General Thought on J. Reed?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
He's a DT guys. His job isn't sacks. His role is to control the line is scrimmage and clog up the middle. Lately he has been a beast at doing that. He's being noticed. My point was just that his position is a need for a LOT of teams this year and next. A lot of the elite DTs are getting older. Ashawn is in a great spot to be for next year's draft too. I look for him to be a top 10 guy next year.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Would love to have Reed, Pettway, and Ragland back next year. Defense would be A++
I would be surprised if any of the three left, barring a monster performance the next 2 games. Reed would be the most likely. Reggie needs to show consistency year to year and DJ still needs to prove he is a good citizen.

I have seen reports, and not just from Gary Danielson that 6 or 7 of our Dline rotation will play Sundays. There are some talented guys waiting behind them. I could see 8 on our current roster being drafted in the NFL . That is crazy .

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He's a DT guys. His job isn't sacks. His role is to control the line is scrimmage and clog up the middle. Lately he has been a beast at doing that. He's being noticed. My point was just that his position is a need for a LOT of teams this year and next. A lot of the elite DTs are getting older. Ashawn is in a great spot to be for next year's draft too. I look for him to be a top 10 guy next year.
And that specific kind of DT's role in the NFL has been greatly diminished, mainly because of the deemphasis on the running game. The NFL is a passing league so there isn't as much need to "clog the middle." The Ravens won the super bowl a two years ago and were last in the NFL in rushing..

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
There are exceptions to everything friend..
Teams are realizing that they have to have a running game. If you look overall at the league you're correct. That said, most of the upper echelon teams have a solid running game too. I think if you look at Bama's defense you see the future. You really do have to have practically two defenses to matchup up against the two featured offenses.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Teams are realizing that they have to have a running game. If you look overall at the league you're correct. That said, most of the upper echelon teams have a solid running game too. I think if you look at Bama's defense you see the future. You really do have to have practically two defenses to matchup up against the two featured offenses.
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm not putting down Reed in the slightest. He is a very good college player and will probably be a good NFL player also. I just don't think he will be a first round pick because of his lack of pass rushing ability relative to what it normally takes for a DT to go in the first round..

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm not putting down Reed in the slightest. He is a very good college player and will probably be a good NFL player also. I just don't think he will be a first round pick because of his lack of pass rushing ability relative to what it normally takes for a DT to go in the first round..

Oh, I don't believe he'll be drafted in the first rd. by any stretch. I just believe his mind is made up and that it is a good time to come out. That's all. RTR.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
reed has proven he is a very good tackle, end playing his first full year in major college football. yes, he would probably be on someones roster next year, but, not as a top 3 pick. next year he could very well be in top 3 where the money is.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Why do so many people assume he would be a first round pick? Most defensive lineman who go in the first round are the great pass rushers. Reed can rush the passer but that isn't his strength. I don't see him as a first rounder this year or next year unless he vastly improves his pass rushing skills. He was one whole sack this year and 19 solo tackles..
Never let facts get in the way of a good opinion!

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
If he stays he will definitely be on the short list for the Outland Trophy, with a good year and improved pass rush he could have an N Suh type of influence on our defense. Remember he (N Suh) single handedly almost beat C McCoy and Texas in Big 12 Championship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.