Big 12 would look "East not West" for expansion

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Cincy and Notre Dame would be their best two, but Notre Dame and Texas couldnt coexist together. So Cincy and BYU would probably be the best realistic choice.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
BYU and Cincinnati/UCF. Split up Oklahoma and Texas (they can maintain their October game in the regular season). East Division: Texas, West Virginia, Baylor, Cincinnati/UCF, Kansas, Kansas State. West Division: BYU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Iowa State.

There you go. Nine times out of Ten, that is if Texas and Oklahoma get their act together, you will have a Big 12 Championship featuring the Longhorns and Sooners.

Whatever happens though, the waiver to allow a conference championship with less than 12 teams in the conference should be denied.
Yeah then it will be just like OU and NU during the early/mid/late 20th century. Big two little 10.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think Cincy and BYU would be good adds. BYU brings in a new market for the league and lets them horn in on Pac-12 territory. BYU is usually above average on the field, have a decent brand name and have TV viewers all over the country through the LDS Church.

Cincy is by no means a traditional power, butt hey have gotten better in recent years. They bring Tubby to the table, a big market town and get into Big Ten territory and links West Virginia to the rest of the league.

Notre Dame isn't happening.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
O.K., I don't understand this. Cincy has much greater population than Iowa. Cincy could beat Iowa State at least 8 of ten years. Ditto UCF. I'll throw in Memphis too. All greater population than Iowa and all could beat Iowa State and Kansas year to year. So, where is the water down at? Iowa State vs Cincy would surely be the equal of Iowa State vs Kansas.
If adding Cincinnati, UCF, or Memphis would actually deliver sizable TV ratings for those populations & markets, I'm sure they add them. For football, Cincinnati is primarily an Ohio State Market, Orlando is a Florida/Florida State market, and Memphis is an SEC market (Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc.) much same way Birmingham is for us as opposed to UAB. Those are primarily commuter schools and most people that care about those teams can locally attend games with tickets that are almost given away and they still struggle to draw up to 40,000.

They simply don't deliver enough television eyeballs to justify enough of TV revenue increase to keep the existing league schools from losing money by taking them.

Now, Cincinnati and Memphis do carry strong basketball chops and have some national appeal/interest for hoops (heck, Memphis often draws more fans at the their basketball games than their football games), but we all know that football drives the money.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
Add BYU because they can beat down anyone after a game. People would watch them to see the fights. It would be like the reason people watch hockey. Not because of the game but because of the fights.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What if they targeted UK and Vandy....?

UK would get a hoops rival immediately with Kansas.....

Vandy could have a punchers chance in the Big 12 on the gridiron

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think Cincy and BYU would be good adds. BYU brings in a new market for the league and lets them horn in on Pac-12 territory. BYU is usually above average on the field, have a decent brand name and have TV viewers all over the country through the LDS Church.

Cincy is by no means a traditional power, butt hey have gotten better in recent years. They bring Tubby to the table, a big market town and get into Big Ten territory and links West Virginia to the rest of the league.

Notre Dame isn't happening.
Ah, but the LDS nationwide fan base is a problem for Texas. BYU has their own cable/satellite network and Texas is not going to allow competition for its Longhorn network. At least, that is the rumor in Texas.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ah, but the LDS nationwide fan base is a problem for Texas. BYU has their own cable/satellite network and Texas is not going to allow competition for its Longhorn network. At least, that is the rumor in Texas.
I was thinking the Big 12 told its schools that any one of them could create their own network. Seems like Oklahoma was going to do just that.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
What if they targeted UK and Vandy....?

UK would get a hoops rival immediately with Kansas.....

Vandy could have a punchers chance in the Big 12 on the gridiron
That is what I would like to see and it does give programs a chance rather than being steam rolled. I would like to see a separate conference in football for: This is based on historical performance.
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Duke
Wake Forest
Rice
Northwestern
Army
Navy
SMU
Tulane
Indiana
Purdue

This would give any of these teams a chance to win and make it to a lesser tier bowl game every year rather than being sacrificed and spending the bowl season at home.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Cincy and Notre Dame would be their best two, but Notre Dame and Texas couldnt coexist together. So Cincy and BYU would probably be the best realistic choice.
Notre Dame is actually already in a conference except for football. All their sports is ACC.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Not many programs want to be a satellite of U Texas. Oklahoma makes do with it because they get the scraps and have no other options due to the legislature not allowing them to leave without Oklahoma State, but very few major programs want to be subjugated to UT.

The current Big12 is in place to serve the interests of UT - nothing more.
In what way did UT screw over the other members of the Big 12? I do not doubt you at all, and I hear this all the time, but what is the "Inside Baseball" on how the Shorthorns get preferential treatment? Does UT get a greater share of the Conference revenue? Is there some other way UT gets more benefits than other Bid 12 members? Just curious.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
In what way did UT screw over the other members of the Big 12? I do not doubt you at all, and I hear this all the time, but what is the "Inside Baseball" on how the Shorthorns get preferential treatment? Does UT get a greater share of the Conference revenue? Is there some other way UT gets more benefits than other Bid 12 members? Just curious.
Heh, the list is almost too long...

But, here's a start. First, remember they turned on their old conference and made it a hostile environment. Arkansas jumped ship, and Texas was all too happy to leave a lot of the others behind when they joined the Big 8. Then, once they joined the Big 8 they immediately made it centered around them, and this included relocating Big 12 headquarters to Texas. Then, Oklahoma lost the annual Nebraska game, but of course kept playing Texas annually.

That wasn't all though, Texas was a big part of their unequal revenue sharing, which basically said if you were on TV, you got a bigger cut. Then, you get Texas wanting to run off to the Pac 10. The plan was for them to take a few programs with them, notably Texas A&M and Oklahoma, but this would have left the conference in ruins obviously. Texas didn't really back off the deal until they realized they'd have to share with the Pac 10 and Texas A&M wasn't subservient like Oklahoma was.

Then you get into their network. By having their own private network, they have prevented a conference network. But, that wasn't all, somehow, which I still don't completely understand, they managed to turn a conference game into a game on their network. That wasn't all they pulled, but just think about that, that would be like Alabama selling, privately, one of the SEC games. The shenanigans were bad enough that Texas A&M rethought their choice to stay and jumped ship.

Finally, you get into how they have shaped the conference. Texas (and in most of these things Oklahoma shares blame for being a tag-along) doesn't like the championship game since they can lose. So, they took deliberate steps to not have 12 teams again. When Nebraska and Colorado got away from them, they stood pat. When Missouri and Texas A&M left, they only added two. It also seems like for some reason, they had something against BYU and they're one reason BYU didn't get added, although that might have simply been fear of a championship game.

I could keep going, but Texas is a horrible, horrible team to share a conference with. I was adamantly against even remotely considering Texas (or their partner in crime, Oklahoma) to the SEC, and when you look at how Missouri and Texas A&M have thrived since leavin them, you can really see how poisonous they are to other teams in their conference.

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.