Crowd for the Sugar Bowl

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
With Bama being a relatively easy drive to New Orleans, what type of crowd are you guys expecting for the game? When we played LSU down there it was probably a 65/35 split in their favor...Arkansas was closer to 50/50.

Does the fact that there is still a championship game in Dallas after this have any effect on people going to this one?

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I was afraid the SECCG would have a poor showing of Bama fans because of the potential for two bigger games after it. But I seem to remember they said the crowd in Atlanta was 70% Bama.

My guess is Bama fans will make a strong showing in New Orleans, and if given the chance, will do even better in Dallas.

I think it is undisputed that Bama fans follow our team better than any other college fan base.

VABuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 9, 2014
I was afraid the SECCG would have a poor showing of Bama fans because of the potential for two bigger games after it. But I seem to remember they said the crowd in Atlanta was 70% Bama.

My guess is Bama fans will make a strong showing in New Orleans, and if given the chance, will do even better in Dallas.

I think it is undisputed that Bama fans follow our team better than any other college fan base.
Oh, it's disputed. Buckeyes will be in NOLA in force. Then again when you look at alumni base it isn't a fair comparison. There are simply a whole lot more of us.

I think it was even more than 70%. In NO, for these type of games we will dominate when it comes to the crowd. Only LSU had has more but only because we were in their backyard, and it was close then!

Oh yeah, UGA had more during the 2012 SECCG, but again in their back yard and it was still close. It will be decidedly Bama in NO and Dallas no matter who the opponent.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm reminded of a while back...Bama was set to play Oklahoma at their place. Bama was in a down period, and was trying to fight it's way back to being relevant again.

The Oklahoma fans thought they had hosted big games with teams who's fans traveled well. After all, Nebraska, when they played in Norman, had a fleet of 40 motorhomes of fans that arrived before the game. I will never forget the Oklahoma fans amazement (expressed live online), the Thursday before the game, when the Bama motorhomes started arriving. By game time, they numbered over 400. And this was when Bama was down. :D

We travel well, better than anyone.

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
I'm reminded of a while back...Bama was set to play Oklahoma at their place. Bama was in a down period, and was trying to fight it's way back to being relevant again.

The Oklahoma fans thought they had hosted big games with teams who's fans traveled well. After all, Nebraska, when they played in Norman, had a fleet of 40 motorhomes of fans that arrived before the game. I will never forget the Oklahoma fans amazement (expressed live online), the Thursday before the game, when the Bama motorhomes started arriving. By game time, they numbered over 400. And this was when Bama was down. :D

We travel well, better than anyone.
Yes, it was the same with Penn State a few years ago. We turned their white out pink with the crimson in that stadium. They couldn't believe the number of Alabama fans at the stadium.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
It was reported here by those at the game that the 2012 BCSCG in Miami was about 70% Notre Dame.

I think how energized the fanbase is plays into it a lot. Notre Dame was just coming out of a long dry spell and this was the 3rd national title game in 4 years for Alabama.

Ohio State hasn't played in a game of this magnitude since 2008, so I expect them to travel very well and they do have a lot more alumni than Alabama. I think only Penn State has more.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
With Bama being a relatively easy drive to New Orleans, what type of crowd are you guys expecting for the game? When we played LSU down there it was probably a 70/30 split in their favor...Arkansas was closer to 50/50.

Does the fact that there is still a championship game in Dallas after this have any effect on people going to this one?
It was reported here by those at the game that the 2012 BCSCG in Miami was about 70% Notre Dame.

I think how energized the fanbase is plays into it a lot. Notre Dame was just coming out of a long dry spell. Ohio State hasn't played in a game of this magnitude since 2008, so I expect them to travel very well.
I was at both games.

2011 BCSNCG in NOLA was more like a 60-40 split for LSU-Bama, which was not entirely unexpected all things considered. But when Trent scored it was quickly 100% Bama!!!

But the 2012 BCSNCG in Miami was not nearly 70% ND fans. ND fan base showed up, but it was probably much closer to 50-50.

EDIT: Buckeye, I thought you were referring to Bama-LSU in 2011. If you were not, my bad!

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It was reported here that the 2012 BCSCG in Miami was about 70% Notre Dame.

I think how energized the fanbase is plays into it a lot. Notre Dame was just coming out of a long dry spell. Ohio State hasn't played in a game of this magnitude since 2008, so I expect them to travel very well.
I understand your point and agree. Hungry fan bases travel well when they get the chance.

I'm very surprised to read the Notre Dame put 70% of the people in the stadium, with Bama limping in with 30% when we played for the title. I'm not convinced that's accurate, but who knows?

We've got an Ohio State fan here explaining that there are "more of us." They are certainly hungry to be in a big game. So we shall see for ourselves...if Bama doesn't fill at least 60% of the seats in New Orleans I will be greatly surprised.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My understanding is that the game is sold out, so the crowd will pretty much be determined by a bidding war. Which fan base is willing to pay the most for the tickets?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand your point and agree. Hungry fan bases travel well when they get the chance.

I'm very surprised to read the Notre Dame put 70% of the people in the stadium, with Bama limping in with 30% when we played for the title. I'm not convinced that's accurate, but who knows?

We've got an Ohio State fan here explaining that there are "more of us." They are certainly hungry to be in a big game. So we shall see for ourselves...if Bama doesn't fill at least 60% of the seats in New Orleans I will be greatly surprised.
As noted above, it was not 70% ND...not anywhere close.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also worth noting... Lsu fans were in total shock in the 2008 bcsncg in New Orleans when they played the buckeyes at how many people came. Most lsu fans claim that 08 felt like a neutral site game and 12 felt like a home game. I know lsu fans tend to exaggerate but all of the level headed ones I know have echoed this claim

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
My understanding is that the game is sold out, so the crowd will pretty much be determined by a bidding war. Which fan base is willing to pay the most for the tickets?
I wouldn't call it a bidding war. Most everyone who is searching for tickets can find them easily, as the market is very much OVER saturated atm. A lot of tickets are dropping to near face value, because there are just so many out there. While it is "sold out" it is not a hard ticket to come by, and i think that plays in to the fact there is still a NCG on the horizon for one of the teams.

As far as split goes, I am going to assume it's 60/40 Bama. The SECCG was 80/20 Bama in all honesty (I stopped just short of counting to come to that assessment lol).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Me and my 2 sons are trying to go but our problem is finding a hotel, not tickets. Anyone have any suggestions?
Stay in biloxi and get sugar bowl bus tickets which are 55$ for a round trip that gets u there 3 hrs before kickoff and leaves 1hr after the game. They leave from biloxi and Gulfport

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

there were quite a few empty seats in atlanta, but the crowd was heavily bama (i was thinking 75-80% bama, but that was just a guestimate)

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Me and my 2 sons are trying to go but our problem is finding a hotel, not tickets. Anyone have any suggestions?

Don't know what the split will be, but I'm bringing 9 people in my group. We're staying in Hattiesburg. Yes, I know it's an 1 3/4 hour drive, but it's much cheaper and makes a lot more sense. Besides, after the game, none of us will be able to sleep regardless.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I was just going by the thread below where fellow TideFans posters were reporting that ND had between 60%+ of the (initial :D )crowd.

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188908&page=3

I was really surprised that Notre Dame was able to pull in that kind of crowd - I know they have a national fanbase, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the long dry spell they went through.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.