Crowd for the Sugar Bowl

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
I was at both games.

2011 BCSNCG in NOLA was more like a 60-40 split for LSU-Bama, which was not entirely unexpected all things considered. But when Trent scored it was quickly 100% Bama!!!

But the 2012 BCSNCG in Miami was not nearly 70% ND fans. ND fan base showed up, but it was probably much closer to 50-50.

EDIT: Buckeye, I thought you were referring to Bama-LSU in 2011. If you were not, my bad!
No sir, I was referring to Ohio State-LSU in 2008 at the Sugar Bowl...which, on second thought, was probably also closer to 60-40. Either way, tough to compare against LSU when you're playing in Louisiana

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
As far as Bama's potential attendance in the Sugar Bowl...

Bama fans know their way around when going to big bowl games, especially in New Orleans. I consider that a slight advantage, also New Orleans being closer to us is another leg up.

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
Me and my 2 sons are trying to go but our problem is finding a hotel, not tickets. Anyone have any suggestions?
Tell me about it. That was by far the toughest part. Hotels close to the stadium are going for $400 and up a night, on the low end. We were able to find a room at Quarterhouse in the French Quarter, but had to call about 50 places first. Best bet is probably to stay further out and cab or bus into the city.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
We booked our place to stay (St. Charles Guest House) back in October, as we were planning a NOLA trip for New Year's no matter how things played out. Once both Oregon and us jumped FSU, we knew we had a great chance of making an EXTREMELY good early call. Though had things not worked out, we would have adopted a team for the Sugar Bowl I guess.

We haven't bought our tickets yet, but have had no problems finding them. Since we are in NOLA no matter what we have the nice ability to wait until as close to the game as we want to and get tickets at a good price. Even if we don't find what we want, we can watch it from Bourbon Street.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We booked our place to stay (St. Charles Guest House) back in October, as we were planning a NOLA trip for New Year's no matter how things played out. Once both Oregon and us jumped FSU, we knew we had a great chance of making an EXTREMELY good early call. Though had things not worked out, we would have adopted a team for the Sugar Bowl I guess.

We haven't bought our tickets yet, but have had no problems finding them. Since we are in NOLA no matter what we have the nice ability to wait until as close to the game as we want to and get tickets at a good price. Even if we don't find what we want, we can watch it from Bourbon Street.
Just be careful about counterfeits. Met two different groupsin 2011 that got jobbed. Ironically, I bumped into an old friend and they bought two tickets at $850 each and when they got to the gate they were told the tickets were fake.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I think Bama will outnumber the Ohio fans 70-30. Most Bama fans can do NOLA, but Dallas will be a stretch for the average Bama fan. Tickets to the Jerry World game will be much more expensive and the flights are $$$, as well. Driving to NOLA and spending $200 per ticket is doable for most.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm reminded of a while back...Bama was set to play Oklahoma at their place. Bama was in a down period, and was trying to fight it's way back to being relevant again.

The Oklahoma fans thought they had hosted big games with teams who's fans traveled well. After all, Nebraska, when they played in Norman, had a fleet of 40 motorhomes of fans that arrived before the game. I will never forget the Oklahoma fans amazement (expressed live online), the Thursday before the game, when the Bama motorhomes started arriving. By game time, they numbered over 400. And this was when Bama was down. :D

We travel well, better than anyone.
That's a fact Jack! I was there. I think there were special arrangements made near their basketball facility for many of these RV's.

I was also in Pasadena in September 2000 when Bama had no less that 30,000 fans in the Rose Bowl Stadium vs UCLA. There were many, many, many RV's from Bama at that stadium.

I saw Kenny Stabler walk into the stadium that day and I thought that I had seen the 2nd coming of Mark Twain with that WHITE hair.

If Alabama were playing for the world championship in Shanghai, a third to a half of the stadium would be filled with
Alabama fans. However, those RV's would have to stop in California unless they are going to ship them to China.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think Bama will outnumber the Ohio fans 70-30. Most Bama fans can do NOLA, but Dallas will be a stretch for the average Bama fan. Tickets to the Jerry World game will be much more expensive and the flights are $$$, as well. Driving to NOLA and spending $200 per ticket is doable for most.
Someone send me a ticket and I will represent Bama in Dallas. Just a few hours drive from Houston.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
It was reported here by those at the game that the 2012 BCSCG in Miami was about 70% Notre Dame.

I think how energized the fanbase is plays into it a lot. Notre Dame was just coming out of a long dry spell and this was the 3rd national title game in 4 years for Alabama.

Ohio State hasn't played in a game of this magnitude since 2008, so I expect them to travel very well and they do have a lot more alumni than Alabama. I think only Penn State has more.

I was at the BCS NCG in Miami and wouldn't argue if someone told me it was 60/40 Notre Dame but no way was it 70/30.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
What were the percentages by the time Rammer Jammer started?
I was there and honestly that was the only thing that disappointed me about the ND game. The numbers by half time were dropping RAPIDLY. I have more pics of their once full sections below the scoreboard than nearly anything else

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
I'm guessing Sugar Bowl crowd may tip slightly toward Bama due to geography. But it won't surprise me if locals in New Orleans (i.e., our friends at LSU) are vocally supporting Ohio State!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The Buckeye board has a similar thread, some think they will outnumber Bama fans. They may, but not for the reasons they think. There may be a few LSU fans at the game, cheereing for Ohio State, but this ain't the Independence bowl, Tickets are expensive so there will not be that many Tiger fans. I listed this in another thread earlier this year. It has been very expensive of late to be a Bama fan. With a neutral site game every year to begin the season , SECCGs , BCSCGs and now Playoffs. Over the last 6-7 years, Bama fans have pretty much exhausted their 'Big Game' budgets. Whereas the Buckeyes are just starting out on their 'run'. . Wait until they have been winning big games at this level for 6 or 7 years and see if their fanbase travels as well. If this was 2009, I bet Bama would have 70% of the crowd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.