Question: The Sony cyber attack, what say you.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think the film prob would have tanked. Maybe not with all the publicity, but you never know. I'm kind of bummed that Sony caved, but N. Korea is the real deal when it comes to cyber attacks. Maybe next time it is something being hacked that puts lives in danger? A lot of people need to understand that the US has been militarily superior for so long that a lot of these countries picked this as a weak spot(correctly) to focus their time and money on.
I read and heard the exact opposite last night. NK doesn't have the skills to do what was done to Sony; someone else (China probably) provided the expertise.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
As I said above, I believe the reports are correct that the cancellation order came from Tokyo. This discussion has proceeded as if that were not known, blaming movie execs, pressure from other studios, etc., etc. This movie was cancelled by the CEO of Sony because he did not want a movie spoofing NK and its leader to come out from his subsidiary while NK had the missiles to hit Japan. I know that may seem to simple, but it seems to be the truth. I guess all the hysteria is more fun... ;)
If this is true (and you are the only source I have for this, so if you have a link to that info please post).
So what if Sony sold the rights to someone else? They wouldn't do that because they feared NK would hold them responsible for selling the rights? I don't care where the order came from: the precedent that was set is clear. Anytime these fruitcakes want to, from this point forward, they can stop anything in this country by using the same tactics.
Now I hear our fearless leader was going to address this tonight (or sometime today) and from what I heard it seems some type of action (I have no idea what, maybe just more sanctions) is imminent. NK is still in a desperate situation (now we need to start to worry about ol' Vlad too because his country is teetering, and if the price of oil stays low for any length of time it will become dire) and will do desperate things. Sooner or later, someone needs to call the bluff instead of folding.
Not at all "silly" to be upset about something like this; if parents want to send their children (and this was probably rated R, not sure) to see this garbage, knowing that someone had threatened an act of terror if it was shown, well, that's is and should always be their decision, in a free country anyway.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
If this is true (and you are the only source I have for this, so if you have a link to that info please post).
So what if Sony sold the rights to someone else? They wouldn't do that because they feared NK would hold them responsible for selling the rights? I don't care where the order came from: the precedent that was set is clear. Anytime these fruitcakes want to, from this point forward, they can stop anything in this country by using the same tactics.
Now I hear our fearless leader was going to address this tonight (or sometime today) and from what I heard it seems some type of action (I have no idea what, maybe just more sanctions) is imminent. NK is still in a desperate situation (now we need to start to worry about ol' Vlad too because his country is teetering, and if the price of oil stays low for any length of time it will become dire) and will do desperate things. Sooner or later, someone needs to call the bluff instead of folding.
Not at all "silly" to be upset about something like this; if parents want to send their children (and this was probably rated R, not sure) to see this garbage, knowing that someone had threatened an act of terror if it was shown, well, that's is and should always be their decision, in a free country anyway.
So walk out the chain of events and tell me that people still wouldn't be cranky.

1. Sony executive cancels showing. Whatever their reasoning, it is a business decision, and theirs and only theirs to make.
2. Everyone is upset that the US isn't standing up to NK. So imagine Obama issues a strongly worded statement saying we won't cower to terrorism, yada yada yada. Sony should still show the movie.
3. Now POTUS has used his influence to try and get a company to show a movie they decided to pull.
4. Commence governmental overstepping and infringing of rights whining and outrage.

Has anyone considered that Sony realized that whoever the hackers are got more information and are holding the film hostage under risk of releasing some more damaging information? This possibility in addition to the liability concerns makes it a good business decision. If they did decide to show it and the US govt decided to provide extra security then people would be throwing hissy fits that the us govt is spending money on protection for a stoner movie. All of this coupled with the idea that major theatre chains had already said they wouldn't show the movie, hence likely making it a financial failure before it ever showed on one screen, make the issue way more complex than "OBAMA IS WEAK AND NOT LETTING US WATCH OUR STONER MOVIE!"

The only way that anyone should be mad is if the FBI or the US Govt suggested that Sony not show the film. Then I would stand up and gladly protest alongside people with chicken little arguments as they would actually have some merit.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hear you, but I can't agree comfortably. We go along blithefully ignoring that some of our corporations march to a distant drummer. I'm not sure at all that the decision would have been the same, had it been an onshore corporation, instead of one controlled ultimately by foreign bosses...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So walk out the chain of events and tell me that people still wouldn't be cranky.

1. Sony executive cancels showing. Whatever their reasoning, it is a business decision, and theirs and only theirs to make.
2. Everyone is upset that the US isn't standing up to NK. So imagine Obama issues a strongly worded statement saying we won't cower to terrorism, yada yada yada. Sony should still show the movie.
3. Now POTUS has used his influence to try and get a company to show a movie they decided to pull.
4. Commence governmental overstepping and infringing of rights whining and outrage.

