Michigan taking another run at Harbaugh - $48M!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No matter where Harbaugh goes, the couldn't have a better situation in terms of talent than the one in SF. Good defensive players, good skill position players. A lot of overall talent. However, sometimes a change needs to be made. If he leaves, I think he goes to the Bears. If he revives that team, And they have talent with some holes, he could live off that glory for a long time!

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Agreed that it is a concern, but at age 50 Harbaugh is probably looking for his last head coaching job. Just my opinion, but he is probably looking for a place to establish his legacy. He has a much better chance of doing that at Michigan than with the Raiders.
I don't disagree. I think he is looking to make a legacy, but I think it will be in the NFL. The Raiders aren't the only team that will be interested in his services.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, as always it is up to me to provide context to the entire thing. It is a heavy burden I bear. Just remember: this whole Harbaugh thing is a ruse to get everyone looking the other way because they've got a done deal with Saban, who is leaving Alabama right after the national title game because he's always wanted to coach at the Big House.

I mean, I'm amazed some idiot hasn't said that on the talk show circuit.

Michigan doesn't so much look like Alabama here; they look like Texas last year parading a bunch of names and settling on an outrageously reported salary. The only reason they don't look quite that ridiculous is that nobody beats Texas when it comes to inflated arrogance.

Furthermore, while there are some fair parallels to be made (and B1G has done a pretty good job pointing this out), you really can't compare the situations because Michigan is not serving a crippling set of sanctions that will set the next coach and program back 5-7 years. We messed up in the hiring of Dubious, but by the time Fran came on board it was well-known we were going to get hammered really hard. Fran bolted after seeing what he was hit with and then we had the misfortune of misreading Price and getting stuck with Shula.

Michigan ran off a national title winning coach because he lost to App State, and they've been paying for it ever since. Nebraska ran off Frank Solich right after he went 9-3......and they've never recovered. If they had kept him they'd have been more successful this last decade and the program would have some continuity.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Why? Just because some school paid another coach more money? I love coach and his staff. No one will ever accuse the Alabama program of being cheap. The program has proven it will pay top money for coaches, I just don't see a reason for giving the staff a raise because some other school paid a head coach more money.

Not just this post, there are a couple in this thread and elsewhere that think that Nick should get a bump every time another school talks big money to a coach. I don't understand the logic.
I would thank you for your post but that thing hasn't worked for me in months now.....lol

I agree 100%. Coach is making enough and he doesn't deserve more just because Michigan throws an insane amount at another coach. If anything throw more at the assistants to keep them here.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I don't buy this $48M contract stuff to begin with, so IMO this comparison to CNS's salary is a mute point right now. However, if Bama can get to the NCG and win, I believe all of the coaches should be properly rewarded for their achievement.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't buy this $48M contract stuff to begin with, so IMO this comparison to CNS's salary is a mute point right now. However, if Bama can get to the NCG and win, I believe all of the coaches should be properly rewarded for their achievement.
a silent point?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I just heard that CJH will be fired after the 49ers last regular season game. He may go to Michigan afterall.....
It's been known for awhile that he was going to be let go by the 49ers after the season. That wasn't really the point of discussion as much so as where he would be coaching next year..

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It's been known for awhile that he was going to be let go by the 49ers after the season. That wasn't really the point of discussion as much so as where he would be coaching next year..
This

He was gonna be fired or at least let his contract expire by the Niners since the preseason.
And this

NFL man or not, I think Harbaugh might be nuts to NOT take the Michigan job. The people and a good bit of the admin/boosters are simply in love with him. Even if he hated it I'm sure he could still have a clause for jumping to the NFL put in his contract.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This

And this

NFL man or not, I think Harbaugh might be nuts to NOT take the Michigan job. The people and a good bit of the admin/boosters are simply in love with him. Even if he hated it I'm sure he could still have a clause for jumping to the NFL put in his contract.

It seems to me at this point he could have almost anything he wants put in his contract and they would sign it...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think he wants to stay in the NFL but he and the SF ownership hate each other. I think he sees UM as a fall back position if he can't get another NFL job. I have heard though that he is taking the Michigan job and this is all a formality. Guess we'll know soon enough.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Wow, if this thing ends without him going to Michigan, there's going to be some upset fans. He will probably have UM turned around quicker than most coaches. Who will they go after if he says no? Les?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.