Bama first team OSU faces with more talent

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When is the last time OSU won a game that meant anything? Your fan base is almost as bad as Oregon's. You haven't won anything meaningful since 2002. Going on 13 years..
Remember your 2009 season? Long time between championships for Alabama at that time. Long time. And the gap between that championship and the last one under Coach Bryant?

Neither gap meant a thing when the teams walked onto the field then, and they mean nothing now. We have the talent on the field and on our coaching staff to get this done - to reset that clock. We just have to see how it plays out.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Remember your 2009 season? Long time between championships for Alabama at that time. Long time. And the gap between that championship and the last one under Coach Bryant?

Neither gap meant a thing when the teams walked onto the field then, and they mean nothing now. We have the talent on the field and on our coaching staff to get this done - to reset that clock. We just have to see how it plays out.
I never implied that the gap had anything to do with who would/could win the game. My point was the brashness of most of the OSU fans would make you think they were the ones whose program had won 3 NCGs in 5 years..

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I agree with everything you said, except that you have a QB with only one more game of college experience than I have. Kirby will blow his mind....

Not sure who your fourth string is.....do y'all know? He may get some PT too

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I never implied that the gap had anything to do with who would/could win the game. My point was the brashness of most of the OSU fans would make you think they were the ones whose program had won 3 NCGs in 5 years..
I did not follow Alabama in 1992. How did Alabama fans feel when headed into that game? Similar circumstances. Miami was the dynasty team, Alabama the old traditional trying to make it back to the top of the mountain.

I suspect that your fans had the same type of confidence. It comes from being a fan of a program with great tradition. You always exect to win.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with everything you said, except that you have a QB with only one more game of college experience than I have. Kirby will blow his mind....

Not sure who your fourth string is.....do y'all know? He may get some PT too
This is, of course, our greatest concern - but Cardale is an unknown, not a proven disaster. Instead of wringing my hands, I choose optimism.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I did not follow Alabama in 1992. How did Alabama fans feel when headed into that game? Similar circumstances. Miami was the dynasty team, Alabama the old traditional trying to make it back to the top of the mountain.

I suspect that your fans had the same type of confidence. It comes from being a fan of a program with great tradition. You always exect to win.
As a Bama fan, I don't always expect to win. I didn't expect to win CNS first year in 2007. I didn't expect to win the SECCG in 2008 vs Florida because I knew they were the more talented/better team. There's nothing wrong with admitting that the team you are playing is better/more talented. It doesn't mean that the more talented team will win but most OSU fans want to believe that their team is as good as Bama. It simply isn't..

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

If you search these forums for posts from before the 1993 Sugar Bowl you won't find a single post that picks Alabama to win.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

I think deep down inside, more people than not across the country fully expect the Tide to roll over Ohio State in light of the SEC's track record in big games in the past decade+. Will it happen that way? Who knows. But its not just Alabama we are talking about here, its the SEC. Any SEC team being in the final four would be highly touted and picked to win and probably picked to win big.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I'll give the super honest answer here. I was 14 when we played in that game and I had only a childlike HOPE that we might could beat Miami but I was expecting us to get clobbered like the majority of people did.

We were unbelievably great on special teams and defense but our offense was below average and was a glaring weakness as we struggled to win several games that season. Miami was clubbing everybody. I think most honest Bama fans would admit we were as shocked as everyone else that we won that game and especially how we won.

But for this game on paper Bama has the far superior team that is more battled tested against an incedibly more difficult schedule than OSU. You guys may win/could win but it will be a major upset especially when you are starting the 3rd string QB.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Too much emphasis and talk about talent alone; it is only part of a winning formula. If you believe talent is the most important factor then we should never lose a game. Someone on here, I think it was Tide Engineer, said every game has a life of its own and neither the OSU - Wisconsin or Alabama - Missouri games have any bearing on the Sugar Bowl outcome.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
... it's also true that we are the most talented team that Bama has played ....
Sorry, I can't agree here. I'd say the following teams outweigh the Buckeyes in terms of talent and we have played them this year:

Ole Miss
Miss State
Auburn

Maybe - LSU

No offense and I do believe the Buckeyes present more of a challenge than Missouri did but easily all three of the above teams are better than this years' Buckeyes.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I can speak only for myself. At the time, I thought we had a legitimate chance. Maybe not 50 / 50, but close. Also as I remember, the line was 9+, and we had the #1 defense in the country in every meaningful category, having played an SEC schedule. I don't bet much, but if I did, I'd have taken the points.

Today, it's head vs. heart. Alabama has been so successful for so long that the line, from an investment standpoint, gets bid up too high.

We haven't been an underdog since the 2008 SECCG, so we're just too expensive. Our record vs. the line since then is abysmal.

If your objective is to prove your fanhood, bet Alabama and lay the points. If your objective is to win money over time, take the points.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I can speak only for myself. At the time, I thought we had a legitimate chance. Maybe not 50 / 50, but close. Also as I remember, the line was 9+, and we had the #1 defense in the country in every meaningful category, having played an SEC schedule. I don't bet much, but if I did, I'd have taken the points.

Today, it's head vs. heart. Alabama has been so successful for so long that the line, from an investment standpoint, gets bid up too high.

We haven't been an underdog since the 2008 SECCG, so we're just too expensive. Our record vs. the line since then is abysmal.

If your objective is to prove your fanhood, bet Alabama and lay the points. If your objective is to win money over time, take the points.
Our record vs the line since 2008 is over 50%. I heard multiple Vegas guys say if someone had just bet on Bama (according to the Vegas lines) for the past 5 years they would have won more times than they lost. Not sure where you got the information that Bama has been abysmal vs the spread in that time period..

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'm taking nothing away from OSU. Bama should win but OSU is very capable of winning as well. Each team in the playoffs is capable of beating anyone. As long as we execute and not make silly mistakes, we will be very hard to beat though.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Sorry, I can't agree here. I'd say the following teams outweigh the Buckeyes in terms of talent and we have played them this year:

Ole Miss
Miss State
Auburn

Maybe - LSU

No offense and I do believe the Buckeyes present more of a challenge than Missouri did but easily all three of the above teams are better than this years' Buckeyes.
Easily??? Based upon what???

Of course everybody can have their own personal opinion, but if your using something more objective, it's not close. In the last 4 recruiting classes neither of the Miss schools had any single class rated above any of ours - at least based upon Rivals rankings. The best class either of the Miss schools had was ranked 7th in 2013. MS average was 21 and Ms St average was 34. Auburn had one class - 2011 - rated above ours on Rivals. They were 9th, we were 11th in the Tressell transition year.

Missouri??? C'mon man, we know the SEC East was a dumpster fire this year. Missouri lost at home to Indiana, who won one conference game and finished last in the Big 10. Your just not going to be able to convince anybody outside of SEC country of the superiority of the SEC by using Mississippi schools and the SEC East.....this is not the year

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.