Bo Pelini Takes Parting Shot at Nebraska AD and Administration

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
They said the same thing about bobby petrino too, and what he did was way worse.
In the eyes of a lot of authorities, both on earth and elsewhere, that's true. But....

It takes a stronger man to hold his tongue when he thinks he's been wronged. You don't have to lie, just keep your mouth shut about the old job and talk about how excited you are about the next step. Pelini just cost himself a lot of future hiring opportunities by ADs and GMs who don't want to be trashed.
In the eyes of future employers, Pellini's statements about the Nebraska AD are far worse than Petrino's indiscretions. Moreso given his history of uncontrolled outbursts.

Within a week of being hired, Pellini caused his new employer to issue a public apology for conduct that would get most of us fired.

I don't think this will end well for either Pellini or Youngstown State. Before it's over, Pellini will be a pariah and YSU will be deeply embarrassed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In the eyes of a lot of authorities, both on earth and elsewhere, that's true. But....

In the eyes of future employers, Pellini's statements about the Nebraska AD are far worse than Petrino's indiscretions. Moreso given his history of uncontrolled outbursts.

Within a week of being hired, Pellini caused his new employer to issue a public apology for conduct that would get most of us fired.

I don't think this will end well for either Pellini or Youngstown State. Before it's over, Pellini will be a pariah and YSU will be deeply embarrassed.
Maybe or maybe not. Nebraska's athletic circle treats their organization just like the cowboys in the "once good always good" false way of thinking. I'll agree that pelini probably shouldn't act like he did, but I think many Midwestern and northern schools realize how delusional and how stupid Nebraska's athletic department and prominent fans/alumni are. So if pelini shows a different color then I think he will be on someone's who's who's list soon. I will remind you that a lot of bama fans and sec fans said that kiffin would never sniff another job in the Bible Belt or let alone the sec due to his mouth and arrogance, and see where he is today.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I've noticed that he seemingly includes some crude remark involving a part of the female anatomy in just about all of his incidents. If he's like this in these type of environments, I'd hate to think how he must sound at a bar or in a locker room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
He embarrassed his new employer. My wife suggested Youngstown State should fire him as Dr. Witt did with Price. I agree with her view, but unfortunately all YS did was release this statement:

"Coach Pelini's remarks as reported are inappropriate and unfortunate. We have discussed the report with coach. We are confident (emphasis mine) that Coach will conduct himself accordingly moving forward. We will not be commenting any further on this issue.”

We'll see how long their confidence lasts.
You really think he embarrassed Tressel after what he did at Ohio State? I doubt it...

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
You really think he embarrassed Tressel after what he did at Ohio State? I doubt it...
I get your point, and it's valid. But what Pelini did has to be considered an embarrassment to any institute of higher education, whether the institution sees it that way or not.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Those that says Pelini will never land another HC'ing job at a big-time, major D-1 school, like the Nebraska's & Alabama "Top Of The Hill" type schools ever again..To me are wrong about that assumption..Cause if Pelini sets Youngstown St's football program on fire as their HC..

I have no doubts in my mind a major school like Georgia, LSU, Stanford or any best of the best college D-1 football programs, would beg him to become their HC, if Pelini reinvents & rejuvenates his image on, and off the football field..It's a funny thing how HC's like Coach Kiffin & Petrino practically destroyed any chance of becoming a HC at a major D-1 football program ever again with their off the football field sagas..But..They've proved absolutely everyone wrong, and showed & proved, if you're hired back on the right football staffs & under the right kinda leadership from their new HC..That no matter what you do, nor, does it matter if you make yourself look like a bumbling idiot with your antics..

Under the right situations..You can rebuild your image & will become a hot commodity..Cause at the end of the day I honestly think major football programs values winning over integrity & are willing to sell their souls to the football devils just for the sake of winning..JMHO..Some of y'all may disagree & that's cool..And I can respect those opinions..I just think morally college football is head straight to "Hell In A Hand-Basket" & it's heading that way rather quickly..

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I think it is extreme poor character, but my gosh, it was hilarious. I'm sorry, but I enjoy seeing people like him make total donkeys out of themselves. I know, I can't help it. LOL!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He embarrassed his new employer. My wife suggested Youngstown State should fire him as Dr. Witt did with Price. I agree with her view, but unfortunately all YS did was release this statement:

"Coach Pelini's remarks as reported are inappropriate and unfortunate. We have discussed the report with coach. We are confident (emphasis mine) that Coach will conduct himself accordingly moving forward. We will not be commenting any further on this issue.”

