John Chavis gets Paid

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm soooo glad Kirby Smart hasn't been playing other schools against us in a public way to get a raise. I'm even more impressed he seems happy coaching at Bama, and has responded to the success he's enjoyed at Bama with loyalty to the Bama program.

They ought to make a new award for him...and call it the "I love the school where I coach" award in honor of Coach Bryant and how he felt about the University.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I saw this blurb about Chavis in the linked article...

Chavis, who came to LSU in 2009 after being fired by Tennessee, was making $1.3 million annually.
My first thought was to wonder which Tennessee coach fired Chavis...then I remembered it was Kiffin, who brought in Monte to replace him.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm soooo glad Kirby Smart hasn't been playing other schools against us in a public way to get a raise. I'm even more impressed he seems happy coaching at Bama, and has responded to the success he's enjoyed at Bama with loyalty to the Bama program.

They ought to make a new award for him...and call it the "I love the school where I coach" award in honor of Coach Bryant and how he felt about the University.
Really? How do you think he became one of the first assistants to make over a million per year?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I saw this blurb about Chavis in the linked article...

My first thought was to wonder which Tennessee coach fired Chavis...then I remembered it was Kiffin, who brought in Monte to replace him.
Technically, he was fired by UT when Fulmer was fired. Kiffin just didn't hire him back.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, Chavis has really done well at LSU - it's easy to forget the term '3rd and Chavis' came about due to his defenses' abysmal performance on third and long while at UT. Something changed for him at LSU (beyond the superior athletes) - he's been consistently better there.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
By doing his job well, and keeping any negotiations between the school and his agent private.
He and his agent do what all successful coaches do. When you win, you either use that to move up the ladder at another location or interview for other jobs to get a raise where you are. That's just the name of the game, but he has been linked to interviews with UGA, UT, the Philly Eagles, just to name a few. He and Coach Saban both do great jobs, and both are very well paid, but let's not get carried away and act like they are saints. They both seem to be good men, and I am proud to have them represent my university, but there are some who seem to raise their admiration to the level of idolatry, and that concerns me. Roll Tide to all during this Christmas season.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
They both seem to be good men, and I am proud to have them represent my university, but there are some who seem to raise their admiration to the level of idolatry, and that concerns me. Roll Tide to all during this Christmas season.
Don't worry on my behalf, I don't suffer from that problem.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
CKS has his priorities straight imo. He is still relatively young. He has young kids who have been able to plant roots in a school and develop a true sense of home and he is among the best paid at his craft. I can't see anything wrong with what he is doing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.