Allen HS 3-peats, with aTm recruit, Kyler Murray

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Pondered posting this last night, but decided against it. In light of some of the posts that have been made today, maybe we need a change of pace. So, here goes.

Kyler Murray is the son of former aTm QB Kevin Murray, who runs this outfit:

http://www.air14football.com/

Kyler is 43-0, as a starter. He won the Gatorade National Player of the Year, to go with winning the Texas Player of the Year twice.

His career stats are around 10k yards passing, with over 4k rushing. He is a pocket passer, with a strong arm. Some of his rushes are designed plays. A lot are scrambles, when things go south.

Unlike Johnny Hancock, who seems to live for chaotic situations, where he can run all over the field, like a crazy person, back and forth across the field, hoping for that magical moment where he can fling a seemingly improbable 40-yard bomb, off his back foot, Kyler just pulls it down and takes off. He forgoes all the histrionics and drama, and just runs for a 1st down.

So, how does he compare to that other QB they have down there, that is supposed to be a good pocket passer, with the ability to run? Who also won a State championship.

Well, only got to see him once, in HS. His team came into Allen's brand new stadium (yeah, the one that might fall down), as the defending State champions, that he was the QB for. It was the first game of his Senior year.

It wasn't a pretty start. Allen ran them out of the stadium. It wasn't close. They controlled the game all 48 minutes.

Kyler was not the starter, that game. Can't remember if he played or not. Allen played 2 QBs, for a while. But, after an OT loss, they went with Kyler, as the only QB. And that was the start to his run of 43 straight wins.

So, can't say Kenny Hill impressed me all that much. Or maybe Allen really was that good. Or both.

In any case, that is what we get to look forward to. Not necessarily in a positive sense. He will probably have to add a bit of bulk, but that will probably come as a natural part of playing at an SEC university.

There you have it. Now we can kvetch on how much we couldn't stand Johnny Hancock, and how glad we are to never see his arrogant butt on the field ever again.

Instead of worrying about...........well, some of the stuff in some other threads.

RTR!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I poked around, on his dad's site, and saw another familiar name: Cedar Hill's QB. IOW, the other 6A champion.

"Other 6A champion? You mean there is more than one?"

Yes. All 6 classes have 2 divisions. In a state as large as Texas, cough, cough, it makes sense to have more champions. So, there are 2 divisions in each classification.

Anyway, Justin McMillian, Cedar Hill's QB, is heading to Corndog U. So, we may see him, as well. (Cedar Hill won for the second consecutive time, over Katy. Katy beat them, the year before. I'm sure all you folks in the Houston area are sick of all the DFW teams. Usually the same ones.)

Didn't watch much of that game. Not sure it matters what his pedigree is. Corndog U isn't exactly the QB College of the South.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Congrats. Our Katy Tigers fell short again. Great game though.
Yeah, and it came down to a FG, set up by a sophomore QB, that made a big run, with OT looming. Sometimes, it just isn't your day. Cedar Hill did come out fired up, for the Q3. Got them back in the game.

Look at the bright side: You are not in the same division with "Suck Lake Carroll" or "Useless Trinity".

We don't like them, either!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Congrats. Our Katy Tigers fell short again. Great game though.
I watched 2 of the 3 games yesterday on Fox Southwest.

The Katy Tigers had a 13 - 2 lead at the half. That's the 2nd consecutive game that Cedar Hill has come back from an 11 point deficit against the Tigers. To lose 23 - 20 in the final seconds with a field goal was hard. Katy played well enough to win. That #26 is a stud RB that we will see at Oklahoma. I guess you can say that the clock just ran out on the Tigers. They did come a long way from that 1st game defeat to The Woodlands H. S. Highlanders.

I watched the Allen Eagles vs the Cypress Ranch team just to see if Allen was as good as everyone has said and to see if that 800+ member band showed up. How many students are involved in the high school football program at Allen? If we are looking at an enrollment of 5,000 or 6,000+, it must be 500 to 600+. Do they have multiple JV, Sophomore, and Freshman teams?

