Link: Obama "urging black Americans to continue seeing themselves as victims" (opinion )

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
To think that it's not part of it is being naive.
The truth is, Bamaro, that the greatest majority of Americans got past any presumed racism years, if not decades ago. It is only through the continued interjection of racist accusations by leftists such as yourself at every possible opportunity that race even continues to be of any consideration at all in today's society. To be direct, the only reason that racism exists today is that hate mongers such as yourself can't afford to let it die for the sake of nothing more than the political points it provides.
Merry Christmas.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The truth is, Bamaro, that the greatest majority of Americans got past any presumed racism years, if not decades ago. It is only through the continued interjection of racist accusations by leftists such as yourself at every possible opportunity that race even continues to be of any consideration at all in today's society. To be direct, the only reason that racism exists today is that hate mongers such as yourself can't afford to let it die for the sake of nothing more than the political points it provides.
Merry Christmas.
Sorry but that's a total crock!:rolleyes:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I honestly do not think of race when I see or hear Obama until he inserts it into the situation.
The only color I associate with him is red, he is communist through and through. I once was accused of being racist when I said he had a black heart because I feels he holds so much hate and vengeance in his heart. Explaining that description meant he was evil didn't help. The person didn't want to hear the truth, they only wanted to label me a racist because they didn't like my views. Often this is the way that "card" is played, when the person who supports his agenda cannot disagree based on facts.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Merry Christmas.
Pretty sad if this is what you actually believe. You should probably get out more. This way of thinking is one of the big reasons why most of the country still hasn't addressed issues of race head-on.

I've been in Germany the past few weeks (which has its own overtly racist contingent and possibly has more issues with racism than the US at the moment), Berlin in particular, and it got me thinking. For the most part, the people of Germany and Berlin IMHO are very open about their past and their connection to some of the horrible things done by them or their families - be it a Nazi grandfather who did horrible things or they themselves being a Stasi informant on their innocent neighbors. They seem to have benefited from acknowledging their wrongs early on, denouncing them as a people (in their own ways - not always overt), and taking measures to ensure they didn't happen again, which arose from more of a grassroots level (as opposed to top-down forced upon them, such as what happened to the South with the Civil Rights Act, etc.).

I grew up in the South, and my dad is still racist. Most of his friends and their families are racist. A number of my old classmates at Hoover High (black and white) and the classmates I had at various lower level schools in Alabama and Georgia are racist. Clearly racist - I'm not talking borderline stuff here. As an aside, one of my first personal interactions with a police officer was in Pelham (I was doing community service for getting busted underaged with alcohol at a party), and he repeatedly called the black people on the crew "jiggaboos" quietly to us white kids on the crew during the day.

When I call these friends, acquaintances, and family out on something they said or ask them why they think that way, etc., their response is often that they are not racist or something about how they have a black friend or colleague. When something about the Civil War comes up, they assert slavery had nothing to do with it. They won't talk about the way they or their parents or other families treated blacks and others back when it was socially acceptable for them to treat non-whites like dogs - much less admit that such behavior or wrong and confront it as such. So, this type of behavior and the belief system that perpetuates it just continues, albeit in a form that can allow them to still get through life without public rebuke. It's still a lie even if you believe it. True soul-searching is a difficult thing to do, and too many Americans aren't willing to do it or even honestly discuss difficult subjects in the open.

It's posts like these (this non-sports board is littered with them - one of the reasons I frequent other message boards these days) that make me more pessimistic about whether America will get to where it needs to be within my lifetime.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Pretty sad if this is what you actually believe. You should probably get out more. This way of thinking is one of the big reasons why most of the country still hasn't addressed issues of race head-on.

I've been in Germany the past few weeks (which has its own overtly racist contingent and possibly has more issues with racism than the US at the moment), Berlin in particular, and it got me thinking. For the most part, the people of Germany and Berlin IMHO are very open about their past and their connection to some of the horrible things done by them or their families - be it a Nazi grandfather who did horrible things or they themselves being a Stasi informant on their innocent neighbors. They seem to have benefited from acknowledging their wrongs early on, denouncing them as a people (in their own ways - not always overt), and taking measures to ensure they didn't happen again, which arose from more of a grassroots level (as opposed to top-down forced upon them, such as what happened to the South with the Civil Rights Act, etc.).

I grew up in the South, and my dad is still racist. Most of his friends and their families are racist. A number of my old classmates at Hoover High (black and white) and the classmates I had at various lower level schools in Alabama and Georgia are racist. Clearly racist - I'm not talking borderline stuff here. As an aside, one of my first personal interactions with a police officer was in Pelham (I was doing community service for getting busted underaged with alcohol at a party), and he repeatedly called the black people on the crew "jiggaboos" quietly to us white kids on the crew during the day.

