Mike Bobo to pursue Colorado State job

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
You may not think, but I bet you hope, right?
All Alabama fans should. :cool:

Richt doesn't tend to compete too much head to head with Alabama for players but he does absolutely cut off UT's recruiting in Georgia.

UT's success is pretty much reliant on recruiting GA, specially the Atlanta area, so it's been great to watch over the years.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Jeff, if you include Alvin Kamara, UT has a half dozen kids from Georgia among their current commitments, with the bulk of them coming from the Atlanta area.

Georgia is gathering its best recruiting class on paper since its cursed Dream Team of Crowell, Drew, Malcolm Mitchell et al, but they still whiff on an inexplicably high percentage of top instate kids. Richt and company didn't go after all those UT commits, but they went after several of them.

I don't expect their batting average to improve if Bobo heads west.

All Alabama fans should. :cool:

Richt doesn't tend to compete too much head to head with Alabama for players but he does absolutely cut off UT's recruiting in Georgia.

UT's success is pretty much reliant on recruiting GA, specially the Atlanta area, so it's been great to watch over the years.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Bobo is one of the most overrated OC's I've seen. Lost several games by having 1st and goal inside the 10 and not giving Gurley a single carry. Maybe it's just me but I've never really been impressed by his play calling..
I have the same opinion as you. I'm surprised he has lasted as long as he has at UGa because his play calling has been unimpressive for several years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Minority viewpoint here .... If Bobo goes, Richt won't last two more years. Georgia hasn't put a consistent defense on the field since Vangorder Days. Bobo's offense has been very good, even when he had a substandard quarterback. He is also one of the best -- if not the best -- recruiter on that staff (though Pruitt may turn out to be his equal).

We can nitpick his offense all we want but busted plays and bad calls plague every team -- I've even heard we had a couple about 10 years back.

Bobo gets an avalanche of blame from Georgia fans for not scoring on every play. Let's see who they get to replace him. Let's see who they get to replace their head coach soon after that.
Would all depend on who Richt gets to be the OC. With UGA's schedule, they should win at least 7 games a season - 2 or 3 easy OOC games plus Georgia Tech along with the SEC East schedule. No reason UGA shouldn't be 7-5, and that's in an unfortunate year (injuries, tough schedule, and ball bouncing other teams' way).

That's why UGA fans should be - and most are - frustrated with Richt. They are consistently in the 9-3 to 11-1 range, but that's not saying much because of the situation UGA has.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm curious to know why you think Bobo is less accomplished?

In McElwain's 4 years at Bama, the offense ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QB's ended up in the NFL (only 1 is still there). Good recruiter.

In the last 4 years, Georgia's offense has ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QBs ended up in the NFL (both still there, one a starter); this doesn't count the ones he tutored as just the QB coach (David Greene & DJ Shockley). Coached the QB who is the all time passing and TD leader in the SEC. Good recruiter.

McElwain has a few more years in football with a few other stops, but Bobo has done very well coaching QBs and running the offense at UGA. CSU did ok with the last guy they hired that wasn't a proven head coach. I see no reason to believe that Bobo wouldn't be successful at CSU, given his success at UGA and since McElwain left the program in better shape than he found it.
That's fair. I guess perception is reality and since Coach Mac left UA all of us can do nothing but wish him the best. We've followed his career at CSU and now have a healthy respect for him as a new head coach in the SEC. In fact, most of us think he will breathe life back into the Gator program. The Georgia fans, on the other hand, are ready to run Bobo out of town. Most of them I know want him to get the CSU job to get him away from UGA.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Would all depend on who Richt gets to be the OC. With UGA's schedule, they should win at least 7 games a season - 2 or 3 easy OOC games plus Georgia Tech along with the SEC East schedule. No reason UGA shouldn't be 7-5, and that's in an unfortunate year (injuries, tough schedule, and ball bouncing other teams' way).

That's why UGA fans should be - and most are - frustrated with Richt. They are consistently in the 9-3 to 11-1 range, but that's not saying much because of the situation UGA has.
Agree on all fronts. Bobo, though, has gotten very little credit for keeping March Richt afloat.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
i really have no clue how he will do at csu, but one thing is for sure, he will not have near the level of talent he did at uga. uga has flat been loaded with talent, on both sides of the ball, for the past 12-15 years. they have very few results to show for it.
As the saying goes... Ga. did less with more than any team in the SEC.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's fair. I guess perception is reality and since Coach Mac left UA all of us can do nothing but wish him the best. We've followed his career at CSU and now have a healthy respect for him as a new head coach in the SEC. In fact, most of us think he will breathe life back into the Gator program. The Georgia fans, on the other hand, are ready to run Bobo out of town. Most of them I know want him to get the CSU job to get him away from UGA.
that is what is going to make this so entertaining imho. bobo ain't the problem :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
As the saying goes... Ga. did less with more than any team in the SEC.
i read somewhere, a uga fan listed of all of the crazy talent they have had come thru athens with no real results (e.g. david greene, aj greene, moreno, gurley, mitchell, and the list goes on and on) and then the comment, "and you think this next batch of recruits is going to come in and turn things around"

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
True. Most of them want him gone. But as 92Tide points out, Bobo isn't the issue.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
True. Most of them want him gone. But as 92Tide points out, Bobo isn't the issue.

It may be really complicated. As much as we like to disparage Mississippi players, Atlanta-area kids have dominated the CNS doghouse over the last two years. Kamara, Drake, Freitag, Geno Smith, even Tyren Jones. Compare that to Richt's chronic inability to keep his roster near 85 because so many kids get bounced or flame out.

Wonder if there's something in the Chattahoochee drinking water?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It may be really complicated. As much as we like to disparage Mississippi players, Atlanta-area kids have dominated the CNS doghouse over the last two years. Kamara, Drake, Freitag, Geno Smith, even Tyren Jones. Compare that to Richt's chronic inability to keep his roster near 85 because so many kids get bounced or flame out.

Wonder if there's something in the Chattahoochee drinking water?
My point was that the offense generally runs pretty well at UGA, which would indicate Bobo is doing well at his job. Defense, special teams and head coaching decisions are what's preventing UGA from making hte leap, IMO.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
CJM seems to have left CSU in OK shape ,so any coach who comes in will do OK for a couple of years till CJM players cycle out.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'm curious to know why you think Bobo is less accomplished?

In McElwain's 4 years at Bama, the offense ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QB's ended up in the NFL (only 1 is still there). Good recruiter.

In the last 4 years, Georgia's offense has ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QBs ended up in the NFL (both still there, one a starter); this doesn't count the ones he tutored as just the QB coach (David Greene & DJ Shockley). Coached the QB who is the all time passing and TD leader in the SEC. Good recruiter.

McElwain has a few more years in football with a few other stops, but Bobo has done very well coaching QBs and running the offense at UGA. CSU did ok with the last guy they hired that wasn't a proven head coach. I see no reason to believe that Bobo wouldn't be successful at CSU, given his success at UGA and since McElwain left the program in better shape than he found it.

CJM 2 national championships , 1SEC championship is more accomplished than CMB's 0 and 0 over last 4 years. It is not always about overall offensive output. Identifying the team's strength and playing to it, is more important than statistical numbers . Coach Mac designed an offense to control time of possession , shorten the game and compliment the defense. Mike Bobo's offense has been really good at times, and not so good at critical moments. Inconsistency and bad play calling at critical times are lowlights of the last 4 years in Athens. They are also the reason many will not miss Mike Bobo in Sanford Stadium.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.