Bama first team OSU faces with more talent

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No, I'm not missing the point of the discussion at all, I just don't find it relevant. This group of athletes on the Bama roster was the highest ranked group by the recruiting services in college football. The group of athletes on our roster was the second highest ranked group in college football. There will only be two teams on the field in the Sugar Bowl.....you can leave all the rest at home.

That we lost to an inferior Va Tech and struggled in some other games against lesser teams has no more bearing on the game than the fact that you lost to an inferior Ole Miss and struggled in some other games against lesser teams.....our kids will show up and we will be the best team you've played all year.....nothing else matters, imo.
The Ole Miss team Bama lost to would be a 2-3 touchdown favorite over VT. Ole Miss would probably be playing OSU next week if it wasn't for a slew of injuries that decimated their team..

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Let's put it this way: I would much rather face Ohio State than Auburn, Ole Miss or LSU (on the road at least). It's not even close. I imagine most Bama fans would agree.
Well then you got your wish.....careful what you wish for.

You and most Bama fans - to use your words - may agree with that statement, but it's laughable and has no basis in fact and my guess is that you would be in the distinct minority across the broader spectrum of knowledgeable, well-informed observers....but that is just my opinion.

We watched Wisconsin curbstomp LSU until Melvin Gordon went down, we're not LSU and you would be making a huge mistake if you thought the talent comparable....it's not
They curb stomped LSU? Ok man. LSU a team that were full of freshman playing their first college game eked out a win. They scored 21 unanswered to win the game. Melvin doesn't play defense.

You put Ohio St. In the same division as Bama and they are at a mid tier bowl at best.

That same Wisconsin team lost to NW.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

You and most Bama fans - to use your words - may agree with that statement, but it's laughable and has no basis in fact and my guess is that you would be in the distinct minority across the broader spectrum of knowledgeable, well-informed observers....but that is just my opinion.
When is the last time OSU won a game that meant anything? Your fan base is almost as bad as Oregon's. You haven't won anything meaningful since 2002. Going on 13 years..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Let's put it this way: I would much rather face Ohio State than Auburn, Ole Miss or LSU (on the road at least). It's not even close. I imagine most Bama fans would agree.

Are there any teams that Ohio State played this year that they'd rather play than Alabama?
Thanks for posting that...you saved me the trouble. :D

If the Ohio quarterback gets tackled rudely and has to sit down (Colt style) I imagine things will get messy in a hurry.
I feel a lot better about our backup at that position.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
No, I'm not missing the point of the discussion at all, I just don't find it relevant. This group of athletes on the Bama roster was the highest ranked group by the recruiting services in college football. The group of athletes on our roster was the second highest ranked group in college football. There will only be two teams on the field in the Sugar Bowl.....you can leave all the rest at home.

That we lost to an inferior Va Tech and struggled in some other games against lesser teams has no more bearing on the game than the fact that you lost to an inferior Ole Miss and struggled in some other games against lesser teams.....our kids will show up and we will be the best team you've played all year.....nothing else matters, imo.
Your opinion, Sir. And you are certainly entitled to it. Two things I'm hoping for...an injury free game for both teams. And Bama plays it's 'A' game and you will be leaving NOLA wondering what happened. Other than that, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I'm done.

ROLL TIDE!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That wasn't the statement that I responded to. He stated that Alabama has played 3-4 teams with very comparable talent to Ohio State. One team. Not the B1G and not the SEC. No team other than Alabama in the SEC has as much overall talent as Ohio State. That is my assertion and the recruiting experts rankings back this up emphatically.

Nah, pal. That's not true...

Took a look at the recruiting rankings since 2010 to get an idea of the talent on the teams and the respective conferences. I took the top 25 of ESPN, Rivals, and 247 to see the average ranking of B1G and SEC teams.

Average ranking on ESPN:

Alabama - 1.6
Florida - 5.0
Ohio State - 7.8
LSU - 8.2
Georgia - 8.4
Auburn - 8.6

Ohio State was the only B1G team ranked in the top 25 every year since 2010.

Average ranking on Rivals:

Alabama - 1.8
Florida - 5.8
LSU - 7.6
Auburn - 7.8
Ohio State - 9
Georgia - 10.2
Tennessee - 13
South Carolina - 18.6

Again, Ohio State is the only B1G team ranked in the top 25 every year since 2010.

Average ranking on 247:

Alabama - 1.8
Florida - 5.8
Ohio State - 6.6
LSU - 7.6
Auburn - 8.2
Georgia - 9
Tennessee - 14.8

Sill the same, Ohio State is the only B1G team ranked in the top 25 all five years.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Bama is a 9 or 10 point favorite against Ohio State on a neutral field. That means Bama would be favored by 6-7 in Columbus or 12-13 points in Tuscaloosa.