When I call these friends, acquaintances, and family out on something they said or ask them why they think that way, etc., their response is often that they are not racist or something about how they have a black friend or colleague. When something about the Civil War comes up, they assert slavery had nothing to do with it. They won't talk about the way they or their parents or other families treated blacks and others back when it was socially acceptable for them to treat non-whites like dogs - much less admit that such behavior or wrong and confront it as such. So, this type of behavior and the belief system that perpetuates it just continues, albeit in a form that can allow them to still get through life without public rebuke. It's still a lie even if you believe it. True soul-searching is a difficult thing to do, and too many Americans aren't willing to do it or even honestly discuss difficult subjects in the open.

It's posts like these (this non-sports board is littered with them - one of the reasons I frequent other message boards these days) that make me more pessimistic about whether America will get to where it needs to be within my lifetime.
Unfortunately, it is a two way street, not a one way as you just described. We see it every day in attacks on whites specifically by blacks in the knock out game and every little infraction they may not have even had a racist undertone being turned upside down to be used as an "advantage" by the poverty pimps to get "more" for themselves by rallying the masses.

Now I haven't been quiet about my views on racism. My experiences really started in junior high and on in to high school and college and unfortunately, many of those incidents have formulated a lot of my thoughts/believes today. So we can talk about the black community voting 90+ percent democrat for no other reason than that. We can talk about the higher crime rates in the black community against both black & whites. We can talk about the percentage of blacks on welfare and being raised in single family homes v. whites.

So maybe it is "racist" to point out these facts and I can certainly see where constantly bringing up these subjects is probably like getting a scab ripped off a staff infected scrape. (been there it hurts) Quite honestly, I don't think we'll ever see racial harmony in this country. Its sad because I really try to take individuals as just that. If I know guys are hard working men supporting their families, paying their taxes and just busting their butts in general, then those guys are just guys to me. Not black, not white, not Hispanic or Asian. They are just men. Maybe that's the dream of MLK. I just don't think its the dream of the democratic leaders who constantly exploit the race card to get a perceived stranglehold on the black voters.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
GW-Law.....are you referencing the Germans to express an idea on how to deal with race? Or how not to?

Seems they took the time to acknowledge their wrongdoings yet are still knee deep in it....

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Can someone point out what Obama has done for blacks, that doesn't include increasing their dependence on an already bloated federal bureaucracy?

Maybe the biggest government lie of all, the Affordable Care Act, can be pointed to, but that in itself is a pathetic example of a government that actually has good and moral intentions.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
To think that it's not part of it is being naive.
But all sarcasm and snarkiness aside....how do you fix racism? Outside of jailing people for how they feel....not sure it's ever fixable. Someone will always feel slighted.

There are hundreds of reasons why racism exists. There are thousands of explanations people use to justify their feelings on both sides. Zero solutions.

Maybe it's not fixable.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, some cant get over having a half black POTUS.
That's not even close to what I was referring to. Those who don't like Obama as POTUS simply because he is black is such a minuscule amount of people it doesn't even register in reality. People can't stand him because of his policies, his ideology, and the things that he has done while in office. And race relations have suffered as a direct result of his actions, inaction, or language used while speaking about these issues.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I know the feeling. You can't even disagree with the president these days without being called a racist. That is a definite deterioration is the state of things. I told my wife it would be like Birmingham or Chicago politics when he won - not because I would make it that way and not that I am wanting it that way - but because POTUS and the media want it that way. You and Bamaro want it that way. Because it's much easier to dismiss someone summarily and instantly make their argument moot by calling them racist. It saves you the time and effort of thinking logically and coming up with a coherent counterargument. Why do that when all that has to be done is cry "You're a raaaaaaacist!" I realize there are plenty of racists and problems and such, but the lazy accusers are making it much worse.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

Odd as how I expected the things you said when I moved back to Birmingham 3.5 years ago after being away for 28 years and yet I have witnessed very little of it. Yes, it still exist but not nearly the capacity that you mention. I keep saying that the most racist city that I have lived in is Los Angeles.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Odd as how I expected the things you said when I moved back to Birmingham 3.5 years ago after being away for 28 years and yet I have witnessed very little of it. Yes, it still exist but not nearly the capacity that you mention. I keep saying that the most racist city that I have lived in is Los Angeles.
Try Chicago or Philadelphia.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
....I grew up in the South, and my dad is still racist. Most of his friends and their families are racist. A number of my old classmates at Hoover High (black and white) and the classmates I had at various lower level schools in Alabama and Georgia are racist. Clearly racist - I'm not talking borderline stuff here. As an aside, one of my first personal interactions with a police officer was in Pelham (I was doing community service for getting busted underaged with alcohol at a party), and he repeatedly called the black people on the crew "jiggaboos" quietly to us white kids on the crew during the day.

