Bama first team OSU faces with more talent

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You are starting to sound like a delusional Auburn fan. You would not have enjoyed playing Ole Miss or Miss St this year. Enjoy Cooper going for 80 and a touchdown early. The Buckeyes would have 2. -3 losses in the SEC west this year.
I don't believe that at all......Ole Miss, MSU, Arky et al aren't in the same universe. Auburn and LSU are the closest to us yet still trail based on recruiting rankings the last 4 years and that doesn't begin to take into account coaching staff development of talent. We lost 3 O-lineman to the draft this year, not all were 4 or 5* recruits, but they are all starting in the NFL as rookies.

We watched Wisconsin curbstomp LSU until Melvin Gordon went down, we're not LSU and you would be making a huge mistake if you thought the talent comparable....it's not

VABuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 9, 2014
You are in for a rude awakening. No clouding facts here- Ohio St has clearly not played anyone this year that is in the same universe as Bama talent-wise. I have looked at your schedule. Your facts need to be straight to debate on this board.
Would you like to point out exactly where I said they had? Don't put words in my mouth. It's rude. Thank you.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Your delusion is getting worse. hammered? See- your Buckeyes have NO idea what it is like to play in this league week to week. You are down to a 3rd string QB. There is a reason Urban left this league. The Big 10 was really bad this year. And you WILL NOT be able to run the ball. Take that to the bank.
Well, if you play like you did against Ole Miss, Miss St, Arky, LSU or Auburn.....you'll get hammered, 3rd string QB or not. But I expect Bama to play much better than they did in those games

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Hate to burst your bubble but Ohio St is not the best team Bama will have played this year. Perhaps with Braxton Miller you could say that. Not with your 3rd team QB.
I don't care about the other teams, we're only playing Bama and you're only playing Ohio State. You will be the best team we face all year and we will be the best team you face all year.......it will be a helluva battle and if either team doesn't bring their "A" game, they'll have problems......

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You probably need to watch your tone. A few of the mods on here do not tolerate arrogant comments such as this one. People on here are extremely well informed. And most of the country fully expects the Tide to handle the Buckeyes.
Well then you got your wish.....careful what you wish for.

You and most Bama fans - to use your words - may agree with that statement, but it's laughable and has no basis in fact and my guess is that you would be in the distinct minority across the broader spectrum of knowledgeable, well-informed observers....but that is just my opinion.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You're viewpoints seem to be based on recruiting rankings only. That will get you in trouble. Ole Miss would have won vs Ohio St by 2 touchdowns earlier in the year. You clearly have your Pope Urban glasses on here.
Lol....Ole Miss??? That is some serious SEC homerism there my friend. The average recruiting class ranking of Ole Miss for the last 4 years is #21, with only one in the top 10. I think the only people that believe that are found on this site or others like it in the south. It does make for good humor tho.....

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
There are two basic things you need to have as a foundation to build a really good team on ...players and coaching.

The old football saying is "it ain't the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's". At this level you're not gonna "scheme" your way to a national championship.I went back over the last five recruiting classes for each school (2010-2014, the players that can actually play in the game) and figured the average star rating (Rivals) for each class. While some eschew recruiting rankings and stars, the correlation between top recruiting classes and top programs is undeniable. It's hard to quantify the talent level at each school, there are early departures, non-qualifiers, overachievers, underachievers etc., but these happen at every school, and, depending on which recruiting site you look at, the numbers will vary slightly, but this will give a general view of the talent the respective coaches had to work with. The average star rating for the last five signed classes were, #1 Bama-3.81, #2 tOSU-3.61, #3 FSU-3.60, and #4 Oregon-3.35. To put that in perspective, Florida was 3.67, LSU 3.61, and Auburn 3.58. Advantage...Bama

Coaching is only about 10% schemes (X's and O's) and in game decisions, 90% of it is recruiting, developing, and motivating players. Coach Bryant said something to the effect of it's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win. You don't win games on Saturday, you win 'em during practice and the off season...and CNS is the best there is at that. I would rank the coaches as #1 CNS, #2 UM, #3 JF, and #4 MH. Advantage...Bama

While it's true, when you combine talent and coaching,IMO, tOSU is the toughest team we've faced so far...slightly. But it's also true that when you combine coaching and talent, Bama is the best team tOSU has played...by far. If you look at those three games,UF, LSU, and Auburn, the teams closest to tOSU talent wise, the one weakness they all had in common was qb play. Gary Danielson said many times this year that to beat Bama you need "elite" qb play. Can tOSU get it with their third string qb? Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Not very.

