Michigan taking another run at Harbaugh - $48M!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't believe the $8 million figure. If that were true, he'd be gone.
Why? His estimate cnet worth is over $15 million already and it's not like there are no prospect s for manning millions more in the NFL, which he prefers.

Again, it's weird to me that so many people think that coaches can be bought and sold to the highest bidder. It's just not like that in the real world (with very few exceptions)

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
If he likes the NFL, he'd be crazy to go back to college. As I've seen it said over and over, the NFL is a completely different job than college. And while more money is awesome, if you are miserable with your work, money covers that up only so long.
Spot on. If this is not where his heart is, he will be a mediocre coach at best, and will not be successful. High performing personalities (Bryant, Saban, and others...maybe Harbaugh) understand this. His family and friends may have to learn it.
Can you imagine putting in the time Saban does in a job you aren't sure about? A'int gonna happen.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
If I were the 49ers organization, I'd do everything I could to keep him, smooth over relations between Harbaugh and players, etc. If he leaves it may be ten years or more before they ever make another NFCCG. Coaches like Harbaugh are not something you throw away. You do everything you can to keep them happy.

If I were the 49ers organization, I'd do everything I could to keep him, smooth over relations between Harbaugh and players, etc. If he leaves it may be ten years or more before they ever make another NFCCG. Coaches like Harbaugh are not something you throw away. You do everything you can to keep them happy.
I believe they are.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
Harbaugh has had years to improve his offense and in that time all he's accomplished is a worse defense. The 49ers window for winning the Super Bowl was predicated on their defense. Their window has now all but closed, he has no reason to stay and they have no reason to keep him.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Harbaugh has had years to improve his offense and in that time all he's accomplished is a worse defense. The 49ers window for winning the Super Bowl was predicated on their defense. Their window has now all but closed, he has no reason to stay and they have no reason to keep him.
The 49ers offense (and Kaepernick) have been a lot better in the playoffs than the regular season. In fact Kaepernick plays pretty darn good come playoff time. If they had a homerun hire lined up, I could see letting him go...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
He was sabotaged by the front office before the season even started. There was word coming from the likes of Jerry Rice and Steve Young that some one in the front office wanted him gone. This after back to back NFC championship game appearances. I have a few friends who are die hard 49er fans and they were saying after game one that the front office was setting him up to fail by destroying the offensive line and not bringing in anyone to take the place of key injured players on the defense. I think the front office would rather lose with a guy they can control than win with some one with Jim's ego.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Bobby ross is all I can find, but thats pushing it since he went to army and didnt do anything
You sell Ross a bit short here, he coached at Georgia Tech and in 1990 won the ACC and a share of the national championship and, I think was Coach of the Year. From Tech he went to San Diego and took them to the Superbowl. To my mind that's enjoying pretty fair success at both levels. To be fair though, he couldn't sustain that type performance, those two years were pretty much outliers I think.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
He was sabotaged by the front office before the season even started. There was word coming from the likes of Jerry Rice and Steve Young that some one in the front office wanted him gone. This after back to back NFC championship game appearances. I have a few friends who are die hard 49er fans and they were saying after game one that the front office was setting him up to fail by destroying the offensive line and not bringing in anyone to take the place of key injured players on the defense. I think the front office would rather lose with a guy they can control than win with some one with Jim's ego.
^^^^That

These rumors of the front office wanting him gone didn't just happen here lately. I think Harbaugh rubbed them the wrong way from the start or they did him, one of the two. I think it's a given Harbaugh is GONE from the 49ers one way or another at the end of the year. Where he goes, who knows?