Bama was a smaller favorite on the road against LSU and Ole Miss and a smaller favorite at home against Mississippi State and Auburn.

So it's not just my opinion - it's also the opinion of Vegas.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes? And? Ohio State will be the only B1G team playing in the Sugar Bowl on Jan 1......
You guys act like Ohio State is head and shoulders above what Bama plays. Those numbers I posted prove otherwise. It also shows at least 4, if not 5 or 6 other SEC teams have more talent than the rest of the B1G. According to those rankings, the B1G talent would be:

Alabama
Florida
Ohio State
LSU
Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
B1G team

Those numbers show that Alabama has played equal talent at least 4 times this year while also showing Ohio State hasn't played the same talent Alabama has week-in and week-out, which also strongly suggests that the quality of player against which OSU has honed their skills is far inferior to that which UA has played.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Well, if you play like you did against Ole Miss, Miss St, Arky, LSU or Auburn.....you'll get hammered, 3rd string QB or not. But I expect Bama to play much better than they did in those games.
Certainly, this is only an opinion but I would submit that Ole Miss would have wiped the floor with OSU that day in Oxford. In fact, both Mississippi teams would probably be favored in a bowl game had Ohio State not made it to New Orleans. We do have a healthy respect for OSU here in the South but you guys are definitely not facing the quality of teams week in and week out that Bama does in the SEC West. Given our schedule this year I see you guys with 3 maybe 4 loses.

Last edited:
Well, if you play like you did against Ole Miss, Miss St, Arky, LSU or Auburn.....you'll get hammered, 3rd string QB or not. But I expect Bama to play much better than they did in those games
MSU was number one, beat them 25-20 and that game wasn't that close. We allowed a late score. AU we were up 55-36 and we allowed a late score. I would agree with you but you lost me with those two.

Looking at the schedules and conferences it's safe to say I have no reason to worry, but worry I will because I want Bama to win. We lost to Ole Miss on the last play of the game. They were unbeaten at that point. You all lost to VT. VT!! Your best game was Wischeese. A team that would have been towards the bottom of the SEC East, well, maybe the middle.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I just hope that Bama brings their A+ game and leaves it all on the field. Anyone can be beat on any given day. So as long as they go in with the right mind frame and don't look at it as a cakewalk, we should be good.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Certainly, this is only an opinion but I would submit that Ole Miss would have wiped the floor with OSU that day in Oxford. In fact, both Mississippi teams would probably be favored in a bowl game had Ohio State not made it to New Orleans. We do have a healthy respect for OSU here in the South but you guys are definitely not facing the quality of teams week in and week out that Bama does in the SEC West. Given our schedule this year I see you guys with 3 maybe 4 loses.
Ohio State would most definitely be an underdog to Ole Miss in Oxford. I would guess Ole Miss would be a 1-2 point favorite over Ohio State if they had met in a bowl game.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
If the Ohio quarterback gets tackled rudely and has to sit down (Colt style) I imagine things will get messy in a hurry.
I feel a lot better about our backup at that position.
That would be a problem......not sure who would play in that situation and Urby is keeping very quiet. We do have a Fr available but we'd prefer not to burn his RS but I'm certain he's been preparing in anticipation and our other option is one of our H-backs/WR, Jalin Marshall. Great athlete, significant threat with the ball in his hands. He'll start at H-Back/WR but will take snaps out of the Wildcat on occasion. He was a QB in high school, he can throw it but was a run first guy. You'll see him with the ball in his hands for certain....I hope it is not as QB

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Ohio State would most definitely be an underdog to Ole Miss in Oxford. I would guess Ole Miss would be a 1-2 point favorite over Ohio State if they had met in a bowl game.
Lol....Ole Miss??? That is some serious SEC homerism there my friend. The average recruiting class ranking of Ole Miss for the last 4 years is #21, with only one in the top 10. I think the only people that believe that are found on this site or others like it in the south. It does make for good humor tho.....

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
OSU may be 12-1 in the B1G but that's about like being 9-3 or 8-4 in the SEC especially in the West. Of course that would apply to the Pac-12, Big-12, and of course the ACC.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
The fact is that this is a huge game for Urban's credibility as a coach. Yes he has dominated the Big 10, but at a time when his biggest rival is down. That along with the fact that he has done nothing on a national stage yet means that the jury is still out on how good OSU truly is as a national player. Testing themselves against their own conference just won't do it at this point. See the fact that all of are underdogs in their bowls.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.