I don't know if you answered it in the other thread but when will the Allen Eagles be able to play in its HOME stadium again? Having to play all its games AWAY made it tougher on them winning state this year, but they didn't seem to have too much trouble with Cy Ranch winning 47 to 16. Cy Ranch did have one very good running back.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yeah, and it came down to a FG, set up by a sophomore QB, that made a big run, with OT looming. Sometimes, it just isn't your day. Cedar Hill did come out fired up, for the Q3. Got them back in the game.

Look at the bright side: You are not in the same division with "Suck Lake Carroll" or "Useless Trinity".

We don't like them, either!
My kids go to Cinco Ranch, Katy's big district rival. Well, not rival, we're Katy's B. Still had to pull for the Tigers, since we're good friends with the strong safety's family. I keep hoping he'll ditch Texas Tech and look at Bama.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I watched the Allen Eagles vs the Cypress Ranch team just to see if Allen was as good as everyone has said and to see if that 800+ member band showed up. How many students are involved in the high school football program at Allen? If we are looking at an enrollment of 5,000 or 6,000+,
Something like that.

Do they have multiple JV, Sophomore, and Freshman teams?
Not sure how that works. I do know the Middle School that Mrs. Cuda teaches at does that. She is the yearbook adviser, and photographs a lot of athletic events. They have A, B, and C teams. The games are not as long, as HS, or they would be there, all night. C plays first. They are the kids that will never play once they hit HS. They are the most fun to watch, as they are as bad as most of us would have been.

If we were even able to play FB, that is.

Even sports, like Girl's BB and volleyball, have 3 teams.

I don't know if you answered it in the other thread but when will the Allen Eagles be able to play in its HOME stadium again? Having to play all its games AWAY made it tougher on them winning state this year, but they didn't seem to have too much trouble with Cy Ranch winning 47 to 16. Cy Ranch did have one very good running back.
They are not saying. They just say it will not cost us anything. Maybe by this summer, they will know.

Of course, when you drag out a 800 member band, it demoralizes some lesser opponents.

As one guy said, before the game, "Allen's band is large enough to be a 3A school, all by themselves."

Looked like they figured out the running schemes CY-Ranch was using, and their stud RB didn't run wild, in the 2nd half.

I'm sure those kids feel crushed, especially with all the TOs. Allen has a way of pouring in on, the 2nd half. CY-Ranch probably could have made more of a game of it, but they really didn't stand a chance. Allen has come back from sizable deficits, and almost made it look easy, at the end.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
My kids go to Cinco Ranch, Katy's big district rival. Well, not rival, we're Katy's B. Still had to pull for the Tigers, since we're good friends with the strong safety's family. I keep hoping he'll ditch Texas Tech and look at Bama.
I remember you mentioning your kids go to Cinco Ranch.

Can they afford out-of-state tuition?

If not, hope he likes dust. The few folks I know that went there didn't know how much they did not like dust, until they spent 4 years there.

Mrs. Cuda's dad lives in "Useless Trinity" territory. I have gone to a few Allen-Trinity games, with him. He can tell you what church most of the kids go to, and what fine families they come from.

We planned on going to the last one, but I was sick. Well, perhaps I should say much sicker than my usual sick, so we had to cancel out. Too bad..........the weather was nice, and the outcome was better.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
I watched 2 of the 3 games yesterday on Fox Southwest.

The Katy Tigers had a 13 - 2 lead at the half. That's the 2nd consecutive game that Cedar Hill has come back from an 11 point deficit against the Tigers. To lose 23 - 20 in the final seconds with a field goal was hard. Katy played well enough to win. That #26 is a stud RB that we will see at Oklahoma. I guess you can say that the clock just ran out on the Tigers. They did come a long way from that 1st game defeat to The Woodlands H. S. Highlanders.

I watched the Allen Eagles vs the Cypress Ranch team just to see if Allen was as good as everyone has said and to see if that 800+ member band showed up. How many students are involved in the high school football program at Allen? If we are looking at an enrollment of 5,000 or 6,000+, it must be 500 to 600+. Do they have multiple JV, Sophomore, and Freshman teams?