To sum it up, does all this guarantee a Bama win? Not by a long shot, but I'm glad we're going into this shoot out with two fully loaded six-shooters. ;) :biga::biga::biga:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Lol....Ole Miss??? That is some serious SEC homerism there my friend. The average recruiting class ranking of Ole Miss for the last 4 years is #21, with only one in the top 10. I think the only people that believe that are found on this site or others like it in the south. It does make for good humor tho.....
What's VaTech's average recruiting ranking for the last four years???? Recruiting rankings have nothing to do with winning a football game. It helps if you're trying to compare talent; but not if you're trying to predict outcomes of games. The reality is that Ole Miss spent time at #1 this season and the majority of the season ranked ahead of OSU (and the rest of the teams on OSU's schedule). To think they would be favored/predicted to win against OSU is not that much of a stretch.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I expect it to be a heck of a game, and coaches on both sides will dig deep into their rosters before the end of the game. Whether that's by necessity or just allowing younger players some reps yet to be seen.
And we shall see.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
. While some eschew recruiting rankings and stars, the correlation between top recruiting classes and top programs is undeniable.
This is true. Last year I went back as far as recruiting rankings went (2000) and the teams who have won a NC since 2000 have finished in the TOP 10 in recruiting 95% of the time. This is why we never see Virginia Tech, Kansas State, UCLA, Wisconsin or Mississippi State win the National Championship game. These teams are plenty good enough to upset top teams, but the recruiting is not there for the Title.

Using this formula, Alabama has averaged finishing #1, OSU #4 and FSU #5 for the past four seasons. Either of these could win the Title based on recruiting. Oregon? #16. Anything can happen, but I don't see Oregon pulling this off because of recruiting.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Two teams in the country have been in the top 5 in recruiting for the last 4 seasons (including this year). Alabama and Ohio State. So what teams that haven't recruited at the level of these two teams over this period of time have comparable talent to Ohio State? You're clouding facts with SECSECSEC mentality IMO.
You know, Alabama cant win this game even if we do win. If Alabama wins big, then everyone will say that we just beat a weak overmatched/overrated team from the Big 10. That is when the "Baylor/TCU should have been there because they would have beat Alabama" comments will begin. If we somehow manage to lose against Ohio State, then that gives all of the SEC haters ammo to slam the SEC.

Everyone we beat is automatically "Overrated" in the eyes of the SEC and Crimson Tide haters.

Lose/Lose for us. Our only salvation is winning it all and I like our chances in doing so.

Your team doesn't have the pressure and isn't capable of playing big in pressure packed games like Alabama does. Every game we play the team is under pressure and close scrutiny. It doesn't matter if we are playing The Citadel or the Dallas Cowboys, our team is always under the microscope. Alabama has been there and done that, Ohio State hasn't. The Buckeyes are in for an extreme rude awaking when this game kicks off. Your team hasnt faced an OL or DL like ours all year long. That Freshman QB of yours will be running for his life and throwing into the teeth of a Kirby Smart/Nick Saban defense. Trust me, your team will not win if we bring the A-game. If both teams bring the A-game, then we'll beat you by 10-14 points. If we bring the A-game and you the B-game, we win by 21+. If we play the B-game and you the A-game, we still win by 3-7 points. You're overmatched.

Also, I am confident that Georgia, Mizzou, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss or Miss State could also beat Ohio State. Heck, LSU beat the Big 10 runner up. So if Ohio State happened to lose to Wisky in that game, would that had made LSU the honorary Big 10 champion? LOL

ROLL DAMN TIDE

Last edited:

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014
Nonsense......

Urban is a guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famer. He has nothing to prove to anyone, anywhere about his coaching chops. His record of achievement everywhere he's coached speaks for itself. He has won championships at every stop and will go down in history as one of the elite coaches of his day and in all of college football history......stop with the madness, jeez....
So then, I guess you didn't hear all the platitudes from the talking heads early this year, especially after the Ole Miss loss, saying how some teams 'owned' CNS and that Bama was 'over' and that CNS had lost it? How CNS coached teams had lost three or four in a row against top ranked teams?

You don't think the same stuff wouldn't start up about Urby losing big games and being in danger of becoming the next 'Big Game/Big Mouth Bob?' That he steamrolled the B1G except for the one or two middling decent teams and then couldn't step up in the big games against superior competion? Not sure how long you've been a Bucks fan but for the past 15 -20 years they really haven't had many regularly scheduled games where they were worried about the outcome prior to kickoff, can't say that about Bama.

BTW, very enjoyable poster, pls come back after the game so we can hear your updated opinions!

Edit Post: I do agree tho, first ballot HOF coach IF he continues coaching in the B1G for the rest of his career (kind of like CJF in the pitiful ACC), if he moves on to the golden dome I reserve the right to change my opinion...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.