Doug Nussmeier will become Florida's new OC

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Thayer Evans ‏@ThayerEvansSI
Michigan offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier is expected to be named to the same position at Florida per a source

Interesting hire for McElwain. two former Alabama OC on the same team in the SEC. You have to believe that JW will have his final fingerprints over the offense even with Nussmeier at the helm.

One thing for sure, good ole Dougie doesn't stay anywhere too long. :cool:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
@ChaseGoodbread
Worked together before Mac came to Alabama. Mac recommended Nuss to Saban when he left, keyed that hire.

Apparently, JM and DN worked together before, they are no strangers.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Hmmm...

I thought he did ok here, not great. I don't hold Michigan against him too much because that was a shipwreck before he got there. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Didn't see that one coming...going to remain optimistic until proven otherwise.

Mac and Nuss worked together before so that's gotta be a positive!

Are we going to ground and pound, light it up, or be balanced?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i bet i know what will probably be called on third and short ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With Nuss, too often it was a loss of two...
That and he went away from passing at times when it was working. The Iron Bowl last year coop had 6 catches for 178 yards with one of the best bama qbs. Kiffin actually feeds his playmakers and that is the difference between the two. Nuss is alright, but I figure Mac will be calling the bulk of the plays.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Nuss was unbelievably "balanced" in run/pass breakdown. The rub was he got real predictable at times.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When he was at Washington, he didn't call plays on game day. Alabama was his first job for that responsibility. I agree Michigan shouldn't be blamed solely on him. With Mac on the offensive side with him, he probably will do OK.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
@RobbieAndreu: Nussmeier helped lead Alabama to the NC in 2012. His balanced offense produced more than 60 TD passes in two seasons with the Tide.

(and a Natty!) :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
When he was at Washington, he didn't call plays on game day. Alabama was his first job for that responsibility. I agree Michigan shouldn't be blamed solely on him. With Mac on the offensive side with him, he probably will do OK.
Great point, Gtown. Nuss will work with our QB and Mac can concentrate on the play calling - or whatever combination works the best.

I'm getting more excited now the more I think about our new coaching staff!

An early Christmas! :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You'll be very successful pounding the ball then throw three incompletions. Or you'll have a RB that no one can stop and you'll stop giving him the ball.
This is the problem, but Lane is subject to it at times, also. It's like they get tired of being quietly efficient and go into "hey, look at me!" mode...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is the problem, but Lane is subject to it at times, also. It's like they get tired of being quietly efficient and go into "hey, look at me!" mode...
but to be fair Lane hasnt had the offensive line or the dominant runningbacks that Nuss and mac had so a more finese approach was probably more suitable this year than a dominating running game. Lane Kiffin's shortcomings in the mid season can probably be put on the Drake and Kelly injuries. Plus with the numbers we had this year with Blake can warrant the opinion that Lane might be the best OC that CNS has ever had. That is no disrespect to Nuss and Mac.

I think its Mac's offense, and Nuss relaying from the box what the defense looks like to him.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
You'll be very successful pounding the ball then throw three incompletions. Or you'll have a RB that no one can stop and you'll stop giving him the ball.

I hear you.

But as has been stated....with CJM as HC - it seems like we should have a dang good offense.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I had them together at Michigan. Florida will work.

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238077

December 1st, 2014, 09:35 AM
ALA2262

BamaNation All-AmericanJoin DateAug 2007LocationCumming, GAPosts2,817Post Thanks / Like

Does McElwain follow Nussmeier to Michigan?

Nussmeier has been following McElwain. Time for McElwain to follow Nussmeir to Michigan. As HC, not OC. Could keep Nussmeier as OC.

McElwain was OC at Fresno in 2007 and was replaced by Nussmeier in 2008 when McElwain came to Bama. Again in 2012, McElwain was replaced at Bama by Nussmeier when McElwain went to Colorado State.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I think CJM is choosing coaches he knows and feels most comfortable with. I mean UF isnt the easiest place to coach so I would surround my self with people I know and can TRUST the first year are so to make things go as he plans them. To me that's the mark of a smart head coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.