I don't know if you answered it in the other thread but when will the Allen Eagles be able to play in its HOME stadium again
? Having to play all its games AWAY made it tougher on them winning state this year, but they didn't seem to have too much trouble with Cy Ranch winning 47 to 16. Cy Ranch did have one very good running back.
They do not make a distinction between JV and sophomore. Unless it has changed in the past two years there are 2 JV teams and 3 Freshmen teams. Just found this (Tom Westerberg is the HC at Allen):

"Westerberg is responsible for more than making sure Allen plays its best on Friday nights. He’s essentially the CEO of the Allen football program, which is a massive operation in itself:
  • A 95-player varsity team and two junior varsity teams each with about 100 players
  • Three freshmen teams totaling about 225 kids

It came from this article at the start of the 2014 season

And the enrollment this year is 4224 for the high school itself, which is just 10-12. The 9th grade is held at the Freshmen Center down the street (it is housed in the old Allen High school) and it has an enrollment of 1,565. So the total enrollment for the high school is 5,789. and I should say that 9th graders can take electives at the high school, there are shuttles that run between the two all day.

Kyler Murray has some reason for concern if he gets to play QB at A&M. I've been watching him for three years now and he does a lot of things similar to Johnny Foosball, but without the off (and on) field drama. The only on field item similar to Johnny that is a negative is his tendency to hold the ball out in one hand, untucked, as he weaves his way through defenders. And like Johnny he often seems to be gliding along at half speed, meaning he does not look like he is running fast, but no one else seems to be able to catch him.

To my knowledge the stadium repairs should be finished by this summer. I believe they were planning on holding graduation there in late May.

And thanks Cuda, I was going to post something like this last night, but I was too tired. We stayed through the trophy presentation, then the long walk to the car, then we pulled off for a very late or early dinner and did not get home until after 2AM.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I remember you mentioning your kids go to Cinco Ranch.

Can they afford out-of-state tuition?

If not, hope he likes dust. The few folks I know that went there didn't know how much they did not like dust, until they spent 4 years there.

Mrs. Cuda's dad lives in "Useless Trinity" territory. I have gone to a few Allen-Trinity games, with him. He can tell you what church most of the kids go to, and what fine families they come from.

We planned on going to the last one, but I was sick. Well, perhaps I should say much sicker than my usual sick, so we had to cancel out. Too bad..........the weather was nice, and the outcome was better.
Oh yeah, they can. His parents are Aggies so I'm sure they are hoping he has a change of heart between his jr and sr years so he's closer to home. His brother is at Tech already though and he and his brother are close, so....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think California also has more than one champion for each classification due to its size.

How can they have more than one JV or freshman team? Do they have separate rosters or do some people play on both teams? Do they ever play each other?

I think I went to a high school wrestling tournament at Allen a couple summers ago. It was a really huge school somewhere north (I think) of Dallas. We stayed at a hotel near the NASCAR track.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yes, due north of Dallas proper, on US75. Immediately north of Plano, which supposedly has the highest median income of any suburb in the US. And a snotty attitude to go with it.

Plano has 4 HS, and complains we have an unfair advantage, since we only have one. The fact the small town to our east now has its own school district (complete with snotty parents with attitude issues) which now takes some of Allen's potential students...............no, that doesn't matter.

Supposedly, when we lose a playoff game, our snotty parents with attitude problems complain that if all of our good players went to school in Allen, instead of that tiny district to the east, then we would have won. Isn't fair they get some of our best players!

(Can you tell we live on the "poor" side of town? And Mrs. Cuda teaches in the "rich" part of town?)

I'm sure the rosters are different for each team. That is the way it is, down in the middle schools. I see no reason why it would change at HS level. If they had the same kids, on each team, that would defeat the purpose of only having one HS.

From what I have heard........since we moved into the district 6 years ago.........

They want only 1 HS, so they do not have all the crosstown rivalry crap going on, at the HS level. And they want the kids to be involved in sports and other activities, so they have less idle time on their hands. Allen has tons of stuff to keep the kids busy.

