Link: Hmmm... Boots back on the ground?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sounds like they were already there and were simply defending the base.

If it's true that 110 military advisers were on base, ISIS messed up bad. They might be able to push around the so-called militaries of the middle east, but in a straight-up, toe-to-toe fight with US forces they'll die at a rate of 100:1 or more.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
They're just advisors, remember!

ETA: spelling correction to keep out of trouble. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The "Inside Baseball" on this is that the advisers are most likely Special Forces (aka Green Berets). This is the role of SF since the Kennedy Administration. Training host nation forces, accompanying them on operations, and when necessary/possible, calling in US air strikes in support of host nation forces. SF has done this all over the world since the early 1960s. When it goes well, the public generally never hears about it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I hope they gathered up the abandoned weapons and made a nice bonfire of them, hot enough to melt steel... ;)
Yup.
One of the misnomers bandied about in Washington double speak is denying that "combat advisers" represent "boots on the ground." SF soldiers tend to wear boots and obviously, these dudes are busting caps in the direction of (and vicinity of) ISIS combatants.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sounds like they were already there and were simply defending the base.

If it's true that 110 military advisers were on base, ISIS messed up bad. They might be able to push around the so-called militaries of the middle east, but in a straight-up, toe-to-toe fight with US forces they'll die at a rate of 100:1 or more.
I knew the troops were SF, from the other accounts I read. When I read about, the first thing which occurred to me was "What were those ISIS guys thinking?"

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, the administration said these were not combat troops, only "advisers."
I wonder what these troops thought about being called something other than combat troops. They look like they are doing some that looks and smells like combat.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Well, the administration said these were not combat troops, only "advisers."
I wonder what these troops thought about being called something other than combat troops. They look like they are doing some that looks and smells like combat.
They may be advisers, but there is 2,000 of them the last I read.

The "Advice Division"?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.