Will the losing coaches do TV commentary on the title game?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I had an idle thought & decided to see if anybody else had an opinion on it...

We've seen both Saban and Urban break down teams and matchups during TV spots over the years. Of course, Urban took a little time off, and did well as a talking head on TV. Saban offered commentary on the title game last year since we weren't in it, and he got very good reviews.

I think it would be interesting if the coach that doesn't win were to offer his thoughts on the title game during the pre-title game coverage. Both Urban and Saban have proved to be very good at this. (Or course, I'm assuming our game doesn't jump-start a return of Urban's medical trouble. :))

I haven't paid that close attention to the Oregon coach, I simply don't know if he has the type personality that works on TV. As far as Jimbo goes, I think his Winston defense has hurt his credibility with enough people that the networks would hesitate to put him on as a commentator.

That makes me wonder: would they ask the loser of one game to be a commentator and not the loser of the other one?

My guess is that we will see either Saban or Meyer as a commentator for the title game, and I think that would be good. I'm not as sure we will see the loser of the FSU/Oregon game doing the same thing. On the other hand...if FSU loses, Jimbo will have won the last title, I may overestimating how badly the Winston deal has damaged his standing. They may well have him on set talking about things too.

I don't mean to ignore the Oregon coach, but I just don't know how at ease he is in front of a camera, or how he would do as a commentator.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think either Saban or Meyer would be asked to do it, as both are extremely knowledgeable and are comfortable in front of the camera. I also kinda agree about Jimbo not being asked because of all the off-the-field shenanigans involving Winston this year, and his very vocal support of Jameis. As for Helfrich, maybe one of our Oregon friends can help us out. I don't know if I have ever watched him speak outside of sideline interviews.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think that would be very interesting - and most likely be much more accurate and pertinent than most of the drivel coming from the "professional" talking heads. :)

As for Helfrich, I haven't seen that much of him on camera but judging from the few sideline interviews and post-game pressers that I've caught he seems to be pretty comfortable in front of the camera.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that would be very interesting - and most likely be much more accurate and pertinent than most of the drivel coming from the "professional" talking heads. :)

As for Helfrich, I haven't seen that much of him on camera but judging from the few sideline interviews and post-game pressers that I've caught he seems to be pretty comfortable in front of the camera.
He also handled himself very well in the session in which the college football playoff coaches got together in Orlando during awards week.

This is a great idea and I hope that the networks consider this. The only one of the four that I would turn off is the clown at FSU.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
He also handled himself very well in the session in which the college football playoff coaches got together in Orlando during awards week.
Thanks for the info...I missed that show, although I remember seeing a clip from it.

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014
All you need to know about Mark Helfrich is how he reacted to that young man asking him questions a few weeks ago. Classic. And, I think it shows he can pretty much handle anything in front of the camera...

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
Um. Mark Helfrich will be too busy on the sidelines conducting the game. He won't be able to provide commentary, except maybe afterward, when he gives a national championship acceptance speech. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.