Rainbow City Nativity Scene, anyone here live there?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Some people need to get a life, a hobby, something to do perhaps.

I seriously do not think for one second that driving by that and looking over at it really causes that much inner angst and outcry.

People that would cause an uproar over something like that are just looking for attention. I mean, who would really care THAT MUCH? When I was a non-believer, during the holidays, I could care less what someone else put in their yard, what a store decorated its windows with, what a city hall put on its lawn, etc. I mean, good grief...

And that is JMHO.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Some people need to get a life, a hobby, something to do perhaps.

I seriously do not think for one second that driving by that and looking over at it really causes that much inner angst and outcry.

People that would cause an uproar over something like that are just looking for attention. I mean, who would really care THAT MUCH? When I was a non-believer, during the holidays, I could care less what someone else put in their yard, what a store decorated its windows with, what a city hall put on its lawn, etc. I mean, good grief...

And that is JMHO.
I want no attention but if my City put up a nativity scene, or displayed a copy of the Koran or the ten commandments I would contact the FFRF and fight. Publicly if necessary.

Oh and I say Merry Christmas right back at stores. Don't care what my neighbors do with their lawns

Government property is a different story. If Rainbow City put up a display for the month of Ramadan I am sure there would be hell to pay and that's the standard we all need to set and where the supreme court has come down on these issues. Fine if it is open to all, and all means Satanists, Muslims, Pastafarians etc etc or open to no one. Most of us want no one

I gaurantee that there a few Jews, Muslims and non-believers living in Rainbow City that don't want their government displaying favoritism for a religion that is not theirs and even more hate that the city will likely fight this in court and lose their tax money in the process

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I want no attention but if my City put up a nativity scene, or displayed a copy of the Koran or the ten commandments I would contact the FFRF and fight. Publicly if necessary.
Why? Are you being personally wronged in some way? If your city did this, would you consider that they were "picking on you", leaving you out, or something? Is a city putting such a scene on their lawn telling everyone that "This here city is a Chissschun city"? I don't understand how this could move ANYone to protest, or as you say, fight. As if your rights are truly being violated.

Also, are satanists, muslims, and others clamoring to park things in public areas during the holidays? I've known non-believers of all sorts, and they don't even put up stuff relating to their beliefs (or in some cases, lack thereof) around their own homes. So what kind of fight is this? A pillow fight?

<blue font> What an outrage! OUTRAGE I say! </blue font>

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Why? Are you being personally wronged in some way? If your city did this, would you consider that they were "picking on you", leaving you out, or something? Is a city putting such a scene on their lawn telling everyone that "This here city is a Chissschun city"? I don't understand how this could move ANYone to protest, or as you say, fight. As if your rights are truly being violated.

Also, are satanists, muslims, and others clamoring to park things in public areas during the holidays? I've known non-believers of all sorts, and they don't even put up stuff relating to their beliefs (or in some cases, lack thereof) around their own homes. So what kind of fight is this? A pillow fight?

<blue font> What an outrage! OUTRAGE I say! </blue font>
first and foremost the blue font thing could not be easier, if you'd like i'd be very happy to show you how to do it

Second, yes I'd be furious if my government supported any religion. It's not their place and it tells people like me that to them I am a second class citizen. I won't stand for it (and my house is covered in Christmas lights and my tree is front and center in middle of the house on display for the neighbors, very much in violation of the bible by the way)

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (King James Version).

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
first and foremost the blue font thing could not be easier, if you'd like i'd be very happy to show you how to do it
It was a joke. People play on that on this board all time, if only in different ways.

And...okey-doke. I don't think their putting that cheap nativity scene up was their little way of putting "people like you" in your second class citizen place. Honestly, and I mean HONESTLY...do you think that's the case? You think that is what Rainbow City officials were thinking when they drug that tired, old setup out of the closet? That is what you "won't stand for"?

