Question: The Sony cyber attack, what say you.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
US officials now say it was orchestrated by N Korea and carried out from somewhere outside NK. Sony has now completely caved in and will not release "The Interview" after some movie chains decided to not show it (after Sony agreed to let them out of any pre-agreed upon agreement to show it). Seems like NK won this round. What, if anything, can or should we do in response? :conf3: This sets a dangerous precedent to encourage future cyber attacks.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
So now we are bowing to the little fat tyrant. That's why you don't give a child any power. While we are at it, can we send Rodman back to him?

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Communists telling you what you can and can't watch in movie theaters is just the beginning of the road we're headed down.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Download the movie on to CDs and conduct massive air drop over NK. Could be good for a few laughs for the couple of people rich enough to own a PC.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I can't write on here what I think of the management at Sony - suffice it to say, you can imagine what I would NOT do if I saw any of them on fire on the side of the road. Calling them cowards is giving them too much credit.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is only an extension of the cowering that has already taken place in the media previously in regards to Islam. Still, it's a sad day when 2 bit tyrants and terrorists have the perceived power to dictate what we watch under threat of harm.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can't write on here what I think of the management at Sony - suffice it to say, you can imagine what I would NOT do if I saw any of them on fire on the side of the road. Calling them cowards is giving them too much credit.
From what I've read and heard, the command didn't come down from Sony Pictures. One network was reporting that the Sony "big boss," back in Japan, who doesn't concern himself with movies, except for the bottom line, found out after hell had broken out, was appalled that SP would be making moves which lampooned the NK leader. One remark was made to the effect of "Don't these people (the American movie makers) realize that these people (NK) can actually fly rockets over us?" Good reminder of who the master really is. (Hint - he holds the purse strings.) ;)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't blame Sony open bit - it's bad enough they were attacked by criminals, but after the threat of terrorist activity came with it, Sony did the right thing, imo.

Don't blame Sony - they are the victims here.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I don't blame Sony open bit - it's bad enough they were attacked by criminals, but after the threat of terrorist activity came with it, Sony did the right thing, imo.

Don't blame Sony - they are the victims here.
Couldn't disagree more - I don't think the movie was worth a crap (and I wouldn't have paid a dime to see it), but this is supposedly a country where free speech still exists; I guess only if you have enough money nowadays.
One should never give in to threats, especially when there is no evidence that they can be carried out (there was none, although terrorizing a movie theater is pretty easy). Delay it, find out the source of the threat and eliminate it, then release it; in select "protected" theaters if you must, but don't ever give up the right to free speech. That's crazy. Might as well go ahead and get on our knees....

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
They are likely not afraid of NK; instead, they are afraid of the lawyers and lawsuits that would descend upon them if any kind of shooting or other "terror" attack were to occur at a showing of the movie.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Couldn't disagree more - I don't think the movie was worth a crap (and I wouldn't have paid a dime to see it), but this is supposedly a country where free speech still exists; I guess only if you have enough money nowadays.
One should never give in to threats, especially when there is no evidence that they can be carried out (there was none, although terrorizing a movie theater is pretty easy). Delay it, find out the source of the threat and eliminate it, then release it; in select "protected" theaters if you must, but don't ever give up the right to free speech. That's crazy. Might as well go ahead and get on our knees....

a movie like this would open on around 1000 screens, that's a lot to protect

also understand that much of the pressure to cancel came from other movie studios and the theater chains. Disney for instance has "Into the Woods" coming out on the same day, it's their big budget huge bet of the Christmas season. Early ticket sales were already lower than expected, polling showed that parents were "reluctant to take kids to see it in the same theater were a terrorist threat could happen because of that North Korea movie" so the other studios pushed and the Theaters caved, all prior to Sony.

and free speech? Freedom of speech is protection against government, thats all

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
This won't be the last time we see this tactic since it worked so well the first time. I just shake my head at the whole thing.

ETA: My preferred solution would have been for Sony to have released the film and let the customers (theaters and patrons) to decide if they want to show/view the film or not. It's certainly in Sony's right not to release but I would have preferred a free society have the choice to send a message to the chubby pervert everyone is now cowering to. Team America (a film released 10+ years ago) isn't even allowed to be shown anymore.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.