General Thought on J. Reed?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I REALLY hope this young man comes back for his senior year. He`ll be an absolute monster next year IMHO and first round pick. Anybody heard any assessments on him ( McShay, Kiper )?

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I haven't heard any assessments, Flyer, but I couldn't agree more w your sentiment about him returning.

Those guys have been beasts up front this year...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I haven't seen him listed as someone that will be drafted in he comes out early.....CBS doesn't have him listed as being in the first 7 rounds.....

Reed I'm not sure... He's better off waiting another year to get picked in first round
I would like for him to wait another year as well, but he's come on strong towards the end of the season. I wouldn't blame him if he left. Remains to be seen on the biggest of stages what he does. He has though, done a great job this season.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I try never to second guess a player who comes out. I don't know (and don't want to know) their family situation, academic situation, injury potential, etc. But all other things being equal, I think he should stay. I'd be very surprised if he went before about the 4th or 5th round and might drop all the way to UFA. It's not like the NFL minimum makes you a pauper, but with another year like this one and he might even make late first round. Either way, I wish him the best.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I'd be very surprised if he went before about the 4th or 5th round and might drop all the way to UFA. It's not like the NFL minimum makes you a pauper, but with another year like this one and he might even make late first round.
From watching several seasons of Hard Knocks, it seems really risky to come out early as a late round pick or UFA if you have a realistic chance to get into the 3rd round the next year.

Some coaching staffs seem like the give the absolute minimum coaching and opportunity to late round picks and can't wait to replace them with veterans released from other teams.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Why do so many people assume he would be a first round pick? Most defensive lineman who go in the first round are the great pass rushers. Reed can rush the passer but that isn't his strength. I don't see him as a first rounder this year or next year unless he vastly improves his pass rushing skills. He was one whole sack this year and 19 solo tackles..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Why do so many people assume he would be a first round pick? Most defensive lineman who go in the first round are the great pass rushers. Reed can rush the passer but that isn't his strength. I don't see him as a first rounder this year or next year unless he vastly improves his pass rushing skills. He was one whole sack this year and 19 solo tackles..
Youre forgetting that they rotate players on defense.... So stats don't always tell us everything.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Youre forgetting that they rotate players on defense.... So stats don't always tell us everything.
Actually I didn't forget that. Reed is a very good player, he just is not a first round pick IMO, this year or next year. Most defensive lineman who go first round are pass rushers. Reed is not an elite pass rusher. He can still be a very good NFL player though..

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think many have overlooked him thus far but NFL scouts haven't IMHO.

To me though, I'd like to see him come back and get drafted higher. If he enters I do think he would be drafted, but just not that high. If he comes back and continues to do what he has been doing he could really be a house hold name. Many announcers still don't mention him when they bring up Pettway, Robinson, Allen and Ivory which is sad. I think he is playing as our best D-Lineman right now (not saying he is the best just playing that way as of now)

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
I think many have overlooked him thus far but NFL scouts haven't IMHO.

To me though, I'd like to see him come back and get drafted higher. If he enters I do think he would be drafted, but just not that high. If he comes back and continues to do what he has been doing he could really be a house hold name. Many announcers still don't mention him when they bring up Pettway, Robinson, Allen and Ivory which is sad. I think he is playing as our best D-Lineman right now (not saying he is the best just playing that way as of now)
Agree with everything you said...this kid is a Beast!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.