DE/TE/ATH Prince Tega Signs With Auburn

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story about the Nigerian foreign exchange student here

The state of Alabama produces a tremendous number of high school football prospects each year. Presumably, everyone of them know who the coach is at the University of Alabama.

In the case of Edgewood Academy (Elmore, Ala.) 2016 defensive end Prince Tega, however, Nick Saban may as well have been someone from another planet when he arrived in August from Nigeria as a foreign exchange student. Tega had no ambitions to play football, and frankly, was not clear on what to do with a football.

"When Prince showed up at one of our summer workouts, we were running the 40-yard dash and he wanted to give it a try," said Edgewood Academy coach Bobby Carr. "We did not have size 17 cleats that could fit him so he ran it in his Jordan high tops and we timed him at a 4.61. His form was awful and he had no idea how to get in a three-point stance. We had this 6-foot-8, 245-pound kid who could run like a deer, but he literally had no idea about the sport of football."

Tega decided to relocate to the states after participating in several basketball camps, leading to his arrival in the tiny town of Elmore (just outside of Wetumpka for those versed in Alabama geography) to further his development in that sport and to pursue an American education. After hearing the buzz around the Edgewood Academy football program - which has won five straight AISA 2-A state titles and possesses the nation's longest winning streak at 58 games - Tega decided to give the sport of football a go.
Here's his film mentioned in the story

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: 2016 Prospect DE/TE Prince Tega (Edgewood Academy)

247Sports released their Top247 players for 2016. Prince debuted at #38.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

He has a BIG upside.
Lots of raw ability and talent. The GPA is great, and he seems to have strong motivation to improve. I agree, he has a big upside. Hope to see him have great success (hopefully in Tuscaloosa).

Lots of raw ability and talent. The GPA is great, and he seems to have strong motivation to improve. I agree, he has a big upside. Hope to see him have great success (hopefully in Tuscaloosa).
Yep...

I'm sure Saban wants to see him against stronger competition.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

He knows all about recruiting, after all he goes to Edgewood:biggrin:

Sorry, just had to throw that in there. A kid with that kind of size and speed can be nasty.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saw that Prince got an offer from Auburn today. It's his first from an in-state school.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Andrew Bone tweeted Prince will be reclassified for the 2015 class now...

BREAKING: The state's hottest prospect Prince Tega Wanogho will reclassify from 2016 class to 2015. http://rvls.co/1KfwHk8
Prince Tega Wanogho received more than 20 offers in the last month. Several other major programs were expected to offer at Junior Days...
Wanogho had committed to play in the 2016 @AllAmericaGame. Several programs likely scrambling to find room in their 2015 class now.
#Auburn, #Clemson and #NotreDame were most recent offer for Wanogho. #Alabama was also expected to offer soon.
Wanogho moved to Alabama from Nigeria in Aug. Edgewood Academy recently received his transcripts. Thus the late notice on classification.
Wanogho started playing football in August. He's 6-foot-8, 245-pounds. Physical specimen, extremely athletic. Best days are ahead.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

That is huge news if the NCAA clearinghouse is actually going to let him through (they get really crazy about stuff like this sometimes I know). This will send a lot of teams scrambling...

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Yeah this adds some intrigue here for bamas class. I figure we'll make an offer and put on the full court press, but does anyone think bama will let this one go?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Yeah this adds some intrigue here for bamas class. I figure we'll make an offer and put on the full court press, but does anyone think bama will let this one go?
I don't as this is a position of need for us this cycle.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Should we offer the guy, obviously I hope he works out for us, but I'm still highly skeptical of kids coming from Alabama Independent School competition. Sure Edgewood has been dominant in winning 50+ in a row, but they don't even play in AISA's highest classification. If they were to switch to AHSAA, I doubt they'd be nearly as successful even at the 2A level. Yes, I know about OJ (he's from here) and he's had some success receiving but has trouble blocking at the SEC level.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Would we try him at de? Or would he go straight to te? 6'8" and swatting down quick slants sounds like a good idea to me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Would we try him at de? Or would he go straight to te? 6'8" and swatting down quick slants sounds like a good idea to me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
You are right and that is a distinct possibility. He says in the interview that he likes playing D better because he would rather hit people rather than being hit.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

It's still early and this is happening very quickly, but the tentative idea to date has been to place him at DE.

Interesting guy, though, to put it nicely. You can go a lot of different ways with a 6'8 frame.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It's still early and this is happening very quickly, but the tentative idea to date has been to place him at DE.

Interesting guy, though, to put it nicely. You can go a lot of different ways with a 6'8 frame.
The good Lord knew better than to give me that type of size. :biggrin2: ;)

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Kid or whoever is giving him advice screwed up. He would be a top 5 player if he stayed and played the way he did this year in camps. Is he good yes , does he play horrible competition hell yes. Do we take him really IDK. He needed another year in high school. If he would have done this maybe like Valentine did it might be possible ,but our class is already so full. IMO we would get Richmond, Charlot(SP) and maybe Jefferson. We lead for Valentine and will try to find a way to fit him in this class ,but he is likely to go to Prep school, 5 star Tackle though. I don't see him getting in the class ,but anything can happen. He reclassifies again he would be a take.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

The good Lord knew better than to give me that type of size. :biggrin2: ;)
Dunno about that, He gave it to Farrar Montgomery, too, and, umm...

As for the Nigerian kid being a take, in Saban We Trust (as Always) - whether to numbers crunch a recruiting class, develop talent, or make up for missing out on the Nkemdiches (or for that matter, Ndamukong Suh).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.