Bama first team OSU faces with more talent

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Two teams in the country have been in the top 5 in recruiting for the last 4 seasons (including this year). Alabama and Ohio State. So what teams that haven't recruited at the level of these two teams over this period of time have comparable talent to Ohio State? You're clouding facts with SECSECSEC mentality IMO.
FACT: Rivals recruiting: Other than Ohio State, Michigan is the only team to finish in the top 10 in the past four years. Michigan, 5th & 7th.

Other than Alabama, the SEC has: Florida, Auburn and LSU with 3 top 10 finishes. Georgia finished in the top 10 two times in past four years and Tennesseem Mississippi and Texas A&M once each. So ..... that means Alabama consistently faces top 10 talent, while OSU faces it ONCE each year.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Id say Bama played B- versus Mizzou. Still won by 29. OSU is more talented though.
Let's not get carried away with Mizzou.....Mizzou won the SEC East Division Championship. Indiana finished last in the Big 10 East Division, winning only 1 conference game. Indiana played Mizzou in Columbia, Missouri.......Indiana won. Sorry, but we're not impressed with Mizzou.....Mizzou's starting QB is an Ohio kid....we know him well, never got a sniff from us. So yes, we are more talented than Mizzou and so, one could argue, is Indiana

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Well, if you play like you did against Ole Miss, Miss St, Arky, LSU or Auburn.....you'll get hammered, 3rd string QB or not. But I expect Bama to play much better than they did in those games
If Bama scores 55 points on OSU - like they did against Auburn - I feel very comfortable that they'll be playing for the trophy.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Well, if you play like you did against Ole Miss, Miss St, Arky, LSU or Auburn.....you'll get hammered, 3rd string QB or not. But I expect Bama to play much better than they did in those games
We won't get hammered if we play like we did against them, sorry that is false.

If we play as we did against Ole Miss, Arky, or LSU we are in for a tough game.

We beat Miss St. (who I still think is a top 5 team), and without a garbage TD the game doesn't look as close.

Against *U our offense played REALLY well. If we have that kind of offensive performance against tOSU, you guys will have to put up 60 to beat us.

So, yeah...you can't just throw out close games and think that means we played poorly.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Let's not get carried away with Mizzou.....Mizzou won the SEC East Division Championship. Indiana finished last in the Big 10 East Division, winning only 1 conference game. Indiana played Mizzou in Columbia, Missouri.......Indiana won. Sorry, but we're not impressed with Mizzou.....Mizzou's starting QB is an Ohio kid....we know him well, never got a sniff from us. So yes, we are more talented than Mizzou and so, one could argue, is Indiana
So does that make VT more talented than OSU? Lol

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, AU and LSU have about the same amount of talent as OSU, considering you guys are down to your 3rd string QB..
That's the one position that sticks out the most for me in this game. I couldn't tell you the guys name or how many recruiting stars he had, but the real rub is he's started one game.

The fact he played great in that one game probably makes OSU fans feel more confident, but then there are two obvoius factors on top of that:

1. He's never seen what he's about to see from CNS and CKS!!!
2. He didn't encounter any adversity in his one and only start and he will in this game.

I'd say how he handles our defensive alignments and pressure and how he responds to some negative plays will be one of the most important deciding factors in the outcome of this game.

Obvoiusly, I like our advantage here!!!

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
FACT: Rivals recruiting: Other than Ohio State, Michigan is the only team to finish in the top 10 in the past four years. Michigan, 5th & 7th.

Other than Alabama, the SEC has: Florida, Auburn and LSU with 3 top 10 finishes. Georgia finished in the top 10 two times in past four years and Tennesseem Mississippi and Texas A&M once each. So ..... that means Alabama consistently faces top 10 talent, while OSU faces it ONCE each year.
I don't care about the other teams, we're only playing Bama and you're only playing Ohio State. You will be the best team we face all year and we will be the best team you face all year.......it will be a helluva battle and if either team doesn't bring their "A" game, they'll have problems......

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I don't believe that at all......Ole Miss, MSU, Arky et al aren't in the same universe. Auburn and LSU are the closest to us yet still trail based on recruiting rankings the last 4 years and that doesn't begin to take into account coaching staff development of talent. We lost 3 O-lineman to the draft this year, not all were 4 or 5* recruits, but they are all starting in the NFL as rookies.

We watched Wisconsin curbstomp LSU until Melvin Gordon went down, we're not LSU and you would be making a huge mistake if you thought the talent comparable....it's not
Yes, and we all saw OSU get punked out by a Va Tech team that lost 6-3 to Wake Forest. Let that sink in for a minute. With all of this talent, OSU lost AT HOME by two TDs to a 6-6 team that only scored 3 points in a loss to Wake Forest. Let's not get carried away with the "we've got more talent yada, yada, yada" stuff.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I don't care about the other teams, we're only playing Bama and you're only playing Ohio State. You will be the best team we face all year and we will be the best team you face all year.......it will be a helluva battle and if either team doesn't bring their "A" game, they'll have problems......
Best and Most Talented are different. You guys are arguably the most talented team we've played, but I personally think (and this is not meant as a slight to tOSU in any way) that Mississippi St THIS YEAR is pretty close in all honesty.

