Crowd for the Sugar Bowl

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Something tells me it will be 55/45 split in OSU's favor or dead even split. I think most bama fans are banking on us reaching arlington and the pocketbooks for OSU are opening up since they arent banking as hard. I bought my the second we beat Mizzou to assure me an affordable seat.

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
It has been very expensive of late to be a Bama fan. With a neutral site game every year to begin the season , SECCGs , BCSCGs and now Playoffs. Over the last 6-7 years, Bama fans have pretty much exhausted their 'Big Game' budgets. Whereas the Buckeyes are just starting out on their 'run'. . Wait until they have been winning big games at this level for 6 or 7 years and see if their fanbase travels as well. If this was 2009, I bet Bama would have 70% of the crowd.
This is not a problem exclusive to Bama fans. Ohio State has been shelling out for BCS games for a while now as well. Doesn't really make a difference if it was the title game or not...hotel and airfare ain't cheap.

2002- Fiesta Bowl/BCS Title Game
2003- Fiesta Bowl
2005- Fiesta Bowl
2006- Fiesta Bowl/BCS Title Game
2007- Sugar Bowl/BCS Title Game
2008- Fiesta Bowl
2009- Rose Bowl
2010- Sugar Bowl
2013- Big Ten Championship & Orange Bowl
2014- Big Ten Championship & Sugar Bowl

I do understand your point though. Bama has won 3 national titles recently whereas OSU hasn't won since 2002. The motivation in the fan base is likely increased due to that...but it's not a huge difference. I saw no fan fatigue in 05, 06, and 08 even though OSU was getting sent to the Fiesta Bowl seemingly every year.

I think the biggest difference maker in favor of OSU may be that Bama fans will be looking forward to the national championship in Dallas. OSU fans are not confident enough in this one to do any such thing.

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
I'm guessing Sugar Bowl crowd may tip slightly toward Bama due to geography. But it won't surprise me if locals in New Orleans (i.e., our friends at LSU) are vocally supporting Ohio State!
Would LSU fans really cheer for Ohio State?

I know they hate Bama but I can't imagine them rooting for a Big Ten team (especially us) against the SEC...BUT I don't know them like you do

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Would LSU fans really cheer for Ohio State?

I know they hate Bama but I can't imagine them rooting for a Big Ten team (especially us) against the SEC...BUT I don't know them like you do
Since we beat them in the "re-match" BCS Championship game to win the 2011 national title, their hatred of Alabama exceeds all limits of rationality. They refer to that loss catastrophically as "1/9/12". This on top of their continued whining that we "stole their coach" (ignoring that we hired him away from the Dolphins, not LSU), makes me pretty confident that most of them would love to see us lose that game, regardless of the opponent.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Since we beat them in the "re-match" BCS Championship game to win the 2011 national title, their hatred of Alabama exceeds all limits of rationality. They refer to that loss catastrophically as "1/9/12". This on top of their continued whining that we "stole their coach" (ignoring that we hired him away from the Dolphins, not LSU), makes me pretty confident that most of them would love to see us lose that game, regardless of the opponent.
from their boards I think most would want to see us fall, but there is a good number to see us win

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
LSU fans showed up to the sugar Bowl in 2008 and cheered Utah, so yes they would show up and support tOSU.

I just bit the bullet and bought tickets off stub hub, because they were cheaper on there than the secondary market (prices have tanked because tickets aren't moving quickly on the secondary market).

mariettatider

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 18, 2009
I was at the last Sugar Bowl between Bama and OSU, and I don't remember the crowd being skewed one way. There was a lot of both teams fans.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I think it is undisputed that Bama fans follow our team better than any other college fan base.
I'm certain Bama travels well, but Buckeye Nation takes a backseat to nobody.....check out this pic from our game against Cal last year....in California. Yes, it was only Cal you say, but yes it was Cal, 3000 miles from Columbus. Looked, sounded and felt like a home game......given that the Sugar Bowl is in the heart of SEC country, I expect given proximity for Bama to maybe have an edge in attendance, but it won't be a big one.....Buckeye Nation will represent well and it should be a great atmosphere. Good luck to your kids.....gonna be a great one

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'm certain Bama travels well, but Buckeye Nation takes a backseat to nobody.....check out this pic from our game against Cal last year....in California. Yes, it was only Cal you say, but yes it was Cal, 3000 miles from Columbus. Looked, sounded and felt like a home game......given that the Sugar Bowl is in the heart of SEC country, I expect given proximity for Bama to maybe have an edge in attendance, but it won't be a big one.....Buckeye Nation will represent well and it should be a great atmosphere. Good luck to your kids.....gonna be a great one

I have no doubt that the Buckeye fans will show up in force but this stadium of Californias must hold a max of 30,000. Just saying.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Crowd will be easily 70% Bama in NOLA. Bama fans just know how to get the tickets.
I don't think it will be 70%. I think it will be closer to 60% (possibly as low as 55). tOSU fans travel as well as ANY fan base out there. The ONLY advantage is proximity. Plus, there are those Alabama fans who ASSUME we are going to win and thus are waiting to go to Dallas. tOSU fans know they need to be out in support for the game, so I think it will affect numbers.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Crowd will be easily 70% Bama in NOLA. Bama fans just know how to get the tickets.
Not a chance.......it wasn't 30/70 when we played LSU in the 2007 BCS NC in New Orleans and that was after we had gone back to back.....given your decided proximity advantage, I would expect a greater Bama representation, but more like 40/60 or 45/55. Be just the opposite situation as if say the game was played in Chicago or Indy.

Re: Cal game pic.....the Superdome is not much bigger than Cal stadium and it's a helluva lot closer

It's gonna be a great atmosphere.....two storied programs, certain HOF coaches and vast, proud and intensely loyal fan bases. How does it get better than that?

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Not a chance.......it wasn't 30/70 when we played LSU in the 2007 BCS NC in New Orleans and that was after we had gone back to back.....given your decided proximity advantage, I would expect a greater Bama representation, but more like 40/60 or 45/55. Be just the opposite situation as if say the game was played in Chicago or Indy.

Re: Cal game pic.....the Superdome is not much bigger than Cal stadium and it's a helluva lot closer

It's gonna be a great atmosphere.....two storied programs, certain HOF coaches and vast, proud and intensely loyal fan bases. How does it get better than that?
This will sound like a joke but I truly mean it to be a serious question: Have Urban Meyer's doctors cleared him to be at the game? Last time he faced Saban and Bama he had to stay overnight in the hospital from the ordeal and the stress.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

The reality on the fan base split is that no one will ever really know since the entire stadium will be washed in red/crimson. Too hard to tell when all is said and done.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This will sound like a joke but I truly mean it to be a serious question: Have Urban Meyer's doctors cleared him to be at the game? Last time he faced Saban and Bama he had to stay overnight in the hospital from the ordeal and the stress.
No he didn't. Remember, we played them in 2010 when he was the coach.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Of course it's a joke......and of course you meant it to be a joke. If this is how you want to roll, with each side taking shots at the other's coach, that's fine, your guy grew up in our part of the world and we know him quite well. He has plenty of baggage for ammo, just let us know.

As for myself, I'd prefer to discuss the game, teams, crowd, etc but it's your board, you set the example and we'll follow along.....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.