Link: Obama "urging black Americans to continue seeing themselves as victims" (opinion )

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I know the feeling. You can't even disagree with the president these days without being called a racist. That is a definite deterioration is the state of things. I told my wife it would be like Birmingham or Chicago politics when he won - not because I would make it that way and not that I am wanting it that way - but because POTUS and the media want it that way. You and Bamaro want it that way. Because it's much easier to dismiss someone summarily and instantly make their argument moot by calling them racist. It saves you the time and effort of thinking logically and coming up with a coherent counterargument. Why do that when all that has to be done is cry "You're a raaaaaaacist!" I realize there are plenty of racists and problems and such, but the lazy accusers are making it much worse.
Please tell me. What have I said that makes you think I want it that way? It's pretty lazy and irresponsible if you are basing that on your perception of me as some uber-progressive liberal.

The media is a large part of the problem. Politicians and the sad state of American politics are part of the problem. Anybody who would throw around a claim of "racism" without substantial grounds for doing so is a big part of the problem. I certainly don't use that word lightly.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I will only apologize for myself and my actions, not anyone else living or dead.

I love my State and frankly hold little regard for those who abandon their homeland and cast aspersions down upon it from their elitist pedestals.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I will only apologize for myself and my actions, not anyone else living or dead.

I love my State and frankly hold little regard for those who abandon their homeland and cast aspersions down upon it from their elitist pedestals.
:biggrin2:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
When I get back from the grocery, I will rush to defend my fellow libtard GW. Why is everyone attacking his person? Twinges of sub-conscious guilt?

My homeland is the United States of America. Or shall we go back to the days of the Italian city-states or allegiance to a feudal lord.

Saul Alinsky says use a soap box and not a pedestal. Closer in tune to the masses to be!:conf2:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
When I get back from the grocery, I will rush to defend my fellow libtard GW. Why is everyone attacking his person? Twinges of sub-conscious guilt?

My homeland is the United States of America. Or shall we go back to the days of the Italian city-states or allegiance to a feudal lord.

Saul Alinsky says use a soap box and not a pedestal. Closer in tune to the masses to be!:conf2:
You're not supposed to like the United States! It's run by oppressive racists who deny the transgendered their equal rights and read the Bible. Don't get off the talking points, or there will be hell to pay in the Obama/De Blasio gulags!

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
More but not much more in general.
do you count black racists in that equation?

i ask bc the black racists up here are pretty much everywhere i go. the white racists are much more overt than anywhere i have ever been down south. boston is easily the most racist city i have been in and it isnt even close. every person i have met from philly is either outright racist or so cynical that they have written off large segments of society.

basically what im saying is that i find it extremely hard to believe that it is possible for bham to be more racist than these enemy territories i find myself in.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

i ask bc the black racists up here are pretty much everywhere i go. the white racists are much more overt than anywhere i have ever been down south. boston is easily the most racist city i have been in and it isnt even close. every person i have met from philly is either outright racist or so cynical that they have written off large segments of society.
basically what im saying is that i find it extremely hard to believe that it is possible for bham to be more racist than these enemy territories i find myself in.
The greatest majority of whites in Birmingham, and all around Alabama, have gotten over their racism decades ago. The blacks, not so much..

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

First, IMO, the term racism gets thrown around too freely today. It used to be (racial) prejudice and then only towards the extreme did it become racist or racism.
However, to answer your question, IMO, I think black "racism" is somewhat stronger in the north and white "racism" is somewhat stronger in the south. But things have changed quite a bit since the 60's, more so in the south than the north.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Disclaimer: It's been 20+ years since I've been there for more than a hot minute, so my personal experience is dated and it may be a ethnic relations utopia now. And I won't use the word racist, the word I'll use is hate.

The most hate-filled place in the U.S. I've been is NW Indiana, specifically the northern part of Lake County, consisting of places like Gary, Hammond, East Chicago, etc. That area was a great "melting pot" area because of the steel mills and other industry. Very diverse in race and ethnicity. And it seemed that every group had at least one other group that it hated. The two that really stood out to me were Mexicans/Puerto Ricans and Serbs/Croats. The Mexican and Puerto Ricans straight up hated each other, likewise with the Serbs and Croats. I would also say that black/white relations wasn't the beacon of light that yankees would have southerners believe.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Please tell me. What have I said that makes you think I want it that way? It's pretty lazy and irresponsible if you are basing that on your perception of me as some uber-progressive liberal.

The media is a large part of the problem. Politicians and the sad state of American politics are part of the problem. Anybody who would throw around a claim of "racism" without substantial grounds for doing so is a big part of the problem. I certainly don't use that word lightly.
You are right. That was an unfair attack on you. Please accept my apologies. I would, however, appreciate you calling out those on your side for using the race card as a crutch and political tool.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Disclaimer: It's been 20+ years since I've been there for more than a hot minute, so my personal experience is dated and it may be a ethnic relations utopia now. And I won't use the word racist, the word I'll use is hate.

