Bowls: proof my conference can beat your conference

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Blah, blah, blah. I'm ready for the games to begin. I'm already sick of hearing Ohio fans trash talk about how they are going to shock the world and beat mighty Alabama.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
As long as Bama wins they can hoot and holler all they want.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR
EXACTLY!!!

I'm a team fan, not a conference fan.
An SEC fan wants the SEC teams to win...that includes the Auburn tigers and Tennercee vols,,,and that ain't happening. I hope AU and UT both lose their bowl games. I don't care what conference they're in or who they play...unless of course it's Notre Dumb...then, if there were only a way they could both lose. :biggrin:

Conference fans are made up of a lot of coatailers, IOW my team couldn't do it so I'll just ride along with yours. When I hear fans chanting "sec" I think...wasn't that the same conference that conspired against my Crimson Tide a few years back?

EXACTLY!!!

An SEC fan wants the SEC teams to win...that includes the Auburn tigers and Tennercee vols,,,and that ain't happening. I hope AU and UT both lose their bowl games. I don't care what conference they're in or who they play...unless of course it's Notre Dumb...then, if there were only a way they could both lose. :biggrin:

Conference fans are made up of a lot of coatailers, IOW my team couldn't do it so I'll just ride along with yours. When I hear fans chanting "sec" I think...wasn't that the same conference that conspired against my Crimson Tide a few years back?
HAHAHAHAHA

I especially want Allbarn to lose.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If people insist on keeping score.

The SEC wins the most bowl game with the highest winning percentage.
The SEC won the most BCS champions by a landslide.
And, the SEC has been playing the toughest schedules.

You can argue silly stuff like "top to bottom" what ever that means, or which team is the best any given year, of if you really, really want to find some matchup that the SEC didn't perform well in, that doesn't change the fact that the SEC has proven their dominance in almost every possible way in recent years.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I love the "Oh yeah, why don't we play the bowl games up north!" crowd. Because no one in their right mind wants to spend a vacation in a freezing Midwest city, maybe? And if warmer temperatures have any bearing on their loss, that's just sad.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
If people insist on keeping score.

The SEC wins the most bowl game with the highest winning percentage.
The SEC won the most BCS champions by a landslide.
And, the SEC has been playing the toughest schedules.

You can argue silly stuff like "top to bottom" what ever that means, or which team is the best any given year, of if you really, really want to find some matchup that the SEC didn't perform well in, that doesn't change the fact that the SEC has proven their dominance in almost every possible way in recent years.
But the ACC went 4-0 against the SEC.

(3 of the top 4 ACC teams against 3 of the bottom 5 SEC teams according to Sagarin)

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I admit I pull for the SEC teams over other conferences for one big reason, perception. If there ever comes a time that an SEC team, maybe Bama, is in a close discussion on who to put in the playoff, I think the perception of the SEC being the best conference could swing the vote.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I admit I pull for the SEC teams over other conferences for one big reason, perception. If there ever comes a time that an SEC team, maybe Bama, is in a close discussion on who to put in the playoff, I think the perception of the SEC being the best conference could swing the vote.
Me too Moan, with only one exception. ;)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I do think some bowls offer an opportunity to evaluate the relative strengths of conferences. But I also think the opportunity breaks down when a good team experiences a late-season disappointment, and doesn't care about the game, never mind the name of the bowl.

I can think of two examples where Alabama fell victim to this, and one where we benefitted.

Obvious examples of the first were the Utah and Oklahoma Sugar Bowls after the 2008 and 2013 seasons. In both instances, we were #1 until the previous game, which we lost in tough fashion, and were out of the NC race after leading it for most of the season. We went through the motions in New Orleans, and got our heads handed to us.

We benefitted in the Citrus Bowl after the 2010 season. True, we were healthy for the first time all year, and ready to atone for an unfocused three-loss season. But Michigan State was co-champion of the Big 10. Due to a bizarre tie-breaker process, they rightly felt jobbed out of a spot in the Rose Bowl. After having Pasadena dangled in their face, they really didn't care about being in Orlando.

I think we were the better team anyway, but we weren't 49-7 better.

Then you can have times when an historically good team is playing a marginal opponent in a lower-tier bowl in a questionable city. There's a great example this year: Florida plays East Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl in, you guessed it, Birmingham, Alabama. I can't imagine the Florida players giving a rip about that game, or many fans making the trip. I don't know what the bookies say, but I wouldn't be surprised to see ECU win straight up.

Point being, a lot of variables come into play, and the sample sizes are sometimes small. I think you get the best measure when you have teams with good, but not championship-caliber, records (2-4 losses) playing.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is the first year that I have even considered pulling for another team just because it is in the B1G, and that is a result of the playoff committee. Like it or not, perceived strength has become as important as actual strength, as a football team, as a conference and with respect to OOC scheduling. When people cast votes without looking at data models, this is where we land.

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
EXACTLY!!!

AMEN.

I'd rather see every Big Ten team lose by double digits than watch Michigan or Penn State win a national championship. It disgusts me even thinking about it.

I want my team to win. I don't give a damn about anyone else.

Although it WOULD be nice if some of those Big Ten teams were occasionally good so we could have some games worth attending

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The SEC is my family. The Big 12 is my cousin. The ACC is the relative no one wants to talk about. The Big 10 are the in-laws. The PAC 12 are the distant relatives we never have contact with. I stick up for my family agin the outsiders.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.