Link: The Curious Case of Rolando McClain

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Great piece by Lars Anderson

He was perfectly content, back when his life was so quiet last autumn.

Most mornings, Rolando McClain, then a retired NFL player at the age of 24, would rise from the bed in his mansion on Lake Tuscaloosa and drive 20 minutes to work out and attend classes at the University of Alabama, where the two-time dean's list student was finishing his degree in family financial planning. Other mornings, he'd run up a hill on his four-acre property, over and over, trying to stay in shape in case the pull of playing football ever returned.

But the real peace for McClain last fall came when he was alone on the lake, fishing rod in hand, his thoughts free to wander wherever they pleased, from pondering the nature of God to trying to understand why he sometimes felt a torrent of anger rising inside him. Out on the water, alone on his boat, he was unburdened and absorbed fully in the moment, not running from the ghosts of the past or concerned with the future. It was, in retrospect, his therapy.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Sounds like me...'cept for the "run up a hill on his four-acre property, over and over, trying to stay in shape in case the pull of playing football ever returned". :)

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I've found myself pulling hard for the Cowboys this year simply because Ro plays for them. I wonder if he played for another mediocre team, and the passion was missing from the locker room, if he wouldn't just quit again. Being authentic is important to this guy. I hope they make the playoffs, win a playoff game, and the whole city is revitalized with a new optimism that has long been absent in Dallas. I think that would keep him coming back for more.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This kind of reminds me of the time I saw him walking around before an Alabama game (after his career there). He was by himself, nothing to set him apart, and he didn't even really look like a football star (big guy but he's not a monster like some of the Alabama linebackers). You could kind of get the idea that's how he liked it.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
That is a nice article about a fantastic athlete, and hopefully a man who has found and stays on his positive path in life.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
This kind of reminds me of the time I saw him walking around before an Alabama game (after his career there). He was by himself, nothing to set him apart, and he didn't even really look like a football star (big guy but he's not a monster like some of the Alabama linebackers). You could kind of get the idea that's how he liked it.
Um... he made me feel tiny, and I'm 6'3".

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for the post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the article. I really enjoy watching him play for Dallas.

Dallas used to be my favorite team when LeeRoy Jordan wore #55. Now, I pull for them just like when
Jordan played middle linebacker.

I honestly hope they win it all this year! And I hope Rolando is one of the main reasons.

Rolando, just stay out of Decatur. Stay around people who are not leeches who are trying to suck the blood or money out of you.

I honestly think he could be a college or NFL coach in the future. He was taught by the very BEST!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
You mean that there are/were some linebackers at Bama who are even bigger than Rolando? 6'4" 259 is not bad.

I honestly do think it would be depressing playing for the Oakland Raiders. They are not what they used to be when Stabler played there.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
BR gets a bad name because of fanposts, but guys like Adam Kramer, Barrett Sallee, etc. are genuinely good at what they do.
You may be right. I used to read a fair amount of stuff over there and some of it wasn't bad. But, I pretty much gave up on Bleacher Report about a year ago because of all the articles that require you to click-through 30, 40, 50 pages to read them. I doubt they have anybody else of Lars Andersen's calibur writing for them, though. Just because there are very few writers of his calibur anywhere.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.