CNS talks about helping DJ Pettway

Mr._Krabs

Suspended
Nov 10, 2014
DJ participated, on some level, in a vicious attack and robbery that could have killed the victims. All he got was a 13 game suspension from UA football. I'm not sure how anyone can defend this.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To be quite honest, I think Saban kinda fell into the trap of a false dichotomy but I do agree with the spirit of what he's saying.

Pettway made a mistake but Saban made the judgement call that he was an all-around good young man who got into a bad situation. Notice how none of the others involved in that case were given the same second chance. I think he was probably more of an accessory to the crime then the direct perpetrator. We don't really know these details but you gotta think his involvement had some weight in the second chance.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
To be quite honest, I think Saban kinda fell into the trap of a false dichotomy but I do agree with the spirit of what he's saying.

Pettway made a mistake but Saban made the judgement call that he was an all-around good young man who got into a bad situation. Notice how none of the others involved in that case were given the same second chance. I think he was probably more of an accessory to the crime then the direct perpetrator. We don't really know these details but you gotta think his involvement had some weight in the second chance.
It was likely one of the toughest decisions he has made since he's been at Alabama. So far it has worked out well.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I'm sure when DJ was kick off the team there were no guaranties he would be back after a year of Juco ball. CNS would have likely tell DJ "do this, this and this, and I will consider allowing you back on the team". Not, "go play Juco for a year, let this blow over and you be back".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, people are crazy if they think Saban would play that game and bring back just Pettway when there were several other guys who could have been playing this year too that got kicked off.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Well, people are crazy if they think Saban would play that game and bring back just Pettway when there were several other guys who could have been playing this year too that got kicked off.
Agreed. Eddie Williams was the highest rated player we signed the year they came in and Tyler Hayes was rated higher than Pettway and he was already playing some in his first year also. Based on his talent, Eddie Williams would almost absolutely be starting in the secondary by now, and would probably be one of our best players.

Cap'n Crablegs is barking up the wrong tree saying that CNS just let Pettway come back because he is a good player. If that was case, they all would been brought back, because they were all blue chip players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Begs the question why Pettway would have even been kicked off in the first place. Sure could have used him in 2013 when the pass rush was poor at best.

The whole "he's back because he's a gamer" logic doesn't really ring true.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant to, but I forgot. Of all of those guys, the absence last year of DJ hurt us worst. If DJ were at FSU, I haven't the slightest doubt that it would have been covered over and he would have played last year, particularly since he remained in the car and was not a direct participant or even observer. Kids stick by one another sometimes when, in retrospect, it was a stupid mistake - viewed by a mature mind. Lord knows, our kids have certainly done it. We don't know, but he may well have disapproved from the beginning and went along, hoping to prevent it. From a legal standpoint, it doesn't matter. I do know that CNS regarded DJ's case differently. As I mentioned, some of the others were already in trouble. Even before this event, CNS was asked about all the players he'd flipped from AU at the last minute. His reply? "There's one I'd like to give back..."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I figured he wasn't a participant but instead got stuck in some "snitches get stitches" BS that submarines many innocent young men these days.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Apart from Earle, is there anyone in this discussion who has a remote idea about the details?

I bet not. Without that knowledge, the rest is nothing more than forum fodder.

It would seem there was a reason he was re-admitted, to the University. "We need him" probably was not the driving force.

Doesn't mean we didn't have a need for him. I find it hard to believe that was all there is to it.

Glad not to be in the position to be the one making these decisions. He may not have gotten that second chance.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If you want to make an omlette, it can get a little messy...you have to break a few eggs. Winning a national championship is exponentially harder to do, and there can be some messy or hard decisions along the way.

I'm thrilled with the success the team has had this season...that certainly puts me in a generous spirit to either support Saban in taking DJ back or just keep my mouth shut fussing about it. I'm going to put my trust in the man who keeps us winning big.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
There was an insightful article about Pettway on ESPN a couple of months ago. http://es.pn/1qSNs7i

I'm relieved that Pettway has made the most of his opportunity, but my sympathy goes to the victims - especially the student (a Million Dollar Band member, no less) who dropped out of school and suffered depression after being "beaten so badly that one of his attackers thought they'd accidentally killed him." I hope he received some sort of restitution.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There was an insightful article about Pettway on ESPN a couple of months ago. http://es.pn/1qSNs7i

I'm relieved that Pettway has made the most of his opportunity, but my sympathy goes to the victims - especially the student (a Million Dollar Band member, no less) who dropped out of school and suffered depression after being "beaten so badly that one of his attackers thought they'd accidentally killed him." I hope he received some sort of restitution.
Jergins did the University and DJ both a tremendous favor by publically forgiving DJ. I hope it was sincere and not done due to pressure. I wouldn't mind the team finding something for him to do on the sidelines for the next game (or two.) I'm sure that would be something he would fondly remember, and might make it easier to forget his horrible experience.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.