I know Finebaum (yea I had to listen since I had a doc visit in Hoover today) today said Marcellus Wiley I think tweeted something about his sources claimed Harbaugh was going to take the Michigan job so who knows. I do still think it will be a great hire for Michigan.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You sell Ross a bit short here, he coached at Georgia Tech and in 1990 won the ACC and a share of the national championship and, I think was Coach of the Year. From Tech he went to San Diego and took them to the Superbowl. To my mind that's enjoying pretty fair success at both levels. To be fair though, he couldn't sustain that type performance, those two years were pretty much outliers I think.
Yeah but his question was there ever a nfl coach go to a Super Bowl and THEN go back to college and have success. Bobby Ross had no success after he made that leap back to college

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Does CNS have a clause in his contract that calls for him to be the highest paid head coach in college football?
I don't think so, but even if he did it would be conditional (such as, after winning the NC this year, his contract would jump to that level). No way an 'open ended highest paid' contract could work legally, as if someone else had similar wording in their contract, they would spiral up infinitely...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with ya Brad, plus, it no longer about money with Coach Saban coaching at Bama..Coach Saban has finally found his home at Bama & it's not so much about the money with Coach Saban, it's about Coach Saban's "Legacy", within the all time great HC's, that's walked many different sidelines over the years in the history of college football..I honestly think Coach Saban's mission now is to rewrite the college football record books & becoming the absolute best of the best in the history of the game..And it's only appropriate that Coach Saban rewrites college football record books, at the school, that college footballs greatest HC coached at..

And that's Coach Bryant at Alabama of course & I think Coach Saban will rewrite those record books in 7-10yrs, before Coach Saban, closes this chapter of this generation of Bama Football & retires with more NC's, than Coach Bryant run as The Crimson Tide's HC..Enjoy this run my friends, cause "The Process" is far from over, and Coach Saban is no where near ready to end "The Process", cause it's literally clicking on all cylinders right now & still has a few more years before Coach Saban finally shut's down "The Process" & retires as the best HC that's ever walked the sidelines in college football..
I don't think so, but even if he did it would be conditional (such as, after winning the NC this year, his contract would jump to that level). No way an 'open ended highest paid' contract could work legally, as if someone else had similar wording in their contract, they would spiral up infinitely...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Apparently, Harbaugh is weighing his options.

If I were Michigan, there is a sentence in that article that would give me pause:

...family and friends have been encouraging him to take the University of Michigan head-coaching job, but he is torn because his heart is in the NFL, according to sources close to the situation
Even if they land him, he won't stay long if his desire is to be an NFL coach. Michigan doesn't need another short timer. They need someone who see Michigan as a destination and will stay around to rebuild the program.

Harbaugh, while a good coacc, is not the guy to do that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Even if they land him, he won't stay long if his desire is to be an NFL coach. Michigan doesn't need another short timer. They need someone who see Michigan as a destination and will stay around to rebuild the program.

Harbaugh, while a good coacc, is not the guy to do that.
Agreed that it is a concern, but at age 50 Harbaugh is probably looking for his last head coaching job. Just my opinion, but he is probably looking for a place to establish his legacy. He has a much better chance of doing that at Michigan than with the Raiders.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Agreed that it is a concern, but at age 50 Harbaugh is probably looking for his last head coaching job. Just my opinion, but he is probably looking for a place to establish his legacy. He has a much better chance of doing that at Michigan than with the Raiders.
He would be better off being a fry cook than with the Raiders.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think if he goes he will stay. You can abandon any other job but it would be very hard to do that to your school. I don't think he would leave unless he had the program completely turned around, thats if he even takes the job.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Doesn't Saban have a clause in his contract to be the highest paid coach? Heck whether he does or not, if Harbaugh does get the 6 yr $49 deal being reported by ESPN, Battle amd the BOT should immediately approve a pay raise for Saban to $8.5MM per year along with money to bump Kirby and Lane to the highest paid DC & OC in the nation. No reason Kirby and Lane shouldn't me $2MM men! Might even keep Lane around another 2 or 3 years... He might decide $2MM a year to run the offense with the ridiculous talent we have coming in at QB & skill positions is a lot better than a HC gig....
Why? Just because some school paid another coach more money? I love coach and his staff. No one will ever accuse the Alabama program of being cheap. The program has proven it will pay top money for coaches, I just don't see a reason for giving the staff a raise because some other school paid a head coach more money.

Not just this post, there are a couple in this thread and elsewhere that think that Nick should get a bump every time another school talks big money to a coach. I don't understand the logic.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.