Question: The Sony cyber attack, what say you.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Couldn't disagree more - I don't think the movie was worth a crap (and I wouldn't have paid a dime to see it), but this is supposedly a country where free speech still exists; I guess only if you have enough money nowadays.
One should never give in to threats, especially when there is no evidence that they can be carried out (there was none, although terrorizing a movie theater is pretty easy). Delay it, find out the source of the threat and eliminate it, then release it; in select "protected" theaters if you must, but don't ever give up the right to free speech. That's crazy. Might as well go ahead and get on our knees....
Right, and if they had chosen to release it and something happened, they'd be crushed by people blaming them.

They made a business choice, nothing wrong with that. They may release the film at some point, but attacking them because they made a choice in what amounts to a lose/lose situation as they are the victim of a crime is silly.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I think the film prob would have tanked. Maybe not with all the publicity, but you never know. I'm kind of bummed that Sony caved, but N. Korea is the real deal when it comes to cyber attacks. Maybe next time it is something being hacked that puts lives in danger? A lot of people need to understand that the US has been militarily superior for so long that a lot of these countries picked this as a weak spot(correctly) to focus their time and money on.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Sony is showing horrible cowardice here, and they disgust me. I wonder if this means Hollywood will refrain from poking fun of dictators in the future out of fear. How long until fanatics start to use this technique to prevent movies they don't like from coming out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Sony is showing horrible cowardice here, and they disgust me. I wonder if this means Hollywood will refrain from poking fun of dictators in the future out of fear. How long until fanatics start to use this technique to prevent movies they don't like from coming out?
Or cyber attacking news organizations because they disagree with an editorial, etc

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
a movie like this would open on around 1000 screens, that's a lot to protect

also understand that much of the pressure to cancel came from other movie studios and the theater chains. Disney for instance has "Into the Woods" coming out on the same day, it's their big budget huge bet of the Christmas season. Early ticket sales were already lower than expected, polling showed that parents were "reluctant to take kids to see it in the same theater were a terrorist threat could happen because of that North Korea movie" so the other studios pushed and the Theaters caved, all prior to Sony.

and free speech? Freedom of speech is protection against government, thats all
I think the point is that if you value freedom of speech you are reluctant to let anyone or any government - even one not your own - take away your exercise thereof.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This isn't "terrorist." It's a nation state. It gets on my nerves how everyone throws the "terrorist" term now days.
Nation states can't commit acts of terror? Threats to bomb movie theatres should qualify as an act of terror

With regards to the issue......

1. Can't blame Sony
2. The US Economy will take a direct million dollar hit because of the act
3. Our security was threatened by a foreign entity
4. Our leader has said nothing
5. Jimmy Carter keeps looking like a better President every day, and Clinton/Bush almost Reaganesque by comparison

We have turned into a fat coward punk kid who doesn't want to get off the sofa to answer the phone.....So we just ignore it and keep playing Call of Duty....

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Assuming this is NK, and assuming they have the capability to execute an attack (on a 9/11 scale as they say), would the withholding of the release of this movie really be a deterrent?

I believe if they can, they will.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Nation states can't commit acts of terror? Threats to bomb movie theatres should qualify as an act of terror

With regards to the issue......

1. Can't blame Sony
2. The US Economy will take a direct million dollar hit because of the act
3. Our security was threatened by a foreign entity
4. Our leader has said nothing
5. Jimmy Carter keeps looking like a better President every day, and Clinton/Bush almost Reaganesque by comparison

We have turned into a fat coward punk kid who doesn't want to get off the sofa to answer the phone.....So we just ignore it and keep playing Call of Duty....
Are you serious? A Japanese company with an American subsidiary is hacked through a combination of crappy network security and inside assets, but you can't blame them? The US economy, a trillion dollar economy, is going to lose out on millions from a stoner movie. Don't forget these are the same guys who made "This is the end", its not like the North Koreans shut down Les Mis. While we are at it, North Korea sabre rattles at least 2 to 3 times a year, usually coinciding when they need international aid. I haven't seen a thread about people complaining the last time NK said they were going to launch a nuke and destroy America and Obama didn't say anything.

Just going to reiterate, not EVERYTHING is Obama's fault. You complain when he talks about a black guy getting choked out, shot, whatever the latest media frenzy is, and now you are complaining he isn't talking big defending a stoner movie made about a despotic ....pot country.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Are you serious? A Japanese company with an American subsidiary is hacked through a combination of crappy network security and inside assets, but you can't blame them? The US economy, a trillion dollar economy, is going to lose out on millions from a stoner movie. Don't forget these are the same guys who made "This is the end", its not like the North Koreans shut down Les Mis. While we are at it, North Korea sabre rattles at least 2 to 3 times a year, usually coinciding when they need international aid. I haven't seen a thread about people complaining the last time NK said they were going to launch a nuke and destroy America and Obama didn't say anything.

Just going to reiterate, not EVERYTHING is Obama's fault. You complain when he talks about a black guy getting choked out, shot, whatever the latest media frenzy is, and now you are complaining he isn't talking big defending a stoner movie made about a despotic ....pot country.
So a nation state threatens American citizens with an attack worse than 9/11 and in the process shuts down a portion of the economy and threatens "artists" and it's ok that the president is AWOL?! The man is an aloof coward.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I actually feel good that you don't agree with me on this.....it reaffirms my stance.

What other President in the history of this country would have allowed this to happen?

It may not be Obama's fault -- and perhaps Obama is just our "gift" ..... one given to us as a "reward" for our behavior over the last 50 years....

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My thoughts are that, while I hate the cowardice, I believe the whole thing revolves around liability. Let's say whoever did this is capable of following through on their threat (I doubt it). Then Sony will cease to exist after being sued to oblivion afterwards.

But someone mentioned... if this is NK, and they truly are capable of following through on this threat, then our country is already dead. I just don't believe it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I said above, I believe the reports are correct that the cancellation order came from Tokyo. This discussion has proceeded as if that were not known, blaming movie execs, pressure from other studios, etc., etc. This movie was cancelled by the CEO of Sony because he did not want a movie spoofing NK and its leader to come out from his subsidiary while NK had the missiles to hit Japan. I know that may seem to simple, but it seems to be the truth. I guess all the hysteria is more fun... ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.