CNS talks about helping DJ Pettway

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I ripped him, not going to hide. He screwed up a golden opportunity most of us have to pay thousands of dollars for. Make no mistake, if he wasn't a division one football talent he would not have been given this extra chance. I was never really against him getting this second chance, just not at the University of Alabama.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I have mixed emotions about the Pettway situation. I love Saban, agree with him on most issues, and agree that college kids sometimes need to get a second chance.

The dilemma is that DJ helped mug fellow UA students. This wasn't cheating on a theme paper - it was assault, battery, and robbery. Perhaps I'm naive or old fashioned, but I'd prefer that the men wearing the crimson jersey were not muggers. I agree that he should have been able to earn a second chance somewhere, but that doesn't mean it should have been at Alabama.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
The dilemma is that DJ helped mug fellow UA students. This wasn't cheating on a theme paper - it was assault, battery, and robbery. Perhaps I'm naive or old fashioned, but I'd prefer that the men wearing the crimson jersey were not muggers. I agree that he should have been able to earn a second chance somewhere, but that doesn't mean it should have been at Alabama.
I don't know exactly what DJ's role in that incident was, and unless you know more about it than most here, I'm not sure you do either. As I said many times about this - with that in mind - I'm willing to trust the University and CNS on it.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I ripped him, not going to hide. He screwed up a golden opportunity most of us have to pay thousands of dollars for. Make no mistake, if he wasn't a division one football talent he would not have been given this extra chance. I was never really against him getting this second chance, just not at the University of Alabama.
Always enjoy your posts, Alexander...

And this one doesn't disappoint, esp given your usual candor...

I too was perplexed by the school's decision to give DJ another chance, but I gotta say that, hearing Coach speak about the situation today, I feel waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better about it.

Esp given the undertone that there was a whole lot of behind-the-scenes consideration given to making the decision.

Including, I have no doubt, the victims of the assault...

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If the guy has learned his lesson, then I say give him another chance. I know we make fun of other schools for doing this, but generally, if a dude spent a year in JC growing up then I have no problem with Bama or any other team giving the guy a second chance.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Agreed. I ripped him, too. And I still think he shouldn't be in school, let alone on the team.

It's about letting perpetrators of violent crimes be the most prominent ambassadors of the University, and get a free education while doing so.

To me, the turning point between a violent person and a mistake was the second assault. At that point, even if you give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't know what was up on the first one, DJ knew what was going on the second time around, and still participated. It was two incidents of violence on helpless students.

There are three criminals who I think are lower than murderers and rapists: Child beaters, wife beaters, and sexual molesters of children. Not far behind are abusers of animals. In all cases, it's about lording a physical advantage over a helpless victim, gaining nothing more than pleasure in the act.

The physical difference between (1) a child and an average 20-year-old male isn't a lot different from (2) the advantage held by a 6-foot+, 200+ pound athlete in national class (if not world class) physical condition, over an average college student. That's especially true when that average student faces multiple perps with similar physical capability, and is ambushed, unable to prepare for the fight.

It was cowardice and sadism of a criminal order. I've heard that DJ actually stood watch rather than participate in the two bludgeonings. Assuming that's true (and because records are sealed, we don't know that to be a fact), that doesn't gain any traction with me.

I know whereof I speak.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Criticism seems to bother Saban more than I would have thought it would. He seemed a little thin-skinned when people grumped about bringing Kiffin in too. I get the feeling that when something works out the way he hoped it would despite the decision being second guessed, Saban especially enjoys sayng "I told you so."

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Not sure why we're digging up this corpse. The decision was made a year ago by the people in the best position to make it, and by all accounts, the kid has lived up to the trust extended him. Case closed.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Not sure why we're digging up this corpse. The decision was made a year ago by the people in the best position to make it, and by all accounts, the kid has lived up to the trust extended him. Case closed.
There's a current clip out with Saban bringing up the topic, I think that's how it got dug up again.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Whether one agrees or disagrees with the second chance decision shouldn't the result be celebrated? The guy obviously has made a life change and deserves credit for such as well as CNS and the University administration for recognizing the potential and granting the opportunity.

Congrats DJ! Great job! Roll Tide!

Mr._Krabs

Suspended
Nov 10, 2014
Coach didn't say DJ was innocent, so let's not assume that was the reason for the lenience. He got a "second" chance for the same reason Winston keeps getting "second" chances -- win at all costs! No excuse for this, DJ should have been kicked off of the team. What kind of message is this sending to players?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ok, first off, it's ridiculous and despicable to compare the Winston situation to DJ. It's disrespectful to Nick Saban, to Alabama, and to the girl that Winston apparently raped. I do think there are some things you shouldn't get a second chance for, some things that one time is enough and if the evidence I've heard is correct, Winston should be in prison. There is a line.

However, let's not confuse what happened here and what we know about the DJ case. DJ was kicked off the team, remember Winston and their girlfriend beating running back got 0 punishment, none (over their abuse of women). If you can't tell the two apart, that's simply the product of defective reasoning. DJ also faced criminal charges and those were dealt with properly as well, there was no cover-up by Alabama, there was no looking the other way as was the case with FSU, Penn State, etc... Four players got kicked off the team immediately.

Now, it is my opinion based on everything I've heard that DJ's role in the matter was lesser. This is backed up by the simple fact that his prosecution was more lenient. The prosecutors has information to base their decisions on, so when one guy gets off light it is reasonable to assume that there was evidence what he did not rise to the level of what some of the other players did. I find this to be extremely relevant because I am not of the mind that standing next to a guy who kills someone is murder. I never could buy into that logic and I never will. It's not the same. Is it a crime? Sure, but being in the wrong place with the wrong people is never the same as committing an act of aggression, and I listened to what Saban had to say, I've read several articles and I haven't seen a single one that detailed a single act of violence by Pettway. That does matter to me.

So, when the judicial system, the University of Alabama, and Nick Saban, all in unison decide to give Pettway a second chance, am I to believe that this is a "win at all cost" move? Was he not already kicked off the team? Is Nick Saban suddenly unable to recruit talent at the position? No, it's not, clearly it's not. This isn't a case of FSU refusing to sit a starting quarterback in a championship run, this isn't the case of FSU refusing to sit a running back during a playoff run, this is a case of DJ being given a second chance because people with more information than anyone in this thread frankly, felt he deserved that.

Based on what I know how, he didn't do anything I view as unforgivable. He did something wrong, he was around the wrong people, he clearly didn't do enough to stop what was happening, and I can't speculate beyond that. But, he was punished and people more aware of what actually happened decided to give him a second chance.

I'll say something else. Giving a kid who deserves a second chance, or may be not even a second chance so much as understand why they might be acting out, or why they might have been in a bad situation can mean a lot,. As a kid I had some issues, I had a troubled home life and I got into minor trouble and my dad decided he "couldn't control me" so he just ditched me basically (at least that was his rational). After that, I was hanging out with some unsavory people, not doing anything (really) bad myself, but coming too close for comfort. The thing is, it took me years to overcome the hole that was created in part by people feeling like I was a lost cause, and my being foolish enough to believe them. It's very, very important to be able to discern the difference between a bad apple, between someone that really is a bad person, and a good person in a bad situation.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
First and foremost, awesome story Krazy. It's great to someone triumph against the odds. Thank you for sharing.

I think the timing of this situation can definitely be seen as a "win at all costs" move simply because Pettway is a good player at a position of need for this team. I personally am not sold on that idea, only that he got these extra chances because if athletic ability. You or I would probably not be so lucky.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.