And are you seriously quoting a bible verse to denounce Christmas trees? I sung "O Christmas Tree" at school when I was a lad, not thinking, so my ticket to hell is probably already punched.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Love it when atheists interpret texts they don't even believe. Not that it matters, but that text is referring to handmade idols, not decorations. Unless someone is actually worshipping their Christmas tree, that wasn't written about them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Second, yes I'd be furious if my government supported any religion. It's not their place and it tells people like me that to them I am a second class citizen. I won't stand for it (and my house is covered in Christmas lights and my tree is front and center in middle of the house on display for the neighbors, very much in violation of the bible by the way)
you and your silly pagan rituals

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
It was a joke. People play on that on this board all time, if only in different ways.

And...okey-doke. I don't think their putting that cheap nativity scene up was their little way of putting "people like you" in your second class citizen place. Honestly, and I mean HONESTLY...do you think that's the case? You think that is what Rainbow City officials were thinking when they drug that tired, old setup out of the closet? That is what you "won't stand for"?

And are you seriously quoting a bible verse to denounce Christmas trees? I sung "O Christmas Tree" at school when I was a lad, not thinking, so my ticket to hell is probably already punched.
glad to know you know how the blue font thing works. Pet peeve, that joke drives me nuts. It's like saying "I'm too dumb to figure this out so I'll just write blue font instead" Or at least that is how I always read it

denounce is the wrong word on Christmas trees. I love having Christmas trees. When I lived overseas I always hated having a fake one and always go out after Thanksgiving and find the biggest one that will fit in my foyer. Love the smell, decoration, everything. But I also find it funny how many Christians just love their clearly prohibited in the bible Christmas trees as well. Just like Tattooed Christians, I get to chuckle when I see it. Tattooed bible versus are my absolute favorite as it truly exposes the hypocrisy and cherry picking nature of so many Christians and it seemed like a good time to drag that up here.

And no I don't feel like anyone is consciously trying to put us in our place in this specific instance. But I would still take a stand if my town did it, whatever their motivation was.

And for those reading this and shaking their head. Would you be ok with your city Government putting a Koran on Display or a Menorah and only a menorah out on the lawn at City Hall?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that his vote doesn't count any less because of it and that water, electricity, fire and police protection, library services, and garbage services all get delivered to him the same as everybody else in the city.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
But I also find it funny how many Christians just love their clearly prohibited in the bible Christmas trees as well. Just like Tattooed Christians, I get to chuckle when I see it. Tattooed bible versus are my absolute favorite as it truly exposes the hypocrisy and cherry picking nature of so many Christians and it seemed like a good time to drag that up here.

And for those reading this and shaking their head. Would you be ok with your city Government putting a Koran on Display or a Menorah and only a menorah out on the lawn at City Hall?
And I love how folks twist scripture into whatever point they want to make, no matter the validity. It's called context. Scripture-twisting has done a lot of damage over the centuries, but I don't get too hot over what you wanna think about a Christmas tree. But that AIN'T what God was saying in the 10th chapter of Jeremiah. bamachile was right on.

And, as for possibilities for the city hall lawn, call me apathetic. I guess I have other things that are a WHOLE lot more important to me to be concerned about. But you go on, fight that battle.

I guess for me, bottom line, is how "worth it" is it? The trouble that gets caused over silly junk like this is beyond me. So, if the folks fighting win, what do they win? Knowing that they caused strangers a bunch of (honestly) unnecessary grief? OK, well, happy holidays!

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Jon, for someone who is an atheist as well as a supporter of the "freedom from religion foundation", you display a religious fervor stronger than most Christians I know. Complete with all the dogmatism, taking scripture out of context, and righteous indignation.

I think the word is irony.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Jon, for someone who is an atheist as well as a supporter of the "freedom from religion foundation", you display a religious fervor stronger than most Christians I know. Complete with all the dogmatism, taking scripture out of context, and righteous indignation.

I think the word is irony.
It has been said that there are only two groups who fully know the Bible, Fundamentalists and Atheists

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.