We'll see how long their confidence lasts.
A. What price did and what pelini said are two totally separate things
B. what price did was way worse than what pelini said
C.pelini is calling out Nebraska for their stupidity, but granted he should stop with the vulgarity

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't condone him for his vulgarity of his outbursts, but I can't blame him for having outbursts. I would go insane having to deal with all the cornuts and their delusional expectations they have. And before you say "well you have to deal with that with every job" consider that most coaching jobs don't have 80% of the state population in an 1 hr circle to you. Lincoln and Omaha literally account for 80% of the state and they are 45 minutes apart from one another. And they are very very very delusional, and most of them have some kinda access to the program because they know someone in the athletic complex so their personal thoughts are literally on the coaches desk. It can be pretty bad. So again don't care for his vulgarity but I can blame him for griping about how things went down
Sounds like he should have avoided Nebraska from the get go if it's a no-win situation which I don't believe it is. The evidence and my own views of Nebraska lies more in favor of Pelini being a hot-head.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
A. What price did and what pelini said are two totally separate things
B. what price did was way worse than what pelini said
C.pelini is calling out Nebraska for their stupidity, but granted he should stop with the vulgarity
Agree with all of that. Your point?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agree with all of that. Your point?
The point, or points, are this: you said you agreed that Youngstown should fire him, and compared his situation with mike price's night on the town in Pensacola. Like you have agreed with me they are totally different situations and price's situation is way worse. Also there is a false perception that Nebraska is the victim here. Consider the fact that he hasn't said anything truly out of line this whole year as a compromise with the AD for last year. Then consider three losses were to highly regarded teams in the eyes of CFPC ( Michigan State Minnesota and Wisconsin). Then they fire him out of the blue to quickly hire a mediocre aging coach in Rielly. Yes I know he is an alabama boy and some would say he is better than pelini, but records speak way louder than opinion. Also there is an unproven opinion that pelini has cost himself bigger jobs in the future because of what he has said. Kiffin had a very bad personal situation with the biggest names as owners goes in the NFL with Al Davis, and look at what his resume says. Also what about CNS "coon butt" and "9/11" speeches in the 07. I didn't see many people here raising an uproar about those incidents. I really don't know if pelini gets a premier job again, but I don't think this will be the condemning reason like some of you are leaning towards that he won't.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
The point, or points, are this: you said you agreed that Youngstown should fire him, and compared his situation with mike price's night on the town in Pensacola. Like you have agreed with me they are totally different situations and price's situation is way worse. Also there is a false perception that Nebraska is the victim here. Consider the fact that he hasn't said anything truly out of line this whole year as a compromise with the AD for last year. Then consider three losses were to highly regarded teams in the eyes of CFPC ( Michigan State Minnesota and Wisconsin). Then they fire him out of the blue to quickly hire a mediocre aging coach in Rielly. Yes I know he is an alabama boy and some would say he is better than pelini, but records speak way louder than opinion. Also there is an unproven opinion that pelini has cost himself bigger jobs in the future because of what he has said. Kiffin had a very bad personal situation with the biggest names as owners goes in the NFL with Al Davis, and look at what his resume says. Also what about CNS "coon butt" and "9/11" speeches in the 07. I didn't see many people here raising an uproar about those incidents. I really don't know if pelini gets a premier job again, but I don't think this will be the condemning reason like some of you are leaning towards that he won't.
I think we're having two different conversations. My view is simply that Pelini should be fired for what I view as an embarrassment to an institution of higher learning. Nothing more, nothing less. The only comparison I make to the Price affair is that, while the details are different, both individuals crossed a line in what I would hope would be unacceptable behavior for somebody leading a group of student athletes. I wasn't trying to grade the behaviors. IMO, they both crossed the line.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we're having two different conversations. My view is simply that Pelini should be fired for what I view as an embarrassment to an institution of higher learning. Nothing more, nothing less. The only comparison I make to the Price affair is that, while the details are different, both individuals crossed a line in what I would hope would be unacceptable behavior for somebody leading a group of student athletes. I wasn't trying to grade the behaviors. IMO, they both crossed the line.
Im kinda done on this arguement since most people see this as a black and white situation, and not for what it is as a gray situation. Pelini said what he said about Nebraska, and not Youngstown. I know most of you think of Nebraska as the victim of this situation and pelini as the irrational kid, but there is way more than what hasnt been doccumented that has gone on. The only way for you to see what I'm talking about is to live in Nebraska for atleast a year, which I have for the past 6 before moving back.

so to clarify
Should Pelini tone it down?? Yes
Is Nebraska white as snow in what has transpired? Heck no
Should major employers not hire him because of this?? not unless he rebuilds his rep (which I think he will)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.