Big 12 would look "East not West" for expansion

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The most likely solution to the Big 12’s problem is to acquire a waiver from the NCAA to hold a championship game. After all, the Big 12 places a higher value on monetary gain than true competitive balance.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ok-east-not-west-if-league-decides-to-expand/

I hope the other four Power 5 conferences fight this waiver. Talk about a competitive disadvantage that would be to those who have that extra tough game to play. The B12 would have an OFF week, before their title game while the other P5 would not have the bye week.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is obvious that Bowlsby has no clue about what he is doing and whatever he attempts will require texas to sign off on it before he presents it to other conference members. I don't see the benefit in adding Cincinnati, UCF maybe.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
It is obvious that Bowlsby has no clue about what he is doing and whatever he attempts will require texas to sign off on it before he presents it to other conference members. I don't see the benefit in adding Cincinnati, UCF maybe.
I'm pretty sure Bowlsby doesn't clear his throat without input from Texas...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
There are three one-loss teams in playoff. B12 has two one-loss teams left out. There is a reason for that. Some say "co-incidence." Others say "no playoff game." We know someone of the Power 5 will always be left out of a 4 team playoff. I can't help be think a chanmpionship game would be a plus ..... unless the underdog won the championship game. You know, they could let Texas and their little bother Oklahoma play in both the North and South and solve the problem :biggrin: It would be good TV money Texas and Oklahoma playing a North game on Thursday and a South game on Saturday.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
WWS (What we said) vs WWM (What we meant)

WWS: We are a self sufficient conference capable of writing our own bylaws and determining our own champion.
WWM: Eh, we had a vote and decided to let someone unaffiliated with us determine our champion for us.

WWS: Our style of round robin play is superior to divisions and produces one true champion.
WWM: Eh, we're gonna have co-champions.

WWS: We like out 10 team status and expanding would create a financial burden for our members.
WWM: NCAA, please approve our waiver so we can have our cake and eat it, too.

WWS: We have no strategy fo expansion.
WWM: We'll backtrack on that just as soon as our waiver is denied.

There's a huge part of the BigXII problem right now. They better address that before they look to expand.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The main thing I take away from that article is that the Big 12 is incapable of attracting any decent programs.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The main thing I take away from that article is that the Big 12 is incapable of attracting any decent programs.
Not many programs want to be a satellite of U Texas. Oklahoma makes do with it because they get the scraps and have no other options due to the legislature not allowing them to leave without Oklahoma State, but very few major programs want to be subjugated to UT.

The current Big12 is in place to serve the interests of UT - nothing more.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
SMU sure but I think Texas State and Sam Houston State are higher on the waiting list than ULL and ULM. [emoji6]
Umm, first Sammy State would have to get on the waiting list for FBS status...

My intel is that with their new coach C.C (for "Can't Coach") Keeler they may be considering a DIII schedule anyhow.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
BYU and Cincinnati/UCF. Split up Oklahoma and Texas (they can maintain their October game in the regular season). East Division: Texas, West Virginia, Baylor, Cincinnati/UCF, Kansas, Kansas State. West Division: BYU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Iowa State.

There you go. Nine times out of Ten, that is if Texas and Oklahoma get their act together, you will have a Big 12 Championship featuring the Longhorns and Sooners.

Whatever happens though, the waiver to allow a conference championship with less than 12 teams in the conference should be denied.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The problem for the Big 12 is that there are no non-Power 5 conference teams out there (if you exclude Notre Dame) that don't water down the football product from either a TV ratings or competitive basis, or both. There's nobody out there that adds any money to their overall pie unless they could raid one of the Power 5 leagues, which would be difficult given the Grant-Of-Rights contracts in place (and the unwillingness of any member to leave the SEC). But they only have themselves to blame for not aggressively getting back to 12 member before the ACC voted in their Grant Of Rights deal.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The problem for the Big 12 is that there are no non-Power 5 conference teams out there (if you exclude Notre Dame) that don't water down the football product from either a TV ratings or competitive basis, or both. There's nobody out there that adds any money to their overall pie unless they could raid one of the Power 5 leagues, which would be difficult given the Grant-Of-Rights contracts in place (and the unwillingness of any member to leave the SEC). But they only have themselves to blame for not aggressively getting back to 12 member before the ACC voted in their Grant Of Rights deal.
O.K., I don't understand this. Cincy has much greater population than Iowa. Cincy could beat Iowa State at least 8 of ten years. Ditto UCF. I'll throw in Memphis too. All greater population than Iowa and all could beat Iowa State and Kansas year to year. So, where is the water down at? Iowa State vs Cincy would surely be the equal of Iowa State vs Kansas.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is why IMO, there should be some reshuffling in the conferences. I have already mentioned 8(10 team) conferences, no divisions everybody plays everbody, 9 conference games, no CC game, 8 winners makeup an 8 team playoff.

Or go to 6 (12 team) conferences with divisions. Have a CC game with the winners comprising 6 of the 8 teams with two at large teams to fill out the 8 team playoff.

The idea of some conference reshuffling or realignment keeps a conference from adding CUSA and Sunbelt type teams to a power conference. As mentioned above, adding Houston, Rice, or SMU to the Big 12 waters down and gives the Big 12 an unfair advantage. It would be like removing Arkansas and USCe and adding South Alabama, Memphis, or Florida Atlantic to the SEC. I realize none of this will happen, just thinking outside the box

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.