Yada, yada, yada.
I can go on (just as you have) about how I was born in Birmingham and saw the injustices of the '50s & '60s, etc. I saw a lot of things that I didn't care for. But that was then. This is now. We can't change what happened back then no matter how hard we try. We can't rewrite history regardless of how much we or you wish it.
What we can do is to try to treat each an every person the same, regardless of the color of their skin. That's what I try to do, and that's how I want to be treated by every person I know or meet.
But you see, that can't happen if both the media and our political "leaders" continue to encourage folks of a certain race or ethnicity to see themselves as victims. And that's what's happening now.
And that's what this conversation is all about. Not what happened 50+ years ago in the US, or what has happened or is happening in other countries now or in the past.
What happens in the here and now and how we act and influence them, and how we let those things influence us, are the things with which we should really concern ourselves.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Yada, yada, yada.
I can go on (just as you have) about how I was born in Birmingham and saw the injustices of the '50s & '60s, etc. I saw a lot of things that I didn't care for.......
What we can do is to try to treat each an every person the same, regardless of the color of their skin. ......
I agree with the post, but I cant treat each and every person the same. Mainly bc that can get me killed here. I treat people the way they present themselves to me. I also engage in risk avoidance.
Here in Baltimore there is one demographic that has embraced violence. There is one demographic that fills the lists of arrests/wanted suspects/incarcerated/etc. There is one single demographic that is involved with the vast majority of the violent crimes. There is one demographic that randomly attacks people based solely on the color of their skin. Yet the media and libs are breaking themselves in half not to notice and to label anyone who does notice as a racist.
Those Jewish grandmothers are a true terror.

Last edited:

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
GW-Law.....are you referencing the Germans to express an idea on how to deal with race? Or how not to?

Seems they took the time to acknowledge their wrongdoings yet are still knee deep in it....
Not how they deal with race (they have their own overtly racist contingent here), but with how they've dealt with their Nazi/Stasi/SS/etc. past on a personal level. They will talk about it and denounce the sins of their own blood. For example, speaking to the son of a former Stasi (who was responsible for putting his best friend's dad in a camp for 8 years), he makes no excuses, and it was pretty incredible to hear about the very direct denouncement on a personal of that generation broadly from the previous. Both Germany/East Berlin and the Confederacy were defeated nations in a sense who committed horrible wrongs against an "other" on immoral grounds, and so many things have struck me as parallels in my experience.

In short, I think that sort of grassroots acknowledgement and addressing of the wrongs of the past was an important step here for those who did it (some parts of Germany seem a bit more behind than others) and I don't believe the South ever went through anything like this, and it shows every time I go back "home" to see family and friends.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I agree with the post, but I cant treat each and every person the same. Mainly bc that can get me killed here. I treat people the way they present themselves to me. I also engage in risk avoidance.
Here in Baltimore there is one demographic that has embraced violence. There is one demographic that fills the lists of arrests/wanted suspects/incarcerated/etc. There is one single demographic that is involved with the vast majority of the violent crimes. There is one demographic that randomly attacks people based solely on the color of their skin. Yet the media and libs are breaking themselves in half not to notice and to label anyone who does notice as a racist.
Those Jewish grandmothers are a true terror.
The demographic is poverty not race.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Yes, people in Birmingham are polite.

I agree that L.A. can be a pretty racist place, but I think that it is, for the most part, for very different reasons and is of a very different kind than what I continue to see in the South. I will say that, in L.A., if you are profiling on race to figure out who you should be afraid of, good luck. Poverty is the culprit here.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
The demographic is poverty not race.
I agree 100%. But when a white person acts like trash, we all jump on it immediately and do everything possible to highlight it, and shame them for their behavior. When a black person acts like trash, the libs pat them on the head, say we cant expect any better, and demand no one notice. That is the problem, and that is what is driving a lot of the racial tension today.

Also when some violent young poor black gets killed by the police, it also isnt racial as much as the police are in a poor violent area and feel the need to respond accordingly. Yet all the race pimps just want it to be about the color of the skin.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.