Mike Bobo to pursue Colorado State job

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I agree. Could be an opportunity for Bobo to prove himself as a head coach. Seems to have worked well for Jim Mac.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I think it is a great move. It looks like Mac has set the next coach up for a few years with players and Bobo can recruit.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Bobo is one of the most overrated OC's I've seen. Lost several games by having 1st and goal inside the 10 and not giving Gurley a single carry. Maybe it's just me but I've never really been impressed by his play calling..

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Bobo is one of the most overrated OC's I've seen. Lost several games by having 1st and goal inside the 10 and not giving Gurley a single carry. Maybe it's just me but I've never really been impressed by his play calling..
I wonder if that's Bobo or Richt. Richt was conservative like that when he was calling plays. I think he meddles in the offense much like Muschamp did at UF.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I wonder if that's Bobo or Richt. Richt was conservative like that when he was calling plays. I think he meddles in the offense much like Muschamp did at UF.
I'm pretty sure Bobo calls the plays. He's been there forever..

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I agree. Could be an opportunity for Bobo to prove himself as a head coach. Seems to have worked well for Jim Mac.
The difference is that Coach Mac outgrew his position at Alabama after an excellent tenure in Tuscaloosa. CSU was happy to take a risk on such a star coming from the SEC and boy did it pay off after coach built it into a conference championship contender in 3 years. Bobo, on the other hand, is much less accomplished. I would venture to say that Colorado State would be much better off hiring a proven head coach instead of rolling the dice on Bobo. Georgia fans certainly want him gone though.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The difference is that Coach Mac outgrew his position at Alabama after an excellent tenure in Tuscaloosa. CSU was happy to take a risk on such a star coming from the SEC and boy did it pay off after coach built it into a conference championship contender in 3 years. Bobo, on the other hand, is much less accomplished. I would venture to say that Colorado State would be much better off hiring a proven head coach instead of rolling the dice on Bobo. Georgia fans certainly want him gone though.
I'm curious to know why you think Bobo is less accomplished?

In McElwain's 4 years at Bama, the offense ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QB's ended up in the NFL (only 1 is still there). Good recruiter.

In the last 4 years, Georgia's offense has ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QBs ended up in the NFL (both still there, one a starter); this doesn't count the ones he tutored as just the QB coach (David Greene & DJ Shockley). Coached the QB who is the all time passing and TD leader in the SEC. Good recruiter.

McElwain has a few more years in football with a few other stops, but Bobo has done very well coaching QBs and running the offense at UGA. CSU did ok with the last guy they hired that wasn't a proven head coach. I see no reason to believe that Bobo wouldn't be successful at CSU, given his success at UGA and since McElwain left the program in better shape than he found it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think many UGA fans would say good riddance.
it will be funny in a way as many uga fans lay the blame for georgia's continued mediocrity square at the feet of bobo and think richt's only problem is that he kept bobo on staff.

my money is on continued mediocrity in athens

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm curious to know why you think Bobo is less accomplished?

In McElwain's 4 years at Bama, the offense ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QB's ended up in the NFL (only 1 is still there). Good recruiter.

In the last 4 years, Georgia's offense has ranked in the top 5 in the SEC in yards and points. 2 of his QBs ended up in the NFL (both still there, one a starter); this doesn't count the ones he tutored as just the QB coach (David Greene & DJ Shockley). Coached the QB who is the all time passing and TD leader in the SEC. Good recruiter.

McElwain has a few more years in football with a few other stops, but Bobo has done very well coaching QBs and running the offense at UGA. CSU did ok with the last guy they hired that wasn't a proven head coach. I see no reason to believe that Bobo wouldn't be successful at CSU, given his success at UGA and since McElwain left the program in better shape than he found it.
i really have no clue how he will do at csu, but one thing is for sure, he will not have near the level of talent he did at uga. uga has flat been loaded with talent, on both sides of the ball, for the past 12-15 years. they have very few results to show for it.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Statistically, UGA has had some great offenses under his tutelage.
The statistics obscure the problem with Bobo's offenses since they tended to be very unreliable.

His stats tend to be padded by a few games where they light it up, but then they tend to come up completely empty in tight games when UGA absolutely needed to score. Even in games where UGA put a lot of points on the board, the offense would come up dry when the game was on the line.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Difference is, der Richter was a successful OC at free shoes U and WM was not. Ever.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
None of my concern but there is no comparison from Mac to Boohoo. Jawga fans will love this. From what I have seen they get a tremendous amount of talent & have won nothing. When they do win a big game it's usually the kicker.
he will never be allowed to replace Ricth anyway, he's been there way to long.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Minority viewpoint here .... If Bobo goes, Richt won't last two more years. Georgia hasn't put a consistent defense on the field since Vangorder Days. Bobo's offense has been very good, even when he had a substandard quarterback. He is also one of the best -- if not the best -- recruiter on that staff (though Pruitt may turn out to be his equal).

We can nitpick his offense all we want but busted plays and bad calls plague every team -- I've even heard we had a couple about 10 years back.

Bobo gets an avalanche of blame from Georgia fans for not scoring on every play. Let's see who they get to replace him. Let's see who they get to replace their head coach soon after that.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Minority viewpoint here .... If Bobo goes, Richt won't last two more years. Georgia hasn't put a consistent defense on the field since Vangorder Days. Bobo's offense has been very good, even when he had a substandard quarterback. He is also one of the best -- if not the best -- recruiter on that staff (though Pruitt may turn out to be his equal).

We can nitpick his offense all we want but busted plays and bad calls plague every team -- I've even heard we had a couple about 10 years back.

Bobo gets an avalanche of blame from Georgia fans for not scoring on every play. Let's see who they get to replace him. Let's see who they get to replace their head coach soon after that.
but uga has been consistent in this for 12-14 years. they have loads of talent, but cant get it done when it matters.

but i agree, i dont think richt will be there more than a few more years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.