That being said, third string QB or not, if we don't show up to play we will lose. That can happen on any given Saturday, and especially when you are playing a team as talented as the Buckeyes.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Your missing the point of the discussion. Alabama has been thoroughly tested. OSU has not. Be honest, if OSU played West Virginia, @ Ole Miss, @LSU, Mississippi State, Auburn, and Missouri do you really think OSU would come out of that with one loss? We understand the game is only between Bama and OSU, but OSU hasn't really played anything close to a very good team. Bama has played about 5 of those games. OSU's signature win is Wisconsin. Wait till you see what AU is going to do to them. Wisconsin would be a .500 team in the SEC west, at best..

Last edited:

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
That's the one position that sticks out the most for me in this game. I couldn't tell you the guys name or how many recruiting stars he had, but the real rub is he's started one game.

The fact he played great in that one game probably makes OSU fans feel more confident, but then there are two obvoius factors on top of that:

1. He's never seen what he's about to see from CNS and CKS!!!
2. He didn't encounter any adversity in his one and only start and he will in this game.

I'd say how he handles our defensive alignments and pressure and how he responds to some negative plays will be one of the most important deciding factors in the outcome of this game.

Obvoiusly, I like our advantage here!!!
Bingo......therein lies our single greatest challenge. In truth, I like our matchups against your defense in most areas, however the challenge of a largely inexperienced and untested QB going up against an outstanding coaching staff with great athletes with a month to prepare may be more than he is capable.....we'll see. That said, your back 7 is vulnerable in the passing game and he can throw it downfield and we have several significant downfield threats. The key will be for us to maintain balance in the offense.....my gut tells me that we'll have to throw it to open up the run game rather than vice-versa as I expect you to force him to throw it.....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, if you play like you did against Ole Miss, Miss St, Arky, LSU or Auburn.....you'll get hammered, 3rd string QB or not.
LOL, we can play that game, too - VT, PSU, Minnesota...

'Hammered'? Alabama's biggest loss under CNS since 2007 was 14 points. If Bama plays sub-par they might lose, sure as OSU is a quality opponent - but nobody 'hammers' a CNS coached team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Surely you don't believe that??? If we play like we did against OM and Arkansas I'd expect us to possibly lose, but get hammered???

Who has hammered Bama in the CNS era??? I think our worst loss was by maybe 10-14 points during this time.

Bama would literally have to play one of the worse games in the CNS era for Bama to get "hammered" by your Buckeyes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

'Hammered'? Alabama's biggest loss under CNS since 2007 was 14 points. If Bama plays sub-par they might lose, sure as OSU is a quality opponent - but nobody 'hammers' a CNS coached team.
Haha, we posted virtually the same thing about the same time!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Let's put it this way: I would much rather face Ohio State than Auburn, Ole Miss or LSU (on the road at least). It's not even close. I imagine most Bama fans would agree.

Are there any teams that Ohio State played this year that they'd rather play than Alabama?

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Your missing the point of the discussion. Alabama has been thoroughly tested. OSU has not. Be honest, if OSU played West Virginia, @ Ole Miss, @LSU, Mississippi State, Auburn, and Missouri do you really think OSU would come out of that with one loss? We understand the game is only between Bama and OSU, but OSU hasn't really played anything close to a very good team. Bama has played about 5 of those games. OSU's signature win is Wisconsin. Wait till you see what AU is going to do to them. Wisconsin would be a .500 team in the SEC west..
No, I'm not missing the point of the discussion at all, I just don't find it relevant. This group of athletes on the Bama roster was the highest ranked group by the recruiting services in college football. The group of athletes on our roster was the second highest ranked group in college football. There will only be two teams on the field in the Sugar Bowl.....you can leave all the rest at home.

That we lost to an inferior Va Tech and struggled in some other games against lesser teams has no more bearing on the game than the fact that you lost to an inferior Ole Miss and struggled in some other games against lesser teams.....our kids will show up and we will be the best team you've played all year.....nothing else matters, imo.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Saban is the only SEC coach that hasn't lost a game by more than 14 points.

In fact, I believe Saban is one of only 2 coaches at this current school that hasn't lost a game by more than 14 points in all of FBS. There's only one other coach I know for sure that also falls into that category - Urban Meyer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Took a look at the recruiting rankings since 2010 to get an idea of the talent on the teams and the respective conferences. I took the top 25 of ESPN, Rivals, and 247 to see the average ranking of B1G and SEC teams.

Average ranking on ESPN:

Alabama - 1.6
Florida - 5.0
Ohio State - 7.8
LSU - 8.2
Georgia - 8.4
Auburn - 8.6

Ohio State was the only B1G team ranked in the top 25 every year since 2010.

Average ranking on Rivals:

Alabama - 1.8
Florida - 5.8
LSU - 7.6
Auburn - 7.8
Ohio State - 9
Georgia - 10.2
Tennessee - 13
South Carolina - 18.6

Again, Ohio State is the only B1G team ranked in the top 25 every year since 2010.

Average ranking on 247:

Alabama - 1.8
Florida - 5.8
Ohio State - 6.6
LSU - 7.6
Auburn - 8.2
Georgia - 9
Tennessee - 14.8

Sill the same, Ohio State is the only B1G team ranked in the top 25 all five years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.