Top Remaining Targets

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Richmond has to be the clear preference at the moment, but I think he is the harder pull. Good chance we could just simply swing and miss there, though recent signs have been more promising.

Valentine-Okeke has tremendous upside and could develop into a star, but he's basically a completely raw product at this point in time. A legitimate concern can be held that he may simply never translate those raw physical tools into on-field prowess, and that even if he can, it may be three or four years down the road before he's really making a strong push for a starting job. Barring a big development surprise, I doubt we would get a lot out of him in 2015 and 206.
This is certainly the case with most of the linemen we get. And given the depth accumulated from the past several classes, perhaps we can afford to be patient.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
This is certainly the case with most of the linemen we get. And given the depth accumulated from the past several classes, perhaps we can afford to be patient.
Let me state it a bit differently then, and say that it's likely even more true with a guy like Valentine-Okeke. Ordinarily, I don't think it would cause the staff any tremendous hesitation, but our depth at tackle isn't all of that great, and we are a lot deeper at the interior spots than we are outside.

Not sure exactly how much we can reasonably expect from Richmond in his first couple of years on campus, but the thinking is that he has a better chance of being an early contributor than Valentine-Okeke, and that's why he is the ideal prospect to take the final OT spot.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Can you give me a breakdown of each spots on OL... I have no idea who's who's when it comes to the depth...

Let me state it a bit differently then, and say that it's likely even more true with a guy like Valentine-Okeke. Ordinarily, I don't think it would cause the staff any tremendous hesitation, but our depth at tackle isn't all of that great, and we are a lot deeper at the interior spots than we are outside.

Not sure exactly how much we can reasonably expect from Richmond in his first couple of years on campus, but the thinking is that he has a better chance of being an early contributor than Valentine-Okeke, and that's why he is the ideal prospect to take the final OT spot.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Can you give me a breakdown of each spots on OL... I have no idea who's who's when it comes to the depth...
In this sense, it's easier and quicker just to discuss those who can play OT.

Obviously, we have Cam Robinson at LT, but he probably has only two years left (early entree into the Draft), and he may be the only pure LT prospect on the roster right now. Grant Hill can probably play LT in a pinch, but is more suited to RT, and an illness wrecked his 2014 season, so he only has two seasons left unless a medical redshirt comes in (which is going to be close). Pierschbacher has more long-term potential at LT, but spent most of his redshirt season at RT. Regardless, that's basically the three-man rotation going into 2015-2016, and that's basically it.

Dominick Jackson remains an option at RT for 2015, and everyone is hoping that comes through, but he didn't make a big surge at a starting job this year and may not next year. Likewise, it's possible that he could end up at one of the OG spots, opposite Shank Taylor.

Moving into 2016 and beyond, it's relatively thin at OT. We've got a couple of solid options, but not a lot of depth, and most of the guys we are bringing in so far this season are more likely to end up playing inside. Matt Womack has a chance at playing RT due to the length of his frame, but he's going to have to showcase he has the foot speed and fluidity necessary to play outside with a 6'7, 330+ pound frame. A lot of people did think that Richie Pettitbon may get some looks at OT, but as time goes on I'm tending to doubt it. He's on the shorter side for an OT, and was a bit shaky at times in pass protection at the all-star game. If I had to say, I would probably peg him as an OG candidate.

So, in a nutshell, we need to add another OT in this class, if possible. It's not a dire need, but definitely could use another solid prospect at the spot. Either way, I figure it's a big target area for 2016.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
In this sense, it's easier and quicker just to discuss those who can play OT.

Obviously, we have Cam Robinson at LT, but he probably has only two years left (early entree into the Draft), and he may be the only pure LT prospect on the roster right now. Grant Hill can probably play LT in a pinch, but is more suited to RT, and an illness wrecked his 2014 season, so he only has two seasons left unless a medical redshirt comes in (which is going to be close). Pierschbacher has more long-term potential at LT, but spent most of his redshirt season at RT. Regardless, that's basically the three-man rotation going into 2015-2016, and that's basically it.

Dominick Jackson remains an option at RT for 2015, and everyone is hoping that comes through, but he didn't make a big surge at a starting job this year and may not next year. Likewise, it's possible that he could end up at one of the OG spots, opposite Shank Taylor.

Moving into 2016 and beyond, it's relatively thin at OT. We've got a couple of solid options, but not a lot of depth, and most of the guys we are bringing in so far this season are more likely to end up playing inside. Matt Womack has a chance at playing RT due to the length of his frame, but he's going to have to showcase he has the foot speed and fluidity necessary to play outside with a 6'7, 330+ pound frame. A lot of people did think that Richie Pettitbon may get some looks at OT, but as time goes on I'm tending to doubt it. He's on the shorter side for an OT, and was a bit shaky at times in pass protection at the all-star game. If I had to say, I would probably peg him as an OG candidate.

So, in a nutshell, we need to add another OT in this class, if possible. It's not a dire need, but definitely could use another solid prospect at the spot. Either way, I figure it's a big target area for 2016.
If Bama can keep Davis (6-7 320, MS) committed and if they can keep the lead for Allen (6-7 305, LA)....that is 2 top OT Bama has a chance for in the 2016 cycle. Then there is Merritt (6-6 325)in D.C, in which Bama has had some success, so I can see grabbing a pair of Elite OTs in 2016. but Richmond would be a nice pickup in 2015 if they can flip him from Ole P#ss.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If Bama can keep Davis (6-7 320, MS) committed and if they can keep the lead for Allen (6-7 305, LA)....that is 2 top OT Bama has a chance for in the 2016 cycle. Then there is Merritt (6-6 325)in D.C, in which Bama has had some success, so I can see grabbing a pair of Elite OTs in 2016. but Richmond would be a nice pickup in 2015 if they can flip him from Ole P#ss.
One has to assume that we will throw everything from a red carpet perspective at Richmond on his upcoming visit. Anybody know if by chance he`s bringing parents?

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Davis is from Meridian which is less than 100 miles from T-town. Maybe that close proximity will help him to feel comfortable and remain solid to the good guys.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Davis is from Meridian which is less than 100 miles from T-town. Maybe that close proximity will help him to feel comfortable and remain solid to the good guys.
Yea I think Davis will stay committed, but he is in MS and you never know. Meridian used to be good to Bama many years ago.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.