. Michigan's athletic department revenue is $143 million (4th in nation) which is almost exactly that of Alabama (3rd).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

The AD was a bad hire, but that happens to all schools eventually. Hoke didn't work out but just 18 months ago he was considered a very good hire - he just couldn't get out of his own way.

Also, Michigan basketball has done very well under John Beilein.

From reading Michigan's boards over the last few years, there does seem to be a problem with Lloyd Carr hanging around and trying to run things from the background. That does seem to be a bad situation and it will take someone with a mandate to put a stop to that.
That doesn't surprise me at all. They are Michigan. They have the largest football stadium in the country, a great endowment, and a ton of supporters.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree except for the last part. Coach Saban was very much a slam dunk hire. You must factor in he won a championship at LSU, a team that hadn't done anything in ages and had never been at the level Saban got them to.
That is fair. Saban was a safer bet than Harbaugh, for sure, but Harbaugh is a safe enough bet considering their situation. I don't think that it will matter. I think that he will turn them down for an NFL job and Michigan will be even worse off for this having gone public. They would then have to overpay whoever they get - even if they can't land someone that they want.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Make no mistake about it, Michigan is a similar situation that we experienced in 2006. Desperately needing a splash hire but, more than that, Alabama needed somebody with a comprehensive plan. Alabama was a staggered program that had lost its traditional winning ways.

I see a similar need for Michigan to shoot for the moon. Besides the fact that Alabama did make a pretty smart play for RichRod that went sideways in the 25th hour, Michigan is basically playing the Alabama plan. They're willing to wait to get it right. They're not playing for saving the recruiting class but instead playing for the next 10 recruiting classes. Most of all, they're willing to throw down major cash to get the man they want. They have the extra factor that Jim Harbaugh is an alum too.

I think this isn't just smoke..and I'd give it a very VERY good chance of happening. Michigan needs this badly. Otherwise, they have no shot of competing with Urban Meyer's machine he's creating in Columbus.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd also draw parallels how all the hot takes experts pen these terrible "something is terribly wrong in [college town name]. [School] is no longer a football power and [school] fans are stuck in the past. [School] will never hire an elite coach like [big name hire]." articles in both our case and Michigan's right now.

I believe in traditional power equilibrium. You put a good coach in the seat at a school who has won before with the full support of the boosters and fanbase...and that traditional power WILL win. Plain and simple. Michigan will be great again but it is critical that they get Jim Harbaugh if they want it to be anytime in the short term while Urban Meyer is around.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When asked about the offer today in a press conference, he simply replied "I'll only talk about the job I have."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Michigan: Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman reports the numbers of six years and $48 million for Jim Harbaugh are not accurate and that a formal offer has not been made. Feldman also reports it’s more likely Harbaugh remains in the NFL.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know you're down on Michigan's athletic department, but it's not really in bad shape at all. Michigan's athletic department revenue is $143 million (4th in nation) which is almost exactly that of Alabama (3rd).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

The AD was a bad hire, but that happens to all schools eventually. Hoke didn't work out but just 18 months ago he was considered a very good hire - he just couldn't get out of his own way.

Also, Michigan basketball has done very well under John Beilein.

From reading Michigan's boards over the last few years, there does seem to be a problem with Lloyd Carr hanging around and trying to run things from the background. That does seem to be a bad situation and it will take someone with a mandate to put a stop to that.
Lloyd must be related to Pat Dye. Wonder if he has lost a pair of pants or two cruising on Lake Michigan?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is now about the HC, no longer the school or football tradition, players will want to play for Harbaugh not Michigan. This is why we get the #1 recruiting class every year, Nick Saban.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
It is now about the HC, no longer the school or football tradition, players will want to play for Harbaugh not Michigan. This is why we get the #1 recruiting class every year, Nick Saban.
True, but I don't think that is new. I would be willing to wager that more than a few Bama greats , while happy to play for Alabama, came to play for Coach Bryant. He got who he wanted but look at the coaches that followed. Some got a few good ones; some got a few great ones; and some got us on probation. I would submit that it has always been about larger-than-life head coaches, at least in the modern era. Yes, Bama got some great players that would have walked on if necessary; so did Notre Dame, Oklahoma etc. But well rounded, championship level, recruiting classes are another thing entirely.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Adam Schefter just posted this on his Facebook page:

49ers HC Jim Harbaugh’s family and friends have been encouraging him to take the Michigan HC job, but he is torn because his heart is in the NFL, per sources close to the situation.

Harbaugh first would like to see what head coaching opportunities come available – and he is likely to be a top choice for a handful of teams – before getting back to Michigan with an answer, per sources.

Harbaugh also is aware of the fact that Michigan might not be able to wait for him, especially when it might not even land the coach who is believed to be the school’s top choice. Plus, college football recruiting is in full swing, and the longer a school waits, the more of a disadvantage it can be. It leaves both sides, Michigan and Harbaugh, in a tough and delicate spot, even though they have mutual interest in each other, per sources.

Harbaugh would like to finish coaching this season, go through the players’ getaway day on Monday, Dec. 29, and then make his decision as quickly as possible. As another source said, Harbaugh’s agent, Dave Dunn, already “has a good sense of realistic NFL options already.”

But as one Michigan source wondered Friday, “If he wants to stay in the NFL, who will pay him $8 million per year?”, an indication that Michigan is prepared to go hard after Harbaugh.

There is an undisputed emotional connection for Harbaugh, who played at Michigan, is an iconic figure there, and has been hearing from family and friends about returning as the prodigal son. Harbaugh’s father, Jack, is influential with his son and he has made it known that he likes and admires Michigan’s interim athletic director, Jim Hackett, whom he got to know in the mid 1970s, when he was coaching the defensive backs at Michigan while Hackett was playing center at the school.

Harbaugh’s wife also is said to be open and on board to him going back to Ann Arbor if that’s what he wants, per sources.

While some have pointed out that recruiting would be a challenge, it is one that does not concern Harbaugh, per sources. Harbaugh believes he has successfully recruited before and he would do so again if he returned to college.

But his family and friends have voiced their opinions to Harbaugh, and made it known that it would be an ideal match. Now, likely by the end of the month, Harbaugh must make the decision that will shape his professional and personal life for years to come.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If he likes the NFL, he'd be crazy to go back to college. As I've seen it said over and over, the NFL is a completely different job than college. And while more money is awesome, if you are miserable with your work, money covers that up only so long.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I don't believe the $8 million figure. If that were true, he'd be gone. If there is an offer...and that's a big IF, the figure is probably more like $4 million-$5 million.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.