Which is why they have 800 kids in the band. Mrs. Cuda's SIL is the band director, at a school down in the stinky part of the state. (Oil refineries and chemical plants: yes, they stink.) He said Allen brings 12 bands, to the UIL competition. His school brings 4. Most schools bring at least 3. We bring 12. So, yes, we bring home the hardware, just by sheer numbers.

UIL is expanding the range of competitions. One will be robotics. Allen will win that.

Not the HS....................the middle school Mrs. teaches at. They clean up, as it is now, against everyone, including the HS from the other districts. (Includes Allen, which obviously has a lot of their team made up of kids who came from her middle school.) (Their outside adviser is some engineer from TI. So I have been told.)

Wrestling...............yes, they win State in that, and do well nationally. So, yes you were there and have some idea what it is like. Surprised that you stayed over by TMS. That is a long drive. It should be easier once they get all the 121/114 HWY construction done. Right now, there is a stretch of road, a few miles long, just to the west of the airport, where those 2 roads share the same route. It is always a mess. Mrs. Cuda's 2 sons live out by TMS, and there are days when it has taken 2 hours to get there.

Granted, she did that on a Friday, right after rush hour.

Over in the FB forum, I made some comments is response to "Wylie". It is the thread about imploding part of Kyle Field. He isn't sold on Murray. If he doesn't grow a few inches, so he can see over the lineman, he may struggle.

He may also struggle when he finds the SEC is full of kids that are both strong and fast. I think he will play. Not year, though. He may need some help from Mother Nature. He may still have some vertical growing left in him. If not, that will be what hurts him the most.

I guess the most obvious difference between him and Johnny Hancock is Murray looks like he is smart enough to know that getting hit isn't in his best interest. The SL is his best friend.

Maybe once Johnny Hancock gets drilled a few more times, he might begin to get the message. Whether he is that smart, and can control his ego enough, is another subject. At least he is no longer our problem.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
I think California also has more than one champion for each classification due to its size.

How can they have more than one JV or freshman team? Do they have separate rosters or do some people play on both teams? Do they ever play each other?

I think I went to a high school wrestling tournament at Allen a couple summers ago. It was a really huge school somewhere north (I think) of Dallas. We stayed at a hotel near the NASCAR track.
Allen is north of Dallas, but on the east side of the metroplex. The track is on the west side of the metroplex and is north of Fort Worth.

There are a lot of high schools around here with multiple JV and freshmen teams. I do know that when they play a school that only has one JV team, one Allen JV team will play that school, and the other team will play another school. And yes, it does get confusing sometimes. But is some cases there is another reason for that. Plano, the town just to the south of Allen is in the same conference. Plano uses a High School that is 9-10 and Senior High's that are 11-12. And there are six high schools that feed into the 3 Senior Highs. Naturally the high schools field JV and freshmen teams and the Senior high fields the varsity team. So sometimes there are multiple schools to play on a given week.

Texas does 2 divisions for 1A through 6A with a champion each. Then there are 3 divisions of private and parochial school champions and 3 divisions of 6-man champions.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Allen is north of Dallas, but on the east side of the metroplex. The track is on the west side of the metroplex and is north of Fort Worth.

There are a lot of high schools around here with multiple JV and freshmen teams. I do know that when they play a school that only has one JV team, one Allen JV team will play that school, and the other team will play another school. And yes, it does get confusing sometimes. But is some cases there is another reason for that. Plano, the town just to the south of Allen is in the same conference. Plano uses a High School that is 9-10 and Senior High's that are 11-12. And there are six high schools that feed into the 3 Senior Highs. Naturally the high schools field JV and freshmen teams and the Senior high fields the varsity team. So sometimes there are multiple schools to play on a given week.

Texas does 2 divisions for 1A through 6A with a champion each. Then there are 3 divisions of private and parochial school champions and 3 divisions of 6-man champions.
Cinco Ranch, like most Katy schools has:

2 freshman teams, 1 sophomore, 1 JV & 1 varsity.

It's not unusual for the junior highs to have 4 teams for each of 7th & 8th grade.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.