Has anyone considered that Sony realized that whoever the hackers are got more information and are holding the film hostage under risk of releasing some more damaging information? This possibility in addition to the liability concerns makes it a good business decision. If they did decide to show it and the US govt decided to provide extra security then people would be throwing hissy fits that the us govt is spending money on protection for a stoner movie. All of this coupled with the idea that major theatre chains had already said they wouldn't show the movie, hence likely making it a financial failure before it ever showed on one screen, make the issue way more complex than "OBAMA IS WEAK AND NOT LETTING US WATCH OUR STONER MOVIE!"

The only way that anyone should be mad is if the FBI or the US Govt suggested that Sony not show the film. Then I would stand up and gladly protest alongside people with chicken little arguments as they would actually have some merit.
The Sony Films execs didn't make the decision, and it was made in fear of NK rockets, not nebulous possible future disclosures...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
"Sony is a corporation. It suffered significant damage. There were threats against its employees. I'm sympathetic to the concerns that they faced," Obama said at his end-of-the-year press conference. "Having said all that, yes, I think they made a mistake."
"We can't start changing our patterns of behavior anymore than we stop going to a football game because there might be the possibility of a terrorist attack. Any more than Boston didn't run its marathon this year because of the possibility that somebody might try to cause harm. Let's not get into that way of doing business."

Obama added that he wish Sony "had spoken with me first" before pulling the film, which starred Seth Rogen and James Franco. He also pledged a response.

"They caused a lot of damage, and we will respond," he said. "We will respond proportionately and we'll respond in a place and time and manner that we choose."
link

but i think he may be just taking orders from his gay liberal hollywood buddy george clooney

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
According to reddit Larry Flynt has decided to stand up for our first amendment rights and make a parody of "The Interview" :biggrin2:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sony essentially had no choice once most (all?) of the major theater chains decided not to screen it - they can't force them to show the film. Carmike Cinemas, Bow Tie Cinemas, Regal Cinemas, Cinemark, Cineplex and AMC Theatres all decided to not show 'The Interview', essentially meaning the movie wouldn't be seen by a majority of North American audiences.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sony essentially had no choice once most (all?) of the major theater chains decided not to screen it - they can't force them to show the film. Carmike Cinemas, Bow Tie Cinemas, Regal Cinemas, Cinemark, Cineplex and AMC Theatres all decided to not show 'The Interview', essentially meaning the movie wouldn't be seen by a majority of North American audiences.
I haven't heard that. If true, there wasn't much point in showing it. In fact, that's what I just heard on the news...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I thought that I originally heard that Sony announced that they would not object and let theaters out of their contractual obligation to show the movie. Then many of the major chains took them up on the offer. Some had not yet announced they would not air it but Sony then withdrew it totally.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The Sony Films execs didn't make the decision, and it was made in fear of NK rockets, not nebulous possible future disclosures...
Sorry it took so long. This is the article that made me believe that there was some threats of repercussion if they didn't pull the picture.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/12/hackers-promise-christmas-present-sony-pictures-wont-like/

And this is the report saying they decided to pull it due to many theaters deciding not to show it.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...prompts-movie-chain-to-pass-on-the-interview/

That isn't to say the missile angle isn't a valid one, I just haven't seen anything about it.

Edit: Wow I am late to the party. Sorry for posting stuff you guys had already heard, need to remember to scroll down and read the rest before replying to something from 3 days ago.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
From a friend on Facebook:

Further North Korea demands for Hollywood

1. Every movie theater in the United States must play nothing but Battlefield Earth for the entire month of February to remind Americans that capitalism is doomed to failure.

2. Sean Connery records that “you the man now, dog” line for Dear Leader’s ringtone.

3. Remove the scene from the end of Armageddon where Bruce Willis says goodbye to Liv Tyler and it has nothing to do with anyone crying, you stinking imperialist dogs.

4. Next James Bond: Don Knotts.

5. For Andie to choose Duckie. I mean, come on already.

6. Could someone please explain Mulholland Drive already?

7. We have just been informed Don Knotts died in 2006. We rescind that request and are sorry for your loss.

8. Sentence the parents from The Parent Trap to 50 years hard labor. Who does that to their children?

9. Alternate ending to It’s A Wonderful Life where the citizens of Bedford Falls declare a people’s utopia and execute Mr. Potter in the name of the revolution.

10. Gritty reboot of Space Jam.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Sony Entertainment Announces Limited Release of 'The Interview'

Looks like they changed their mind again
Sony Pictures Entertainment said Tuesday it will release "The Interview" in select theaters on Christmas Day, an abrupt reversal after the movie company said last week it would shelve the controversial satire indefinitely.

"We have never given up on releasing 'The Interview' and we're excited our movie will be in a number of theaters on Christmas Day," Michael Lynton, CEO of Sony Entertainment, said in a statement. "At the same time, we are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience."

Independent movie theaters based in Austin, Atlanta and Scottsdale, Arizona, confirmed Tuesday they plan to be among the first in the nation to screen the comedy, which depicts a fictional plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/so...t-announces-limited-release-interview-n273866

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Re: Sony Entertainment Announces Limited Release of 'The Interview'

Looks like they changed their mind again
Cool. And a win for the little independent guys that are usually locked out of big name movies by the big guys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.