The most hate-filled place in the U.S. I've been is NW Indiana, specifically the northern part of Lake County, consisting of places like Gary, Hammond, East Chicago, etc. That area was a great "melting pot" area because of the steel mills and other industry. Very diverse in race and ethnicity. And it seemed that every group had at least one other group that it hated. The two that really stood out to me were Mexicans/Puerto Ricans and Serbs/Croats. The Mexican and Puerto Ricans straight up hated each other, likewise with the Serbs and Croats. I would also say that black/white relations wasn't the beacon of light that yankees would have southerners believe.
I was born in Birmingham but was raised in the Lake County IL area (northeastern Illinois) from the early 1950's until I graduated from high school in 1967. I've visited the area on occasion but have spent just about as much actual time there as have you.
I agree with your assessment. The race relations have always been tense. More so, imo, than exists even in Birmingham.
In Birmingham we might have had dogs and fire hoses. But I remember when I was in high school in Zion IL there came a day when blacks got on one side of the street and whites on the other and were preparing for all out battle. The police chief decided he wasn't going to have any of it. He and several deputies parked their cruisers in the middle of the street between the two groups and announced to one and all that they would shoot each and every person who crossed the middle line. No one did. They went home instead.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
More but not much more in general.
I would disagree but then again we are basing all of this on our own personal experiences. One thing that really stuck out to me when I moved to the west is the disdain for Native Americans. In Los Angeles I heard racial terms that I had never heard before and was criticized for dating an Asian girl. I dated an Asian girl when I went to Berry (Hoover) and no one ever had an issue with that but in Los Angeles I had a many people that told me that they lost all respect for me or quit having anything to do with me for having done so.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here's another opinion about who is the most racist:

http://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2014/12/21/racism-right-and-left-one-mans-opinion/?singlepage=true

Because I am in New York for a short visit and, as the world well knows, the city of my birth is in a period of racial turmoil, I am going to say something I have been thinking about for a long time. And because I am one of the relative few to have spent long periods of his life on both the left and the right and because I was a civil rights worker in the sixties. I think — though it is purely personal and based only on observation — I have earned the right to an opinion. So here goes.
The left is vastly more racist than the right. It’s not even close. Since I was publicly identified with the right, roughly from when I started blogging in 2003 (although it was actually several years earlier in private), I have personally witnessed not a single incident of racism from anyone who could be considered a right winger and heard only one racial slur — and that was from a Frenchman. In the seven years I was CEO of PJ Media, I came to know or meet literally dozens of people who identified with the Tea Party. I did not hear one word of anything close to racism from any of them even once. Not one, ever. This despite their being accused of racism constantly.

The left, on the other hand, is filled with racism of all sorts, much, but not all, of it projected. I used to hear racist comments all the time during the seventies and eighties when almost all my friends were leftist or liberals. During that time black racism was pretty much continuously on the rise, aided and abetted by whites.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Ok, I have had a chance to read every post on this thread, some more than once. Here is what I see in my 53 1/2 years:

Racism exits in both the black and white segment of society.
We have white people that embarrass the white race.
We have black people that embarrass the black race.

The difference that I see is that SOME blacks feel a sense of entitlement, much more so than whites. The difference that I see is that the overwhelming majority of crimes are committed by black men, look at the prison population numbers. The difference that I see is that many black children grow up with no father influence whatsoever, once again, look at the numbers. The difference that I see is that education is not a priority for many black people.

For the older men and women who grew up with segregation. Yes, you were treated wrong. Yes, you faced things that make me cringe. Yes, you were denied basic rights. That pony ran a long time ago and we can agree with MLK when he said, "he wanted to be judged on the content of his character than the color of his skin." IMO, the vast majority of us respect and agree with that. I owe you respect as a fellow human being. I owe you the common courtesy of addressing you as Mr., Mrs., Ms., Sir or Ma'am. I owe you to treat you as an equal. I have no problem opening the door for you or to say thank you for a kind deed.

In closing, I guess it really does come down to the golden rule for ALL of us, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you.". If we ALL lived AND practiced that one rule, our cities, counties, state and country would be much better off.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Ok, I have had a chance to read every post on this thread, some more than once. Here is what I see in my 53 1/2 years:

Racism exits in both the black and white segment of society.
We have white people that embarrass the white race.
We have black people that embarrass the black race.

The difference that I see is that SOME blacks feel a sense of entitlement, much more so than whites. The difference that I see is that the overwhelming majority of crimes are committed by black men, look at the prison population numbers. The difference that I see is that many black children grow up with no father influence whatsoever, once again, look at the numbers. The difference that I see is that education is not a priority for many black people.

For the older men and women who grew up with segregation. Yes, you were treated wrong. Yes, you faced things that make me cringe. Yes, you were denied basic rights. That pony ran a long time ago and we can agree with MLK when he said, "he wanted to be judged on the content of his character than the color of his skin." IMO, the vast majority of us respect and agree with that. I owe you respect as a fellow human being. I owe you the common courtesy of addressing you as Mr., Mrs., Ms., Sir or Ma'am. I owe you to treat you as an equal. I have no problem opening the door for you or to say thank you for a kind deed.

In closing, I guess it really does come down to the golden rule for ALL of us, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you.". If we ALL lived AND practiced that one rule, our cities, counties, state and country would be much better off.
Thanks for the post alabama mike1. The golden rule is what we should all live by. If we treated each other in a Christ-like manner, this world would be an awesome place to live. When Adam brought sin into this world, it spread like wildfire. Papa Adam really screwed up life for all of us. Papa Adam was the Papa of ALL races.

George Wallace used race to continue getting elected and the Rev. Al Sharpton uses race to benefit himself. Both were/are racists in my book.

If we could only meet the goals set by Martin Luther King, Jr. this would be a much better world.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.